Labor Day late this year - thoughts on few days before?

brittanym33

Earning My Ears
We are booked right now for Wednesday 9/2 - Sunday 9/6. I know a lot have mentioned going the last week of August and loving the crowds...but with Labor Day late this year do we think the first week of September will be comparable to the last week of August? If not, I could potentially move the trip to Friday 9/4 - Wednesday 9/9. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

My DS12’s school typically starts the day after Labor Day but, because it falls so late this year, they are starting the week before. We are in the NE US and I assume most schools in our area will follow suit. This means our traditional last week of August trip will be moved a week earlier this year.

Uh oh. I booked that first week expecting school to start after Labour Day. Not good ... wish the school would issue the calendar already 😡

Uh oh. I booked that first week expecting school to start after Labour Day. Not good ... wish the school would issue the calendar already 😡
I am not sure when school is going to start either. They don't come out with next years calendar for my school district until sometime in March. But I looked at calendars for previous years that had Labor day on the 7th (2015, 2010 If I remember correctly) to check when school started. For me it looked like we started after labor day if the Jewish holidays were on a weekend.

We always start school after Labour day. We have booked to come that first week of September.

Our NJ school just put out their calendar for next year and we start back September 9th so we are booked to go to a Disney September 1st-7th! Some schools in NJ are starting before Labor Day. Hoping the week will have lower crowds.

Our NJ school is starting the Wednesday before Labor day. I think this may have happened once before in the 21 years I have had a child in the schools in this district.

I agree - keep it. The first week of September will have lower crowds than Labor Day week/weekend, regardless of how the school calendar plays out.

I finally got impatient and emailed the school to ask. They confirmed first day will be after Labour Day but calendars aren’t ready yet. This works out well for my schedule as it’ll mean the last day of school will be very late in June.

How long should I wait until I ask again about dates for March break? I have to book something 11 months in advance and end of Feb is rapidly approaching! My boss at work must think I’m nuts because I request time off a year in advance 😂🤪

I agree - keep it. The first week of September will have lower crowds than Labor Day week/weekend, regardless of how the school calendar plays out.
Can I ask why you think the week leading up to LD will be less crowded than the week of? Our experience has been different, but it's a few years since we've gone those 2 years, so wondering if something's change. We always found the Mon. (LD) - that Fri. has been a decent amount less crowded than the week leading up to LD. Is it because of the late LD?

Can I ask why you think the week leading up to LD will be less crowded than the week of? Our experience has been different, but it's a few years since we've gone those 2 years, so wondering if something's change. We always found the Mon. (LD) - that Fri. has been a decent amount less crowded than the week leading up to LD. Is it because of the late LD?
IMO, by the end of August, many schools across the country are already back in session. But the Labor Day holiday draws in locals or people within driving distance. I think if someone were planning to arrive on Labor Day and stay for the days that follow, then it would probably be a toss up as to whether that week or the week prior would have lower crowds. But the day or two before Labor Day weekend, Labor Day weekend itself, and the day or two following Labor Day would see an uptick because of the holiday and people taking advantage of the long weekend.

With the late Labor Day this year, its a little trickier. Where I live, schools typically start the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day. But because its falling late, there are a few districts starting the week prior. So this will shift some people's vacation plans. But all of this said, I think its six of one, half a dozen of the other as to which week will be less busy. I don't think it will be a discernable difference. I would still try to avoid Friday-Monday of Labor Day weekend if possible.

Typically those are the same week, but Labor Day week proper has been the least busy week of the year for about a decade now. That weekend brings moderate crowds - easily the least busy holiday weekend of the year - and then the week is typically 1s at every park every day.

Th week before Labor Day is usually the least busy week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but it is still moderate crowds.

So I disagree.

Typically those are the same week, but Labor Day week proper has been the least busy week of the year for about a decade now. That weekend brings moderate crowds - easily the least busy holiday weekend of the year - and then the week is typically 1s at every park every day.

Th week before Labor Day is usually the least busy week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but it is still moderate crowds.

So I disagree.
My opinion was that the week of Labor Day and the week before Labor Day are a toss up in terms of how busy it is, but if a Labor Day week trip is inclusive of Labor Day weekend itself, then I would choose the week before it. Regardless of how low crowds may be Tues-Sat after Labor Day, it doesn't negate the fact that Labor Day weekend itself (Fri-Mon) will see an uptick due to the holiday. So if a person's choices are the week before with no Labor Day weekend, versus week of Labor Day including Labor Day weekend, my vote would still go to the week before. Especially this year, when some schools are going back unusually early due to a late Labor Day, which may cause crowds to be lower than typical the week before.

We're going that week (not staying onsite, though). Arriving very late on 8/29 and flying back on 9/5. The only day I'm a bit concerned about re: crowds is Friday 9/4. We'll hit up AK that day - ending our trip at my son's favorite park.

And we went the week before Labor Day in 2018 and the crowds were manageable then. Honestly, it's the heat we are focused on but I think now that we have experience with that time of year we'll do better than last time.

We're going that week (not staying onsite, though). Arriving very late on 8/29 and flying back on 9/5. The only day I'm a bit concerned about re: crowds is Friday 9/4. We'll hit up AK that day - ending our trip at my son's favorite park.

And we went the week before Labor Day in 2018 and the crowds were manageable then. Honestly, it's the heat we are focused on but I think now that we have experience with that time of year we'll do better than last time.

My family has essentially the same vacation booked (although we are leaving on the 6th). We have the same concerns about the 4th and 5th. The plus side is that when your FP window opens, you can book for your entire stay which means you (we) will be booking our fastpasses for the holiday weekend several days ahead of the people that don't arrive until Friday. So we have that going for us...which is nice.

We have gone Labor Day and first week of Sept for many years and enjoy the low crowds. The parks close earlier, but mornings are stress free and easier to get dining reservations. We have been often, so not in a rush.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter