Labor Day at a deluxe or Christmas at a mod?

Labor day at a deluxe or Christmas at a mod?

• Go deluxe in August!

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Go mod in December!

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

olliesmom

Mouseketeer
Facing a wee bit of a dilemma here and would love to know what my fellow DIS-ers think!

Here is the run-down:

DH and I are expecting a baby in the spring, and currently have the "magical" Labour Day deal booked mid-August at the Poly. We booked for mid-August knowing that the magical deal is really the only time we would be able to afford a monorail resort, and traveling with a baby it seemed like it would be worth it. In this scenario, baby would be 4.5-5 months old. Pros: Staying at the Poly, most convenient transportation, potentially lower crowds, definitely pool weather. Cons: Hotter weather, younger baby, no Christmas magic.

DH keeps talking about switching our trip to December because he has never been to Disney at Christmas and thinks it would be awesome. He would love the decorations, Candlelight Processional, special fireworks, etc (I've been in December before and loved it!). If we went in December, obviously we would have to forego the Labour Day deal and without it, we'd likely end up at a moderate (most likely POFQ). In this scenario, baby would be 8 months old. We wouldn't go over the Christmas holidays, but likely early to mid December. Pros: DH gets to see Disney at Christmas, cooler weather, baby would be a little older and maybe easier to travel with? Cons: Moderate transportation might be a huge hassle with a baby, might be too cool to swim, potentially higher crowds.

I'm leaning toward moving our trip to December just because DH seems so excited about the idea of Disney during Christmas time, and we would be (slightly) more experienced parents by then! However, I'm having a hard time of giving up the idea of the Poly and how easy it would be to navigate the monorail with a stroller.

If you were making this decision, curious to hear what you would choose and why!

No real right or wrong choice I guess. Sounds like you have a good handle on the many variables in play.

In reading your post, I found myself thinking I'd rather save the Poly magical Labor Day deal for a few years from now when baby will be 3-4ish. My kids have been 0.5-7 in our Disney travels and many of our trips have been at Poly We've had such wonderful family time there and it's a great place for kiddos, but more so when they can be a part of the fun too. I'm specifically thinking of the pools and kids splash area in this regard.

We did a Christmas trip one year when DD was <1. I remember appreciating the cooler weather and not having to worry about her being in a stroller sauna.

I think I'd give the mod in December a try.

Probably obvious (and if you'll forgive the unsolicited advice), but with littles, expect the unexpected. You'll likely learn a lot on your trip and not everything will go as planned. But, if you can roll with things and keep a good attitude, traveling with a baby at Disney can be fun!

Happy planning!

No real right or wrong choice I guess. Sounds like you have a good handle on the many variables in play.

In reading your post, I found myself thinking I'd rather save the Poly magical Labor Day deal for a few years from now when baby will be 3-4ish. My kids have been 0.5-7 in our Disney travels and many of our trips have been at Poly We've had such wonderful family time there and it's a great place for kiddos, but more so when they can be a part of the fun too. I'm specifically thinking of the pools and kids splash area in this regard.

We did a Christmas trip one year when DD was <1. I remember appreciating the cooler weather and not having to worry about her being in a stroller sauna.

I think I'd give the mod in December a try.

Probably obvious (and if you'll forgive the unsolicited advice), but with littles, expect the unexpected. You'll likely learn a lot on your trip and not everything will go as planned. But, if you can roll with things and keep a good attitude, traveling with a baby at Disney can be fun!

Happy planning!

To be honest, we have no idea really what to expect in traveling with a baby! It's been a few years since we did Disney, we usually do 1-2 vacations per year and have recently been sticking to more active/hiking or beach vacations, but it seems like of all the locations we could choose for next year, Disney would be the most baby-friendly. We would love to go back to Hawaii with the little one but the flight is just so long! So we will be expecting a low-key, wandering around and seeing the sights vs. any kind of an active touring plan vacation.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, and always appreciate any advice from someone who has been there, done that! :goodvibes

With a baby I would absolutely would stay Poly. Poly is our resort of choice so I am biased. But, part of why we like it is it has the best transportation on property. With a baby, to go to & from Mk or Epcot on the monorail you don’t have take the baby out the stroller & fold it up.

With a baby I would absolutely would stay Poly.

yes this^^ A (grand)baby is the main reason we picked Poly for our upcoming May trip.

Also, I have never been in December, but reading about crowds during the past several days...which formerly had been a slower time...no more:( But then, August is still in hurricane season so there's that.

Facing a wee bit of a dilemma here and would love to know what my fellow DIS-ers think!

Here is the run-down:

DH and I are expecting a baby in the spring, and currently have the "magical" Labour Day deal booked mid-August at the Poly. We booked for mid-August knowing that the magical deal is really the only time we would be able to afford a monorail resort, and traveling with a baby it seemed like it would be worth it. In this scenario, baby would be 4.5-5 months old. Pros: Staying at the Poly, most convenient transportation, potentially lower crowds, definitely pool weather. Cons: Hotter weather, younger baby, no Christmas magic.

DH keeps talking about switching our trip to December because he has never been to Disney at Christmas and thinks it would be awesome. He would love the decorations, Candlelight Processional, special fireworks, etc (I've been in December before and loved it!). If we went in December, obviously we would have to forego the Labour Day deal and without it, we'd likely end up at a moderate (most likely POFQ). In this scenario, baby would be 8 months old. We wouldn't go over the Christmas holidays, but likely early to mid December. Pros: DH gets to see Disney at Christmas, cooler weather, baby would be a little older and maybe easier to travel with? Cons: Moderate transportation might be a huge hassle with a baby, might be too cool to swim, potentially higher crowds.

I'm leaning toward moving our trip to December just because DH seems so excited about the idea of Disney during Christmas time, and we would be (slightly) more experienced parents by then! However, I'm having a hard time of giving up the idea of the Poly and how easy it would be to navigate the monorail with a stroller.

If you were making this decision, curious to hear what you would choose and why!
I also find younger baby easier than older baby. Age when they aren’t mobile at will just sit in the stroller.

Yeah, along the same lines of @Disneylover99’s post, wanted to add more emphasis to something I started to say in my PP above. I never complain about Florida heat. I love WDW during any weather and I'm just happy to be there no matter what. I rarely make trip decisions based on the potential temperature.

But, Labor Day Orlando heat is really NO JOKE. It's the hottest time of the year and it can be oppressive. IMHO it definitely adds to the challenges of traveling with a small baby.

Obviously it’s manageable and people do it all the time, but having done Labor Day and early Sept for several years now, it would probably be enough to sway my decision.

IMO, with a baby, December would be the way to go. We went in August with our 5 and 8 year olds and even at those ages, the heat was too much for them at times. The low-ish crowds were fantastic, but with going with a baby, you may enjoy it much more with lower temps. Have you thought about renting DVC points? That's one way to make a deluxe stay more affordable.

I wouldn't travel with a baby in the summer. My friend did it with her 3 month old and she said it was torture.

I would look into renting points. At least look at your options. There are a ton of pros and cons but it might work for you. We are renting points for our Jersey Week trip. There's no way I could justify paying deluxe prices for that week but we got a great deal renting points. I always thought I could only afford a deluxe with the magical deal in August.

I chose Labor day at a deluxe.

Labor Day crowds will be much better, and a deluxe would win out over a mod for me pretty much any day. It will be hot, but with a baby you're likely not going to want to be at the park open to close anyway.

I've done both travel periods (late August for the past 7 years and 3 December trips with another one coming up next week). I also started traveling to WDW yearly with my DS when he was 12 months old (we used to go mid-October before he started school). There is no way I would bring a 4-5 month old down in late August. I cannot emphasize how hot it is. It is oppressive, sweat-pouring-down-your-body heat. And besides park touring (which is absolutely miserable in the afternoon), there is really nothing else to do. Mid-December will be lovely and there is so much to do other than ride rides with all of the holiday happenings. I would take a mod in mid-December with an 8-month old over Poly in late August with a 5 month old ANY day!

Christmas time for sure! Look into renting points, may end up being the same as a moderate.

I'd go in December. At first, I thought you were asking about actually going for Christmas and I was all about the deluxe (because who wouldn't rather stay in a deluxe?) in August (because it might be hot hot hot, but it won't be quite as nuts). However, when you said that it would be the first or second week in December, I completely changed my mind. Disney is so magical then, as you already know, and the weather will be so much more pleasant, especially with a small child that will likely either be strapped to you (oh how hot!) or in a stroller which doesn't always breathe that great. POFQ isn't my favorite of the mods, but in this situation, I think it might be just perfect. The smaller size means less of a hassle getting to your room with all of your baby's things and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Personally, I find the mods to be the most relaxed because they aren't as crazy as the values and don't have the resort hoppers and dinner guests that the deluxe resorts have. I'd definitely switch to a mod and go in December.

Oh, and definitely look into renting points. Through David's, you could stay at the Poly December 2-8 for $280 a night (that includes tax) and Disney has POFQ going for $225.33 plus tax per night. You could stay in other deluxe studios even cheaper. Or, stick with POFQ and enjoy that resort.

Last edited:
From a poly lover......ALWAYS chose poly.:rotfl:As you can see on my signature, once we stayed at poly, we never went back.

Christmas time for sure! Look into renting points, may end up being the same as a moderate.

Yes, I agree with this. You may want to check into renting points for a Poly studio for December (or for BLT or CCV or BRV at WL, which will be GORGEOUS at Christmas). That may bring your December resort costs down so you could end up staying at a deluxe.

I would lean towards December simply because your little one will be a little older, not that they will remember, but the might be able to express a bit better. I would be very hesitant about taking a baby in the extreme heat and humidity of FL, plus it will be hurricane season. With all these negatives about August, December is simply magical!! Early December will also yield lower crowds, the weather will permit you being able to be outside and not worry able your little one getting dehydrated or heat exhaustion. I agree with previous posters and you could look into a DVC rental such as David’s - you can get poly for probably the same as a mod. Early December is the lowest points time for DVC, but you will have to be ready to rent by the beginning of January as that is when the 11 month window opens for booking. Far ahead but rooms go quick for this time of year.

Edit to include that for next December 12/2-12/9 the cost for poly would be $2006 (via davids DVC rental). So $286 per night for a standard studio.

A poly studio direct through disney would be well over $500 per night

Last edited:
Without any consideration for the baby, I would pick to do deluxe in August. The hotel is one of the most important things to me though and Poly is one of my favorites. I don't have kids so I don't have experience in how August would affect a baby though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter