Laaaate 2021 Family Trip Planning

303Disney

Earning My Ears
Hey DIS'ers!

I am working on planning a large family trip for right after Christmas 2021. Currently thinking park dates 12/27, 28, 29.

There will be a total of 8 people traveling:
Myself, Wife, a Close Friend, Sister 1, Sister 2, Sister 2's Husband, Sister 2's Daughter (3), Sister 2's Son (1ish), My Mother, My Father

As you can imagine, planning for a large group offers unique challenges and I am looking for some stellar DIS'er advice. I am generally the Disney guy and in charge of family trip planning, but I have never planned for a large group like this before and could use some help/advice.

Room selection:
We are looking to stay at CR due to walkability for 3 year old naps.
Would people recommend DVC rental at Bay Lake, or getting 2 connecting rooms in the main hotel? Attempting to keep price down as much as possible, but don't want people sleeping on the floor in tight spaces.

Tickets:
I may be over complicating this so please slap me back into reality if I have lost it. For the 3 days, the current thought is 2 days at MK, and then the other day either at one other park, or purchasing a one day park hopper. Is getting a one day park hopper option coupled with 2 one park tickets cheaper than a 3 day park hopper? Finally Sister 2's Husband is NOT a Disney person (I know, I don't get it either). How complicated would it be to get him park tickets for just 2 of the 3 days?

Park Selection:
27-MK
28- Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios or Both (See Park Hopper conundrum above)
29-MK

Reading through blogs obviously the pandemic looms large. We are picking these late dates in hopes that fireworks will have returned and some form of character meets will have returned. All other pandemic related precautions are not a huge problem and we are all flexible enough to still enjoy some Disney holiday magic.

If we book this vacation now, what is the possibility of moving it to 2022 if things aren't looking up by July or August?

Thanks for the read, and thanks in advance for any advice! :)

DVC rentals are likely to be non-refundable so you might be better off trying to book hotel rooms with flexible cancellation policies.

Also, I believe connecting rooms are a request, never a guarantee.

For that number of people, if you want DVC and like space to spread out, a 2 bedroom dedicated (or lockoff) would be nice. You're looking at 66 to 88 points per night, depending on standard, lake view, or theme park view. At $20/point-ish, you're looking at $1320-1760 per night for a DVC rental. With a dedicated, you get 3 bathrooms. Lock-off, only 2.

A dedicated 2 BD gives you three real beds (1 king, 2 queen), a full-size sleeper sofa, and a sleeper chair. Based upon the configuration of your family, you need to have at least 5 real beds as follows:
- You & wife
- Mother & father
- Sister #1 (maybe this sister could sleep in the sleeper chair, that's about a twin size)?
- Sister #2 & husband
- Close friend (maybe this friend could stay in the sleeper sofa).

Unless Sister #2 and husband co-sleep with their 2 year old...then maybe they would have the king? You'd likely also want to rent a crib (no guarantees of getting a free one from DVC/hotel).

Even 2 hotel rooms would only give you 4 real beds.

Are you planning to get an air mattress?

Also, it is NOT cheaper to get separate tickets (1 day hopper + 2 day, 1 park tickets). If you want to hop, just get a 3-day hopper. There is no way to separate out the hopping and only pay for one day, it's hopping over 3 days or no days for the single ticket.

Back again, I priced out the contemporary for 4 adults for 1 room and 3 adults, 2 children in another room and came up with this (no tickets):

For checking in 12/27 and checking out 12/30:
5 adults, 1 room (I figured you, wife, mother, father, close friend)
Garden wing, standard view: $3044.25 (2 queens, 1 day bed)*

*garden wing, standard view was the cheapest per night*

3 adults, 2 children (I figured sister #1, sister #2+husband, 2 children)
Garden wing, standard view: $2808

Last edited:
^^By my calculations, if you end up with a 2 BD Dedicated theme park view, you're spending $5280 and you only get 3 real beds, one sleeper sofa, and one sleeper chair. Not enough sleeping spaces. Plus, likely non-refundable so you may not be able to get the date changed to 2022.

If there are no deals through Disney for that time period, you're looking at $5852.25 (because you have to pay for adults #3-5 in one room and adult #3 in the 2nd room). So, $572.25 more for a standard view in the garden wing. But you have more flexible payment options and can switch to 2022 more easily.

So, it depends on, what risk do you like to take?

And, would the prices be split evenly? I would think the friend in the daybed (or sleeper chair if you end up in a 2 BD DVC) would want a price break, but who knows.

If you are looking for flexibility and want to keep prices down, I would highly recommend pricing out two rooms in the garden wing in CR. Particularly as it sounds like you will have one or two strollers. The elevators in the main tower in CR tend to get quite backed up and it can take forever to get on an elevator. The garden wing is very conveniently located within walking outside the back of the CR lobby - close to the MK path and The Wave. Even if you aren't on ground level in the garden wing, the elevator are rarely busy. You will get the same type of room (layout, space) as you would in the tower for a lower price. You could certainly price out a 2-bedroom at BLT to see if it's cheaper (I doubt it), but you will only get three real beds in that villa. As an adult, I do not find the pull-outs comfortable in the villas.

You can buy separate types of tickets for different guests. In order to do that, you would need to book room-only and then purchase tickets separately. The big downside to that is, when you purchase tickets separately, they are non-refundable (though they retain their value so you can use that value toward the purchase of future tickets). IMHO, for maximum flexibility, I would book a package (or two packages if you are booking two rooms) with tickets (maybe start with a 3-day base and, if you decide to hop, you can always upgrade those tickets to hoppers, even when you are onsite). It will be a $200 deposit per package with the balance paid in full 30 days prior. If the pandemic is still going on and you are uncomfortable going, you can cancel up until the balance is due for a full refund or simply modify your dates and not lose any money.

Hey @Marthasor and @starry_solo you both offer some great advice. I didn't realize DVC rentals were non-refundable That is a very helpful piece of information

I think I am leaning towards the 2 bedrooms in the Garden Wing - Standard View. I am seeing it priced at $867 a night. Which would put the total for 4 nights $3,468. Adding a second room would total the room cost to $6,936. The down side is no kitchen creating extra cost for food. but the benefit is that booking flexibility you both mention and more real beds.

Real Bed 1a -Sister and Husband
Real Bed 2a - Mom & Dad
Sleeper Sofa - Daughter

Real Bed 1b - Myself & Wife
Real Bed 2b - Friend
Sleeper Sofa - Sister

The DVC 2 bedroom is $5,280 for a standard view. Plus is it has kitchen, limiting paying for park breakfasts and maybe some lunches. The negative is limited real beds, and non-refundable.

King- Mom & Dad
Queen1 - Sister & Husband
Queen2 - Myself & Wife
Pullout Queen - Friend
Pullout Twin - Sister

I might end up being a bit democratic and putting it up for a vote among the group. I think we will end up booking tickets separately since Sister's Husband does not want to be in the parks all 3 days. Considering it has been a journey to have him even think about this vacation, placating him with a cheaper ticket option might be the best solution.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter