LA / Disneyland Area Hotel Strikes and Picketing - Is it Still Happening?

pokee99

Mouseketeer
While looking to book a hotel for January, I've been seeing some horrid reviews where guests were awakened in the middle of the night to bongo drums, shouting and loud music by the picketers.

Has anyone here experienced this? Any idea how long this is going on for, and should we avoid hotels where guests have already been severely impacted (like the Hilton and Marriott by the convention center)?

We went over Labor Day weekend and stayed at the Sheraton and it was terrible. People were out on the street at 4:00 am with blow horns, drums, sirens, etc. we stayed on points and the hotel refunded all of them because it was so bad. I also saw a few people out front of that hotel again when we drove by in October but it didn’t look as bad as it was over Labor Day.

We are staying there again in December but i have a backup booked and will call the week before to ask about it. They knew it was coming when we checked in during our stay in September but had no idea the noise would be so bad.

It's off and on, could happen at any moment for a few days at a time until contract agreement is reached- been going on since July 1st. The union prefers it this way since it keeps hotel management 'on edge' with random walkouts rather than one massive long-term strike.

Unite Here Local 11 is the union that represents a few Anaheim properties (not all)
https://www.unitehere11.org/

I won't get into debate but IMO we all know how bully type union tactics can be to disrupt business.

Last edited:
If it's still ongoing, it's probably best to avoid the hotels on the posted list. I know in the reviews I read for the Anaheim Hilton / Marriott Convention Center it was really, really bad! Dozens of horrified guests that left 1 star reviews because management did nothing about it. I don't blame them... I wouldn't want to spend $300 a night to listen to that at 3am!

It only looks like there's a couple of Anaheim hotels affected, but sound like that travels! There's also a lot of popular area hotels affected, like the Sheraton Universal.

Last edited:

Any idea how long this is going on for,
Local 11 will strike and disrupt guests until hotel owners agree to negotiate with them. No date has been set to to stop the picketing.

From the list via the link, it sounds like the hotels are the major brand chains (Hilton, Sheraton, etc.). We've got a room booked at the Camelot, which is independent(?) so I'm guessing safe.

It was going on this morning. I know one of our blizzcon friends recorded it from hotel lulu, and i think it was going on at the hilton by the convention center. I did not look at a map, but i assume they must be near each other? We couldn’t hear it at Westin.

it sounded like 6th grade band all trying to play the same note and failing. I have no idea what could make such an awful noise.

Ugh, I might have to change our hotel. We always stay at the Anaheim Marriott but our last trip in oct, we were woke up at 5A with the noise. It went on for an hour. It sounded as if the protesters were mocking indigenous people with the drumming 🥁 and chanting- very offensive. We are coming back later this month but it sounds like this is a continuous problem and I don’t want to take the risk of it happening while we are there.

Yes it’s still happening, I believe at the Hilton and/or Marriott. Sibling’s union was going to have an event there next week and found out the strike was still going on so event is occurring elsewhere. No scabs here!

I just spoke to the Anaheim Marriott front desk. She said they had one protest last week but otherwise quiet. I actually changed my mind after speaking with her- we will stay there again on upcoming trip. She said we can do a pool view inside room, which doesn’t face the city, and away from the noise. She said the noise is minimal on the other side and most guests do not get woke up from it. I’m glad because we really love this hotel and everything else about it.

I just spoke to the Anaheim Marriott front desk. She said they had one protest last week but otherwise quiet. I actually changed my mind after speaking with her- we will stay there again on upcoming trip. She said we can do a pool view inside room, which doesn’t face the city, and away from the noise. She said the noise is minimal on the other side and most guests do not get woke up from it. I’m glad because we really love this hotel and everything else about it.
Thanks for the update; I feel the same way about the Hilton and really don't want to change my reservations.

Thanks for the update; I feel the same way about the Hilton and really don't want to change my reservations.
They did remove our parking fees as an apology when we checked out which I was happy with. Our Lyft driver told us he had Hilton guests who were woke up on multiple days and they were given FULL refunds for entire stay! Just have them place you facing the other side and you should be fine! It is hard to move once you’ve found a place you are familiar with and love.

The morning we were woke, the front desk said they were in communication with Anaheim PD, but nothing usually happened because it is considered a “peaceful protest” 🤷‍♀️

Ahh, so it's the city that doesn't want to enforce the noise ordinance. yikes...
I was shocked to be honest. I had not heard of this protest prior to our trip, but it sounds like we got “lucky” at 5A. I read reviews where this was happening for over an hour at 3A. It IS bad. My kids are heavy sleepers and we were wide awake. I felt bad for the homeless who sleep right outside without any barriers 😔

I’m glad I’m aware of it, so I know it isn’t a fire alarm or emergency. The first thought I had was fire 🚨

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter