Kristin & Geoff's Wishes PJ - 4/6/2014 - WP/ADH/Isola - Final details, part 1!

Excited for you guys can't wait to read more!!

Thank you!!

Just started reading your PJ. Totally love your proposal story! Can't wait to hear some more planning! ::yes::

I love our proposal story too! He did a great job. Thanks for reading! :thumbsup2

Love your proposal story and ring pictures. Good luck planning!

Thank you!

Congratulations! I love your thread. It is very helpful for me planning a similar day! Good luck

Glad you're planning a similar day!! :) Same venues?

Thanks for the recap! Those gel cake things look rather interesting. I would have had a dry wedding if I had it at home since a lot of the extended family are big drinkers and tend to get sloppy drunk. Not exactly a wedding memory.
The rustic romance is pretty, but I think when people think rustic, it's just not that color palate. At least, that's what threw me off of it. I think Cindy's coach is beautiful, but for the price you don't spend too much time in it. I nixed it after realizing I would only be in it for 15 mins tops.
Rapunzel is beautiful. It is the only Disney dress that I liked as well, as I found the other too poofy or just not me.
Can't wait to see how your plans continue to come along :)

Great pics of the bridal showcase! I was debating about going to it, but I felt like ah.. why waste money, but then when I see pictures of it.. I wished I would have gone =( oh well!

Cinderella's Coach is definitely expensive! My bridesmaids says that if I want the full impact that I should do it, but I always turn them down, because it definitely has a hefty price tag and besides I don't think it really fits me.. its too over the top, I think I'd feel uber uncomfortable in it. lol

Great update.

Nothing wrong with having no lcohol at your wedding. It's your day and should be about what you and your partner want. You're already paying for your guests meals and non-alcoholic drinks, they don;t like it than maybe you will have a guest or 2 less. Weddings are about seeing a couple commit not about how much booze you can drink on their dime :)

Thanks for the recap! Those gel cake things look rather interesting. I would have had a dry wedding if I had it at home since a lot of the extended family are big drinkers and tend to get sloppy drunk. Not exactly a wedding memory.
The rustic romance is pretty, but I think when people think rustic, it's just not that color palate. At least, that's what threw me off of it. I think Cindy's coach is beautiful, but for the price you don't spend too much time in it. I nixed it after realizing I would only be in it for 15 mins tops.
Rapunzel is beautiful. It is the only Disney dress that I liked as well, as I found the other too poofy or just not me.
Can't wait to see how your plans continue to come along :)

Yeah, that's one of the several reasons we're not having it - while I love everyone who will be at the wedding, there's several that you do NOT want to combine with alcohol unless you want...interesting things to happen. Which is one thing if you're out on the town, another if it's my wedding haha!

I think the reason I liked it so much was that Rachel (my MOH in the pictures) had a rustic, shabby chic themed wedding and her colors were the same (blue, green, and wood accents) as the table, so in our minds it reminded us a lot of her wedding. :)

Yeah! If we had it for longer that would be one thing, but FIFTEEN MINUTES? Woof. Or if it was even just under a thousand, I'd be tempted, but that price, for that amount of time...yikes! Something I'd love to splurge on, but unsure if that is a doable thing.

Great pics of the bridal showcase! I was debating about going to it, but I felt like ah.. why waste money, but then when I see pictures of it.. I wished I would have gone =( oh well!

Cinderella's Coach is definitely expensive! My bridesmaids says that if I want the full impact that I should do it, but I always turn them down, because it definitely has a hefty price tag and besides I don't think it really fits me.. its too over the top, I think I'd feel uber uncomfortable in it. lol

Aww, it's okay! I definitely think it's something that wasn't a MUST see. It was great since I live local, and it's one of those "if you can make it, go to it" things, but it wasn't as great as the previous one a few years ago sounded! :)

Yeah, the coach isn't my taste really either, I'd prefer a retro car - moreso Mom loves Cinderella...but she also likes one of the 1940s cars Disney has available, so maybe we can swing that! :)

Great update.

Nothing wrong with having no lcohol at your wedding. It's your day and should be about what you and your partner want. You're already paying for your guests meals and non-alcoholic drinks, they don;t like it than maybe you will have a guest or 2 less. Weddings are about seeing a couple commit not about how much booze you can drink on their dime :)

Thank you! That's my thoughts exactly...if the couple wants to have it, awesome, but if not it's not something I expect/demand. Especially with us doing a full reception and dessert party, it's not like we're not providing for them. :)

Just joining in! I love your proposal and the video (I love watching Disney proposal videos way too much)! Your ring is gorgeous and I love your plans!

Really enjoyed your recap of the bridal show (and your recap on the wedding podcast too). Oh Tutera, what a useless response to a perfectly reasonable question. Fail, indeed!

Anyway, looking forward to reading more! :goodvibes

I'm just joining and wanted to say hi!

We have very similar wedding plans (Wedding Pavilion/Atlantic Dance Hall/hopefully a dessert party, if we can afford it). I loved seeing your photos of ADH! We won't be able to see the venue in person until our planning visit (probably in May), so the more pictures the better for us!

Are people really giving you grief about not serving alcohol at your wedding? Really?:rolleyes2

OMG please do not listen to them. The nerve of some people. There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with your choice to have a dry wedding. It's YOUR wedding. You do what you want. If people cannot wait a few hours to down a drink, they can certainly find a bar nearby and get their drink on. Your guests are there to help you celebrate your union in marriage, not get plastered. And no one should be shaming you into feeling bad about your decision. In fact, shame on David for reacting in that manner and in front of an audience. Epic fail on his part.

Enjoy your planning and your special day the way you want. :wizard:

Thank you for sharing your pictures and viewpoint from the wedding expo...I was kind of bummed that I couldn't go this year and figure that by next year, I'll be too far along in my planning for it to be beneficial....but with your pictures, Carrie's pictures and her podcast, I feel like I got the gist of it, and I'm not sorry that I missed it after all.

I am disappointed in David Tutera's response to your question though. Although from watching his show, I get the feeling the man definitely likes to drink...so maybe not surprising? But seriously, it should be about what couple wants, is comfortable with and can afford!!

As for how to respond gracefully when people act offended (seriously...what is wrong with these people!!!!) I would maybe try a humor approach...like say, "what you need a drink to watch me get married? am I breaking your heart here?" or something?? I don't know. You shouldn't have to respond, because you shouldn't have people making you feel bad about your choices for YOUR wedding!!!!! ARGH.

Having said that, I have a feeling I will get pressured to include at least champagne at our brunch or lunch reception (not sure yet) and my fiance doesn't drink AT ALL and I don't drink champagne :confused3

Good luck and thanks again for your showcase report, both here and on the Disney Weddings Podcast (AWESOME!!).

Brooke

First off-- I (and my parents and MOH) were seated behind you to your right at the DFTW Showcase during the David Tutera bit and heard your question.

Your particular question really actually was useful to us AND his answer bothered my parents a lot because we are Old Southern (not the Julep-sipping kind, the sweet-tea-sipping kind, you know Southern sweet tea was developed as an alternative to "strong drink"!) and have a religious/cultural background that strongly objects to alcohol (I have only been to one non-family wedding that even served alcohol) and my parents have NEVER been to a wedding that served alcohol. So yes, my family only has "dry" weddings but my parents had never even heard it called that. (My MOH, on the other hand, is a professional bartender, so... yeah) We had worried about offending some of our family and friends by SERVING alcohol, as a matter of fact.

So I really, really felt for you as you asked your question-- honestly alcohol is probably way out of our budget anyway that it's easy to tell people we just can't afford it when really we too just don't drink a lot and... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be missed, but we have SO many friends (particularly groomsmen) who are very vocal about not having alcohol... it sounds crazy but to a lot of people (men, in our case) it can be a deal-breaker.

It's sad to think people might think more highly of alcohol than of you, but we've already experienced that sentiment from some of DF's family and friends. It's hurtful but honestly-- it's your wedding in the end (he did tell you that!) and I won't have any problem directing people to Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk or any of the clubs on I-Drive to go get their drink on. They're not coming "all the way to FL" to drink-- they're coming to support us, and it's not our job to supply their alcohol when it's just not a priority to us.

Further, all of my DF's guys smoke cigars as a hobby but I'm not budgeting in those for the reception, either! They are welcome to bring their own and enjoy them at the lounges at DTD or on their hotel balconies, but I'm not supplying them because it's not my thing-- same thing with alcohol.

Sorry to rant-- I just want you to know that I'm 100% on your side when it comes to what you asked about, and wasn't satisfied with his answer (I've been to literally dozens of wonderful weddings that were completely "dry" and every one lived to tell about it).

Now that that's out of the way, hi, I'm Virginia! :wave2: We need to be good friends-- we are also doing the WP and probably ADH on the 5th of April 2014 (6th was/is our backup)-- this could possibly change, of course, after the date lottery in a few weeks. I'm having some confidence issues with the date-- I used to work at WDW and want to avoid Spring Break and anything resembling a busier season while down there-- the best time of year at WDW to me is the early Spring when the weather is perfect and there's no one there, and that's what I'm going for, but I'm kinda worried that might still be too close to Spring Break season there (it's usually a few weeks before Easter, around St. Patty's) but yeah.

I did have a question-- what discount did you mention and is it applicable to that weekend of the 5th-6th? My consultant (Diane) is on vacation right now (starting today, actually) so I can't talk to her until April! We're having some budgeting concerns at the moment and I'd like to know, if you have anything to share-- that might help us out a bit before we have to pay the deposit!

Just joining in! I love your proposal and the video (I love watching Disney proposal videos way too much)! Your ring is gorgeous and I love your plans!

Really enjoyed your recap of the bridal show (and your recap on the wedding podcast too). Oh Tutera, what a useless response to a perfectly reasonable question. Fail, indeed!

Anyway, looking forward to reading more! :goodvibes

Aww thank you! I love the video too, it's wonderful to be able to relive the moment whenever! :D Thanks for reading!

I'm just joining and wanted to say hi!

We have very similar wedding plans (Wedding Pavilion/Atlantic Dance Hall/hopefully a dessert party, if we can afford it). I loved seeing your photos of ADH! We won't be able to see the venue in person until our planning visit (probably in May), so the more pictures the better for us!

Oh wonderful!! Do you have a wedding date in mind?! You'll LOVE both venues, photos don't do either of them any justice. :)

Are people really giving you grief about not serving alcohol at your wedding? Really?:rolleyes2

OMG please do not listen to them. The nerve of some people. There is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with your choice to have a dry wedding. It's YOUR wedding. You do what you want. If people cannot wait a few hours to down a drink, they can certainly find a bar nearby and get their drink on. Your guests are there to help you celebrate your union in marriage, not get plastered. And no one should be shaming you into feeling bad about your decision. In fact, shame on David for reacting in that manner and in front of an audience. Epic fail on his part.

Enjoy your planning and your special day the way you want. :wizard:

Thank you!!

Thank you for sharing your pictures and viewpoint from the wedding expo...I was kind of bummed that I couldn't go this year and figure that by next year, I'll be too far along in my planning for it to be beneficial....but with your pictures, Carrie's pictures and her podcast, I feel like I got the gist of it, and I'm not sorry that I missed it after all.

I am disappointed in David Tutera's response to your question though. Although from watching his show, I get the feeling the man definitely likes to drink...so maybe not surprising? But seriously, it should be about what couple wants, is comfortable with and can afford!!

As for how to respond gracefully when people act offended (seriously...what is wrong with these people!!!!) I would maybe try a humor approach...like say, "what you need a drink to watch me get married? am I breaking your heart here?" or something?? I don't know. You shouldn't have to respond, because you shouldn't have people making you feel bad about your choices for YOUR wedding!!!!! ARGH.

Having said that, I have a feeling I will get pressured to include at least champagne at our brunch or lunch reception (not sure yet) and my fiance doesn't drink AT ALL and I don't drink champagne :confused3

Good luck and thanks again for your showcase report, both here and on the Disney Weddings Podcast (AWESOME!!).

Brooke

Aww thank you! It means a lot. And yeah, you really didn't miss much from the showcase - it was fun to go to, but honestly there wasn't anything I learned there that I didn't already know from the DIS and Carrie's book! :thumbsup2

First off-- I (and my parents and MOH) were seated behind you to your right at the DFTW Showcase during the David Tutera bit and heard your question.

Your particular question really actually was useful to us AND his answer bothered my parents a lot because we are Old Southern (not the Julep-sipping kind, the sweet-tea-sipping kind, you know Southern sweet tea was developed as an alternative to "strong drink"!) and have a religious/cultural background that strongly objects to alcohol (I have only been to one non-family wedding that even served alcohol) and my parents have NEVER been to a wedding that served alcohol. So yes, my family only has "dry" weddings but my parents had never even heard it called that. (My MOH, on the other hand, is a professional bartender, so... yeah) We had worried about offending some of our family and friends by SERVING alcohol, as a matter of fact.

So I really, really felt for you as you asked your question-- honestly alcohol is probably way out of our budget anyway that it's easy to tell people we just can't afford it when really we too just don't drink a lot and... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be missed, but we have SO many friends (particularly groomsmen) who are very vocal about not having alcohol... it sounds crazy but to a lot of people (men, in our case) it can be a deal-breaker.

It's sad to think people might think more highly of alcohol than of you, but we've already experienced that sentiment from some of DF's family and friends. It's hurtful but honestly-- it's your wedding in the end (he did tell you that!) and I won't have any problem directing people to Downtown Disney and the Boardwalk or any of the clubs on I-Drive to go get their drink on. They're not coming "all the way to FL" to drink-- they're coming to support us, and it's not our job to supply their alcohol when it's just not a priority to us.

Further, all of my DF's guys smoke cigars as a hobby but I'm not budgeting in those for the reception, either! They are welcome to bring their own and enjoy them at the lounges at DTD or on their hotel balconies, but I'm not supplying them because it's not my thing-- same thing with alcohol.

Sorry to rant-- I just want you to know that I'm 100% on your side when it comes to what you asked about, and wasn't satisfied with his answer (I've been to literally dozens of wonderful weddings that were completely "dry" and every one lived to tell about it).

Now that that's out of the way, hi, I'm Virginia! :wave2: We need to be good friends-- we are also doing the WP and probably ADH on the 5th of April 2014 (6th was/is our backup)-- this could possibly change, of course, after the date lottery in a few weeks. I'm having some confidence issues with the date-- I used to work at WDW and want to avoid Spring Break and anything resembling a busier season while down there-- the best time of year at WDW to me is the early Spring when the weather is perfect and there's no one there, and that's what I'm going for, but I'm kinda worried that might still be too close to Spring Break season there (it's usually a few weeks before Easter, around St. Patty's) but yeah.

I did have a question-- what discount did you mention and is it applicable to that weekend of the 5th-6th? My consultant (Diane) is on vacation right now (starting today, actually) so I can't talk to her until April! We're having some budgeting concerns at the moment and I'd like to know, if you have anything to share-- that might help us out a bit before we have to pay the deposit!

Oh that's awesome we were seated so close! And that sounds amazing! Maybe we'll be wedding twins haha, or at least close to it! ::yes:: Do you find out on the 9th? That's when Pam told us we're finding out our date.

The discount is because my Mom is a Cast Member! :thumbsup2

Updates have been sparse here for a bit, but should be picking up soon - our first pick date is April 6th, so we're about to find out our date! I emailed Pam, and she said she'll be putting in our request on Monday the 8th and we'll hear by the end of day on the 9th. I'm really nervous - I don't care what date we get, but my stomach is in excited knots just finding out. Ah!!

In other wedding news:

We booked our photographer! It was really hard, we found a lot of great photographers. In the end we decided to go with Studio 222. One of my bridesmaids (the one who photographed our proposal!) is good friends with Becka and Nate, so we all got to meet up and really hit it off. I'm so excited to work with them, their photos are BEAUTIFUL! They were kind enough to sign a flexible date contract with us til we find out our date next week. Contract is signed and deposit in! Here's where the wedding goes beyond Pinterest and starts costing money haha. ;)

We're down to choosing between two videographers - Shutterlife Productions and Imprint Cinema. Anyone had any experience with either?

Also, bridesmaids and groomsmen have been picked for awhile now, but we went more into detail about what they're wearing. For groomsmen, we don't know suits yet of course, but we're having them all wear Chucks. Geoff LOVES them and it's almost his signature...at grad school he was the guy with the chucks haha. So all the groomsmen and Geoff will wear black (or whatever color suit they get) chucks. Since we'd feel weird being like "you have to rent a suit AND BUY VERY SPECIFIC SHOES" we're making the shoes their groomsmen present, which all the guys were fans of. :thumbsup2

For my bridesmaids...I'm SO laid back about what they're all wearing. My biggest thing is I don't want to see them drop a couple hundred on a dress that they'll never wear again, so I basically said 'hey, our color scheme is anywhere from light blue to aqua to mint (anywhere in that range) and red. Find a light blue/mint dress, short, that you'll wear again, and red shoes. I don't care if they're flats, heels, whatever you feel comfortable in'. And they were psyched! I recommended a few places to look at, like J Crew and Modcloth, just to get ideas. Seems a lot of them like Modcloth styles which fit in with our theme perfectly!

Some of the dresses the girls have already started eyeballing (nothing definite of course!):

jcrew-dusty-shale-mirabelle-dress-in-silk-chiffon-product-1-2778246-616542229_large_flex_zps0ed65ef3.jpeg
e10aba7259f411e2b71122000a9e28e1_7_zps6db3b132.jpg
438870825a0d11e29b2022000a9f1561_7_zps55289d5d.jpg

I'm really excited to see what they all pick!! :) Don't get me wrong, matching BM dresses are very nice too. But I'm super psyched to see my mistmatched BMs - they all have such different styles, it'll be awesome! (I have a love of non-matching bridesmaids if you couldn't tell haha, I think it looks awesome).

Also, this Sunday my MOH, Rachel (the one in the showcase photos!) is throwing Geoff and I an engagement party! Super excited. pixiedust:

And that's where things stand now! More news coming on the 9th! Thanks for reading. :wave2:

Yay, you're going to find out about your dates soon! Fingers crossed you get exactly what you want!

I love the mismatched bridesmaid dresses look you're going for, and those are some great options individually and together! I tried to make this happen with my bridal party, and they decided to get dresses from bridal shops and to try and get the same colour (the difference will be very slight in the end). Go figure!

Have fun at your engagement party! :goodvibes

Hi! I'm just now following along. I was really touched by your proposal video! It was so sweet to see the moments leading up to it and the happy phone calls afterwards. So cute.

I love your colors and I'm curious about how the seating works at ADH. Looking forward to the next update!

Well, it's official!! We got our date!!! We're now officially getting married on Sunday, April 6, at 12 pm. Ceremony is the Wedding Pavilion, reception is at the Dance Hall, dessert party at Italy Isola. Everything we wanted!!

We sent in our room block - right now we're blocking Pop Century (Art of Animation wouldn't offer a discount, sulk), Port Orleans, and Boardwalk. We originally meant to put Port Orleans: Riverside, but accidentally put French Quarter. I know we can change it once we get our room block coordinator, but does anyone have any advice on Riverside vs French Quarter? We like the exteriors of both, but haven't stayed at either. :confused3 We also filled out the information sheet, and our coordinator Pam said it'll get back to us within 7-10 business days with our LOA.

We also booked our videographer. We're going with Shutter Life Productions. They're amazing!! Check them out.

In less happy news, this week has been rough. The Boston marathon incident was horrifying of course...then this morning my Granddad died...and we're taking our dog to the vet within the next couple days before his funeral - she's been refusing food and can't stand when she uses the bathroom. She's 16 (and a golden retriever/lab mix) so we won't be shocked if it's time for her to be put down, but...it's a rough time. So, the wedding planning is a bit bittersweet right now. But I'm happy things with the wedding, at least, are running smoothly. Geoff has been an amazing support.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Granddad. I also know how tough it is when a pet is nearing that time. My dog was in a similar state as yours and we had to put him down within a few weeks of my Mom's passing. So I'm definitely sending lots of :goodvibes your way.

On a positive note, it is great that you have the wedding planning to fill your days with happy thoughts for the future! How exciting that you got the date and locations you wanted! It must be a big relief.

I don't have any experience or info for you on Port Orleans, but I'm sure the wonderful ladies on here will be able to help!

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. And I'm sorry to hear about your dog. How horrible to have to deal with so much unhappiness all at once.

But, congratulations on getting your date! Glad to hear that the wedding planning at least is going well. :goodvibes

So sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I've actually never lost a pet, but I'm sure it's just as hard.

The bombings were terrible! I have family in Cambridge, so that was pretty rough for me. Trying to make sure they were ok. Luckily, they were not in the area at the time.

The good news is you got your date and venues! That's exciting!

Hey everyone! It's been awhile but things are moving along nicely! :cool1:

We sent out our save the dates! Here's a grainy photo of them:

922706_10152307939805752_148786970_n.jpg

They're actually magnets! We got them from Minted, they're super nice. The photo is courtesy of one of my bridesmaids who is also a professional photographer. She's awesome!

We officially have our planner!! We have Lisa Smith. She seems super nice - she called me at work the other day, and we chatted for about 15 minutes about the theme of the wedding and such. She recommended we see Great Gatsby for some retro ideas. I'll call it wedding research! ;)

Now we just have to reply with some ideas for planning session dates. Since we're local we're definitely flexible! It'll be sometime in October most likely, since that's six months before the wedding. SO excited!!!

Other than that, not much new! Videographer is officially booked - we went with Shutterlife Productions. We also booked part of our honeymoon, a 7 night cruise onboard the Disney Fantasy!! That leaves on a Saturday, and our wedding is on a Sunday, so there's a gap. We're HOPING to bridge the gap by staying at WDW (even being local, it's still lovely) but that'll depend on budget. At the very least though, we have our week's cruise! I'm so excited, it'll be my first cruise ever!! :)

Next big thing will be getting a wedding dress...which isn't til July haha. Til then I'll keep everyone posted with whatever comes up!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Granddad. I also know how tough it is when a pet is nearing that time. My dog was in a similar state as yours and we had to put him down within a few weeks of my Mom's passing. So I'm definitely sending lots of :goodvibes your way.

On a positive note, it is great that you have the wedding planning to fill your days with happy thoughts for the future! How exciting that you got the date and locations you wanted! It must be a big relief.

I don't have any experience or info for you on Port Orleans, but I'm sure the wonderful ladies on here will be able to help!

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather. And I'm sorry to hear about your dog. How horrible to have to deal with so much unhappiness all at once.

But, congratulations on getting your date! Glad to hear that the wedding planning at least is going well. :goodvibes

So sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I've actually never lost a pet, but I'm sure it's just as hard.

The bombings were terrible! I have family in Cambridge, so that was pretty rough for me. Trying to make sure they were ok. Luckily, they were not in the area at the time.

The good news is you got your date and venues! That's exciting!

Thank you all! The funeral was very sweet and it was a good sendoff. And somehow my dog rebounded and is now doing better than she has in months! Being 16 I'm sure we don't have a lot of time...but I'm grateful we have more time with her than we originally thought. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter