• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ko'olina resort in Oahu

rlsmedina

Earning My Ears
Hello..

Was wondering if anyone out there have stayed at the Ko'olina resort in Oahu using DVC points? If so... opinions and details of your stay would be appreciated. :teeth:

P.S.
New DIS member...just registered! :wave2:

While we haven't stayed on points, we are owners at Ko'Olina. It's a beautiful resort that is about 30 - 40 minutes from Honolulu. It's in a gated community of homes with the JW Marriott a short walk from the property. When the resort area is complete, it will include a Ritz hotel, and the Grand Ko'Olina hotel and aquarium complex fashioned after Atlantis and Discovery Cove.

IMO, you need a car if you're going to stay here. There is one restaurant on the grounds, and three more at the JW. The grocery selection is similiar to that at the DVC properties but there is a grocery store about 10 minutes from the resort, as well as many of the chain restaurants.

Any other specific info you're looking for?

Wow.. sounds awesome! I think we will give it a try next year with our points.
Thanks for the info!

Oh another question for you.. when was the last time you stayed at Ko'olina? Did you find the construction work being done around the resort to be loud around the actual resorts?

We aren't using points to stay there, but we are staying there December 19th for five nights :) We're staying on a timeshare tour package... funny enough we'd thought about buying here when it was under construction... It should be a really nice stay for us.... it looks to be in a quiet, nice area... just what we're looking for....

Construction didn't really bother us. During the day hours and being from IL we were up early any way. We had all kinds of touring plans, but ended up doing a bunch of nothing. Enjoyed the pool and the ocean, and the adult beverages - ahh...nothing like a LavaFlow. :cool1:

We'll be returning in June and I can't wait to see the progress they've made.

It's a great resort but somewhat out of the way for the tourist things oh Oahu. Any request for there should be made a full 12-13 months in advance. One should realize that the chances of getting a unit are slim, a 2 BR almost zero for most times of the year. A direct exchange with a Marriott owner there would be the best option.

I traded into the Marriott Ko-Olina Resort in September 2004. Don't recall all the details, but was on a wait list for a while and took a smaller room than I would have preferred just to be sure I would make an exchange. Room was larger than a studio, had a refrig/microwave/sink area. Very nice accommodations equivalent to DVC. Only draw back? Located on the west coast of Oahu approx. 20 miles from Honolulu. Nice shopping area with restaurants about 10 minutes away.

Enjoyed everything about the resort except the distance to most all of the attractions on the island. Had a rental car. Visited Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center and some dinner shows at Wakiki Beach area. :cool1:

Bama Penguin... how long were you on the waiting list for and how far in advance did you register on the waiting list?
I just registered right now on the DVC so called search waitlist for the Marriott Ko-Olina Resort and the Maui Marriott for the Aug. 2006 timeframe. I hope I got in early enough to get that time slot. Back up plan would be WDW resort if I don't get it. Hard part is trying to coordinate airfare slots with the uncertinty of nailing a place to stay.

Bama Penguin said:
I traded into the Marriott Ko-Olina Resort in September 2004. Don't recall all the details, but was on a wait list for a while and took a smaller room than I would have preferred just to be sure I would make an exchange. Room was larger than a studio, had a refrig/microwave/sink area. Very nice accommodations equivalent to DVC. Only draw back? Located on the west coast of Oahu approx. 20 miles from Honolulu. Nice shopping area with restaurants about 10 minutes away.

Enjoyed everything about the resort except the distance to most all of the attractions on the island. Had a rental car. Visited Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center and some dinner shows at Wakiki Beach area. :cool1:

Bama Penguin, this is the type of room we have for December... could you tell me if there are laundry facilities for this type of room? Either in the unit, or near the units? TIA!

A friend of mine lives in Hawaii and his wife used to be a hula dancer there at Ko Olina and they live close by. He said they have one of the best (if not best) Luaus in Hawaii. He said it's really beautiful and away from all the usual touristy things, but that they are only a 30-45 minute drive away. We're contemplating on going in the future as well so let us know if you go and all the details!

chris1gill said:
Bama Penguin, this is the type of room we have for December... could you tell me if there are laundry facilities for this type of room? Either in the unit, or near the units? TIA!
This sounds like a studio. The 1, 2 & 3 BR units should have a W/D. The studio will not and will have a mini kitchen where the regular units have a full kitchen.

No washer & dryer in the unit. I don't remember if there were any nearby or not, since we didn't do any laundry while in Hawaii.

Ko Olina is one of the highest rated resorts on Oahu. I have heard that Marriott is spending close to one billion to build the resort. We own, and are going for the first time next year.

Getting into any of the Marriotts in Haw will be tough. Marriott's preferential set up with II blocks out nearly all of the inventory for marriott owners.

rlsmedina said:
Bama Penguin... how long were you on the waiting list for and how far in advance did you register on the waiting list?
I just registered right now on the DVC so called search waitlist for the Marriott Ko-Olina Resort and the Maui Marriott for the Aug. 2006 timeframe. I hope I got in early enough to get that time slot. Back up plan would be WDW resort if I don't get it. Hard part is trying to coordinate airfare slots with the uncertinty of nailing a place to stay.

Best I recall about five (5) months from initial request. Was looking for July-August 1 BR exclusively at Ko-Olina since our trip was focused on visiting Oahu and Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbour, etc. Later expanded search to include June and October and a smaller studio. Was offered an exchange in March for a September visit. Took first exchange offered for fear that a larger accommodation might not materialize. :cool1:

Ko'Olina is really pretty I was there with my wife on our honeymoon about 3 years ago. It's on the southwest part of the island and has (I believe) 3 lagoons right near the resort that are absolute perfection. The property when I was there was a golf course and at that time they were starting to build it out. We've been looking at Kapolei recently (the nearby town) and it is mushrooming. So all the amenities of a planned community are right there. That place is very nice. If it wasn't for the fact that we are east coasters and the price we definitely would have considered buying at the Marriot. My wife longs to move there permanently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter