Kona cafe walk ups?

disneypolybride2008

DIS Veteran
Hi, anyone know how Kona is for lunch without an adr? We are staying at the Poly in October and not sure if i should/need to have an adr for lunch. How about dinner? thanks!

Honestly it depends on the day. I have been turned away several times for walk up dinner. Not sure how many are in your party, but if they aren't taking walk ups, the little sushi/drink bar next door serves their full menu first come first serve.

Hi, anyone know how Kona is for lunch without an adr? We are staying at the Poly in October and not sure if i should/need to have an adr for lunch. How about dinner? thanks!
We left Epcot earlier than planned one evening, tried to get a late dinner at Kona- no availability, so we ordered room service- which I think is the same food.

We also did a room service breakfast one day-tonga toast, I'm almost positive that all rs meals are from the Kona kitchen.

So worst case you can have that as a backup plan :)

Honestly it depends on the day. I have been turned away several times for walk up dinner. Not sure how many are in your party, but if they aren't taking walk ups, the little sushi/drink bar next door serves their full menu first come first serve.

wow that is GREAT to know! so is it like Kona Cafe to go? Do they have their dinner bread (the best part)..

We left Epcot earlier than planned one evening, tried to get a late dinner at Kona- no availability, so we ordered room service- which I think is the same food.

We also did a room service breakfast one day-tonga toast, I'm almost positive that all rs meals are from the Kona kitchen.

So worst case you can have that as a backup plan :)

are the room service prices the same as if you were at Kona? Selections? thanks! Is room service like a mandadtory 20% tip? (i've never ordered room service)

...wow i'm SUPER excited about room service! now the kids can play at the adults can eat! No whining! wow, thanks so much for mentioning this possibility. The prices don't look much different either.. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Has anyone done the Ohana feast room service? Do they give you enough to eat? Ice cream on the pudding?

Last edited:
are the room service prices the same as if you were at Kona? Selections? thanks! Is room service like a mandadtory 20% tip? (i've never ordered room service)
I don't remember exact prices (I don't do Disney spreadsheet/journals/photo log my receipts or money spent, I just try to sign and forget ;)), but I also don't remember experiencing any kind of sticker shock. I think there was a small delivery fee and gratuity may have been added at 18%.
We ordered crab cakes and sushi for dinner, and macadamia pineapple pancakes and tonga toast for breakfast. Everything was really good.

I'll also add that I plan on doing room service twice again on our November trip. Once for a late night 'snack' while watching EWP & Wishes, and I also plan on ordering breakfast again. It was wonderful to have breakfast laid back in room away from the crowds before heading to the park (we did this mid trip), and having dinner on the balcony was really great as well! I do wish Poly had an actual table, we just ate outside- stayed in Tuvalu and the view was perfect!

A couple of years ago I had a lunch ADR at Kona for 1pm. It was my arrival day and I wasn't sure what time I would arrive so I made the ADR for pretty late (for me). On my way to the MK, I decided I was really hungry and I headed over to Kona to see if they could get me in (about an hour) early. You can see the entire restaurant when you walk up, so I could see that the restaurant only had about 10 patrons. I politely explained to the hostess that my ADR was for 1 and nicely asked if it would be possible to get a table now. She quite rudely told me that she would have to check. I looked at her, and looked behind her at all the empty tables, and said "Ok". There were no other guests asking for tables, but I walked a few feet away from the hostess station in case other guests arrived. After a few minutes she told me they would be able to get me a table now. I think every table had their own server, and I think they were all having a party in the back because I barely saw any of them. But the food was amazing!

The following year we did a resort hopping day. While touring one resort, we decided we wanted Kona for lunch. I got online and checked for an ADR and much to my surprise there were plenty for an hour from when I looked. I suggest if you decide you want to go to Kona and have a little time, check the app or website for an ADR. Better safe than sorry!

We stayed at the poly the week leading up to Christmas, and even though it's one of the busiest times of the year, I noticed that Kona was never more than half full, so I can't imagine you'll have any difficulty walking up

A couple of years ago I had a lunch ADR at Kona for 1pm. It was my arrival day and I wasn't sure what time I would arrive so I made the ADR for pretty late (for me). On my way to the MK, I decided I was really hungry and I headed over to Kona to see if they could get me in (about an hour) early. You can see the entire restaurant when you walk up, so I could see that the restaurant only had about 10 patrons. I politely explained to the hostess that my ADR was for 1 and nicely asked if it would be possible to get a table now. She quite rudely told me that she would have to check. I looked at her, and looked behind her at all the empty tables, and said "Ok". There were no other guests asking for tables, but I walked a few feet away from the hostess station in case other guests arrived. After a few minutes she told me they would be able to get me a table now. I think every table had their own server, and I think they were all having a party in the back because I barely saw any of them. But the food was amazing!

The following year we did a resort hopping day. While touring one resort, we decided we wanted Kona for lunch. I got online and checked for an ADR and much to my surprise there were plenty for an hour from when I looked. I suggest if you decide you want to go to Kona and have a little time, check the app or website for an ADR. Better safe than sorry!

It is frustrating to see empty tables... we just got back from the Yacht club and on our check out day, we had wanted to eat at Captains Grille buffet for breakfast before needing to get on the Magical Express. DH was worried we wouldn't have time, but i knew we had plenty. We asked at the podium and they said they are having about a 15 minute wait.. and i looked in and saw nearly all the tables were empty. I told them we have to get the Magical Express at 10:55 (soon) and he didn't seem to care, just said 15 minute wait. Another couple came up and he said the same to him, and it made them think if they had the time... just seat them already! the place is empty! Luckily we just stayed standing by the podium and only actually waited like 5 minutes tops. We ate at the buffet and were in and out. I had them run the bill at the start.

I don't remember exact prices (I don't do Disney spreadsheet/journals/photo log my receipts or money spent, I just try to sign and forget ;)), but I also don't remember experiencing any kind of sticker shock. I think there was a small delivery fee and gratuity may have been added at 18%.
We ordered crab cakes and sushi for dinner, and macadamia pineapple pancakes and tonga toast for breakfast. Everything was really good.

I'll also add that I plan on doing room service twice again on our November trip. Once for a late night 'snack' while watching EWP & Wishes, and I also plan on ordering breakfast again. It was wonderful to have breakfast laid back in room away from the crowds before heading to the park (we did this mid trip), and having dinner on the balcony was really great as well! I do wish Poly had an actual table, we just ate outside- stayed in Tuvalu and the view was perfect!

i am going to plan on room service for a lot. The one thing i didnt' care for at the Poly is the crowds, so eating in our room would be great. I can't believe it was off my radar. I just watched Pretty Woman, and was thinking i should try room service sometime.. and now i will.. wish i thought of that on our last trip at the GF and Yacht instead of going out and about for every meal.

Keep in mind that they may be half empty... but they may have staffed based on the ADRs in place, rather than to have capacity for walk-ups.

can you order off Kona's menu or will they strictly adhere to the room service menu? I want a loaf of Kona's bread and butter. -free with the meal would be nice-

Lunch is likely no issue whatsoever without an ADR.

Dinner, on the other hand, especially on a weekend, is likely going to be a problem without an ADR. Too many people show up at 'Ohana thinking they'll do a walk-up, find out there is no way they're getting in there, and then make a bee line to Kona visible from the 'Ohana podium.

This same exact thing happened to me, probably the same hostess. The restaurant had 1 couple eating at 11am, we asked for a table and was told there was a 25 minute wait even though we saw 3 waiters standing around talking. We said ok we will wait and walk to a shop so they gave us a buzzer. Literally 2 minutes later it buzzed so not sure what the issue was. Felt like they were trying to persuade us not to eat there. Food and service was good though, just not that initial experience.

We had an adr for Kona at lunch last time. It was noonish. We walked up and there was no one sitting in the entire restaurant. We were seated right away, and it gradually had more patrons. So, we probably could have gotten by that time without an adr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter