• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kohl's Return issues - beware!

Q: Why be angry with Kohl's?

A: Because their computer system MISTAKENLY said I used the Kohl's cash, thereby decreasing the amount of my refund by almost $200.

I don't have a problem with it taking up to 14 days to put the refund on my credit card, mainly because at the end of that 14 days, my billing cycle still hasn't concluded...although if they can charge it in 1 day, they should be able to refund it in one day, but that's another issue...

UPDATE: I didn't see the refund (or anything showing as pending refund) for the items I returned on 11/17. So, on 11/18, I sent them a message (in the contact us page on Kohls.com) to inquire. I don't know if there's a response yet on my email since I didn't check this morning. I did check on the Kohls charge website and the refunds for the returns show up! And so does the credit to my account (the amount they mistakenly said I used of Kohl's cash!) HOORAY!

The next time I buy anything, I will make sure that it's not during the time that Kohl's cash is given out...although that seems to be when they have the extra % off codes....ugh

I thought it was the new Kohls policy to deduct your Kohls cash from your return whether you used them OR NOT??

Maggie

From the website:

Kohl's Cash and Returns

Are you returning merchandise from a purchase that earned Kohl's Cash?

When you return merchandise from a purchase that earned Kohl’s Cash, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and it will decrease the value of your Kohl's Cash.

Did you already spend your Kohl’s Cash?

If you have already used your Kohl’s Cash, you will get a refund in the form of your original payment, and the amount of the Kohl’s Cash will be deducted from your return amount.

Are you returning merchandise that was purchased with Kohl's Cash?

Return value of merchandise purchased with Kohl’s Cash may also be subject to adjustment.

So, you could lose the Cash, but it shouldn't be deducted from the return unless you have used it.

I am a Kohls newbie and have a question for the experts regarding exchanges with KC...

A few weeks ago I made a large purchase at Kohls *inadvertently during a Kohls Cash promo * so I ended up with $40 KC.

When I tried to exchange one of the items, an unused $34 men's tie I paid $21 for, the cashier told me I could only exchange it for something of the same $34 value. Meaning I had to go look for something that cost exactly $34. Equal exchange. Nothing less or more...otherwise I would lose part of my KC.

I couldn't understand why the $21 I paid couldn't be placed on a GC...then they could reprice their tie for $34?

Does this sound right? I have never heard of such an exchange...

I thought it was the new Kohls policy to deduct your Kohls cash from your return whether you used them OR NOT??

Maggie

There is no way that I can think of that would ever make it legal. If Kohl's instituted that kind of policy (deducting the value of unused Kohl's cash from your returned items, giving you less money than you actually paid for the item), I am sure there would be attorneys lining up to take that case. :)

I bought a few items back in the summer with a 15% off code. When I went to return some of them, their system figured a 20% discount so my refund was less. I didn't catch it until I got home and called CS. They verified the problem and she said she'd issue a refund. Next statement comes, no refund. I call again and the rep sees where the first rep was going to do the refund, but never did. She says she'll process it. Next statement comes, no refund. I gave up. It was a small amount and I was done with it, but I'll never again return without knowing to the penny what I should get back before I walk in the door.

This all started around this time last year. I haven't shopped at Kohls since. I used to be a huge Kohls fan but their shady return policy is unacceptable in my opinion.

I go to Kohls as a last ditch effort. The merchandise is crap. YOu can't tell me it is the same thing as in the other stores, I think they are knock offs or have imperfections. nothing there fits right.

When you wear the same bra for years and you go to Kohl's and try them on and none of them fit, and then you go back to your place where you normally purchase them and they do fit, that tells me that there is a problem.

As far as getting your refund back on your credit card when you paid with a credit card, this is how is is supposed to be. I see giving back cash when you have paid with a credit card as a HUGE accounting FUBAR.

Maggie

There is no way that I can think of that would ever make it legal. If Kohl's instituted that kind of policy (deducting the value of unused Kohl's cash from your returned items, giving you less money than you actually paid for the item), I am sure there would be attorneys lining up to take that case. :)

I'm not sure. I tried to return something that had earned Kohls cash. The return was AFTER the time the Kohls cash could be used - so they were expired. I NEVER used the Kohls cash and had the little slip of paper showing I didn't use it. But they still were going to deduct the Kohls cash from my return.

So I wonder if you return after the expiration date of the Kohls cash if that makes a difference?

I ended up exchanging for something else that was the same original value of the returned item, so I don't know for sure if they would have actually deducted the Kohls cash from my total.

Maggie

Has anybody brought the actual Kohl's Cash voucher (the piece of paper that looks like Monopoly money) and still had problems with refunds?

I am curious if anyone else can relate their experiences with returns and unused Kohls Cash - is the issue with subtracting the unused Kohls Cash from the return amount a glitch that a few people are experiencing or a policy change?

Has anybody brought the actual Kohl's Cash voucher (the piece of paper that looks like Monopoly money) and still had problems with refunds?
It's been a couple of months but the last return I did there I gave them the Kohl's Cash back and they have me a full refund. I didn't use their card though, I had paid cash.

I worked at Customer Service at KOHLs through college & they take anything back. People would wear shoes for 1 year & bring them back & get a fre refund. craziness!
One time I returned shoes that I had worn. It was a pair of clogs with the plastic soles which blew out less than a month after I bought them. I guess they weren't designed to be worn to walk around Disney World, because that is where they blew out. Kohls, to their credit, gave me a refund. So, I won't buy that brand of shoes again (one of the Kohls brands).

I am curious if anyone else can relate their experiences with returns and unused Kohls Cash - is the issue with subtracting the unused Kohls Cash from the return amount a glitch that a few people are experiencing or a policy change?
For as long as I can remember, Kohls has not refunded the entire amount of a purchase to your credit card if Kohls cash was given. I have had times when I tried to return the Kohls cash so I would get the full amount of the refund (it was a time when it had expired before I used it). Several years ago, the policy used to be that if you took a store credit instead of having it refunded to your credit card, they would refund the full amount. At least, that is how they did it around here. In an analogous manner to fast passes, our store used to let you use expired Kohls cash to make a purchase, but, that stopped, too, probably about 5 years ago, now.

For as long as I can remember, Kohls has not refunded the entire amount of a purchase to your credit card if Kohls cash was given. I have had times when I tried to return the Kohls cash so I would get the full amount of the refund (it was a time when it had expired before I used it). Several years ago, the policy used to be that if you took a store credit instead of having it refunded to your credit card, they would refund the full amount. At least, that is how they did it around here. In an analogous manner to fast passes, our store used to let you use expired Kohls cash to make a purchase, but, that stopped, too, probably about 5 years ago, now.

That's when you've purchased something with kohls cash. My issue was when I returned something that I paid full price for. That has never happened before, nor should it happen, otherwise they wouldn't offer a refund. I never use kohls cash. It's a total rip off. It was easy for kohls to verify that I did not use it.

Just had to share my experience from last night. Purchased $85 goods online and rec'd $10 Kohls cash. I returned a $14 item, got the correcte refund BUT it automatically negated my Kohl's cahs and brought it to $0. I was SO glad I thought to ask her to make sure the Kohls cash was not affected. Of course the woman at the desk was not happy and neither was my tween because I refused to walk away until she had it straightened out. She claimed I must have returned something else already, bought Kohls cares items, every excuse she could think of. I just kept insisting that it was not right. She said she would have to look up every item on my order to confirm it was not returned, I said OK!

After @10 minutes(of her still trying to blame me for various and assorted reasons), she called the manager. the manager looked over everything and completely agreed it was not correct. she told the girl to give me a brand new Kohls cash from her register, which she did and I was able to us it on a purchase a few minutes later.

Bottom line, just don't take what the workers saw as gospel if you have logic and reasoning on your side! My DD11 was mortified but I told her it was the principal.

Good luck everyone!

That's when you've purchased something with kohls cash. My issue was when I returned something that I paid full price for. That has never happened before, nor should it happen, otherwise they wouldn't offer a refund. I never use kohls cash. It's a total rip off. It was easy for kohls to verify that I did not use it.

How is Kohl's Cash a ripoff? You are basically throwing money away. You could at least buy some dish towels or socks or something with it. Or you could buy something and donate it to charity.

How is Kohl's Cash a ripoff? You are basically throwing money away. You could at least buy some dish towels or socks or something with it. Or you could buy something and donate it to charity.

It's a rip off. My opinion. Esp when they deduct from a return when you've not used it. I never use them. Period. Now when I return to kohls, I have the exact amounts written on receipts to not have the issue slip by me again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter