Kohls Cash Help!

Its something with the tax on purchase you made with the kohl's cash. Its just the way it is. You could try to get the tax back from the state. I do agree with The WDW 3 that it looks like you were trying to do something fishy here...just my two cents.

How is this fishy? I have returned entire orders many times. Sometimes clothing looks great online but once you get it home it's thin, crappy fabric or just doesn't fit right. One time, I was returning mulitple sizes of similar items for both of my kids, the lady at customer service joked that sometimes it's easier to bring the store to kids than to bring kids into the store.

Last edited:
I have learned the hard way that it's sooo much easier to wait until you know what you're keeping, and what you're returning on the original order before spending any Kohl's cash. Luckily, they have upped their game with shipping and items arrive much faster. It used to take 2+ weeks for orders to arrive and the Kohls cash earned would expire, or be very close to expiring, by the time the first order arrived.

I would be questioning the system too. If you buy something and pay $x you should get $x returned to your credit card, assuming one is following the store's return policy, (within return window, has receipt, etc.)

When dealing with “store” cash, the rule of thumb is not to spend it until you are sure that you are keeping what you earned it on. It’s always a headache if you return what you earned it on unless you didn’t spend the “store “ cash. I use “store,” because kohl’s isn’t the only one who issues cash to be used on a future purchase. I’m not familiar on how sales tax effects this, I live in a state that doesn’t charge it.
I know this is an older reply but it's how I do things too. JCP rewards? I wait to use it with something I know I'll be keeping. Same with Khol's Cash, etc.

I do know with JCP on their receipts it tells you what your return value is-no surprises there.

Really need help figuring out my Kohls cash. I know many on this board love kohls so hoping someone can help me.

I placed an order totaling $172.10 and earned $45 kohls cash on this order.
I placed a second order using the $45 kohls cash and spent $8.29 on top of this.

Today I brought back everything from both orders and received a refund of $131.40 and $45 in kohls cash. Is this correct? Do I not need to be refunded the entirety of what my credit card was charged since I brought back everything?I was in the store for 30+ minutes speaking to a manager and was told there is nothing that could be done.

I've just realized typing this out now the refunds of $131.40 on my credit card and $45 kohls cash does not even equal the original amount I was charged on my credit card for the 2 orders. How could it be legal to issue a refund of $45 as a store credit that expires in a month? I would at least need to be given a merchandise credit that has no expiration, no? As far as I'm concerned I've been charged for this return!
Carefully look at your original orders.

According to Khols they do not refund any shipping charges or any surcharges (both normal for other stores too). Did your $172.10 and/or $8.29 include any shipping charges?

Your Khol's Cash came with an expiration date to begin with, I see no issues with having an expiration date on returning that to you. Online their policy regarding Khol's Cash is

Did you already spend your Kohl’s Cash?
No problem! If you’ve already used your Kohl’s Cash, you’ll get a refund in the form of your original payment, minus the amount of the Kohl’s Cash Coupon you spent.

Are you returning merchandise that was purchased with Kohl’s Cash?
Again, no problem. We’ll return the value of the Kohl’s Cash Coupon to you as Return Kohl’s Cash, valid for 30 days from the date of your return.

You qualify for both of those scenarios listed since you're returning the order that earned you the khol's Cash and the order where you used the Khol's Cash you earned.

Without knowing all the details of the order (like the receipt of it) it could be a combination of things that led to you getting what you got back (talking about the $131.40).

I love KC. I have the rewards program and the credit card. I just got $10 from rewards and used it and got another $10 in KC. Its a viscous cycle lol. I love all the clothes for my granddaughters. They have the cutest Disney shirts and the 5 yr old loves the JoJo clothes'. They are the reason I have the extra KC all the time and a maxed out credit card with them.

Kohl's is always so weird with what they do. It's never easy. I have learned to ONLY use my Kohl's cash on items that I am going to keep and have no intensions on returning. ie, socks, jewelry

I will only buy something at Kohls if it is what I need, when I need it, at a price I am comfortable spending. I will not make any purchase just to get Kohls cash. And if I do get kohls cash, I simply have no desire to spend it.

Their whole mission is to get you back in the store. Their marketing wizards are genius. I never enjoyed how the Kohl's Cash is really a coupon where the amt of discount shows up on every item. If you return pants, you'll lose 3.00 of it. It won't move over to the other items. Always use K.C. on the item you are definitely not returning, not on "maybes".

Thread was started 2 yrs ago (and the OP is long gone). I think stores have gotten wise to those who try to buy things on sale then return them at regular price to walk off with a 'profit'. Kohl's has their rules regarding returns on items purchased with Kohl's cash I would imagine for the same reason.

Last edited:
Right. Even if I manage to spend my $45 kohls cash and not a cent over I'm still out $3.99.....But I'm up to something fishy? At minimum Kohls has made $3.99 off me, yet I'm trying to rip them off
If you ordered the items online, sometimes you have to spend the kohls cash before all the items come from the original order because of the redeeming dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter