Kohls Cash Help!

disney555

Earning My Ears
Really need help figuring out my Kohls cash. I know many on this board love kohls so hoping someone can help me.

I placed an order totaling $172.10 and earned $45 kohls cash on this order.
I placed a second order using the $45 kohls cash and spent $8.29 on top of this.

Today I brought back everything from both orders and received a refund of $131.40 and $45 in kohls cash. Is this correct? Do I not need to be refunded the entirety of what my credit card was charged since I brought back everything?I was in the store for 30+ minutes speaking to a manager and was told there is nothing that could be done.

I've just realized typing this out now the refunds of $131.40 on my credit card and $45 kohls cash does not even equal the original amount I was charged on my credit card for the 2 orders. How could it be legal to issue a refund of $45 as a store credit that expires in a month? I would at least need to be given a merchandise credit that has no expiration, no? As far as I'm concerned I've been charged for this return!

So one thing I’ve learned when using kohl’s cash is that you’re not refunded the tax, I have no idea why not but when the kohl’s cash is used in amother transaction, you’re refunded the original amount minus some taxes minus the kohl’s cash. Yup, sucks

So one thing I’ve learned when using kohl’s cash is that you’re not refunded the tax, I have no idea why not but when the kohl’s cash is used in amother transaction, you’re refunded the original amount minus some taxes minus the kohl’s cash. Yup, sucks
How can this be legal for them to do? Even with the issue of getting kohls cash instead of a refund my total paid was $180.39 and my refund is only $176.40 ($131.40 refunded + $45 kohls cash)

How can this be legal for them to do? Even with the issue of getting kohls cash instead of a refund my total paid was $180.39 and my refund is only $176.40 ($131.40 refunded + $45 kohls cash)

no idea, I kept getting the “computer system shows me the refund” crap. So I make sure I’m keeping the item before spending the cash

Its something with the tax on purchase you made with the kohl's cash. Its just the way it is. You could try to get the tax back from the state. I do agree with The WDW 3 that it looks like you were trying to do something fishy here...just my two cents.

When dealing with “store” cash, the rule of thumb is not to spend it until you are sure that you are keeping what you earned it on. It’s always a headache if you return what you earned it on unless you didn’t spend the “store “ cash. I use “store,” because kohl’s isn’t the only one who issues cash to be used on a future purchase. I’m not familiar on how sales tax effects this, I live in a state that doesn’t charge it.

Its something with the tax on purchase you made with the kohl's cash. Its just the way it is. You could try to get the tax back from the state. I do agree with The WDW 3 that it looks like you were trying to do something fishy here...just my two cents.
Kohl’s has brainwashed people so bad that they’re giving out refunds of $50 less than paid but the one being refunded less is the one up to something fishy not kohls

Kohl’s has brainwashed people so bad that they’re giving out refunds of $50 less than paid but the one being refunded less is the one up to something fishy not kohls
Right. Even if I manage to spend my $45 kohls cash and not a cent over I'm still out $3.99.....But I'm up to something fishy? At minimum Kohls has made $3.99 off me, yet I'm trying to rip them off

I do know from a Kohl’s employee that there is an issue with people thinking they can place a large order, return everything then keep the Kohl’s cash. So that’s why they have to issue store credit instead of cash due to fraud. This policy can sometimes negatively affect honest customers just seeking to return one item and as a result losing their Kohl’s cash. But that’s what happens everywhere when some try to work the system.

I don't think you are trying to do anything fishy - I think you just changed your mind on your orders.

Kohl's Cash is awful to deal with. If you spend it, then return stuff from your original order, you will not see that money back - even if you return the stuff you bought with KC, as you've now seen. Stuff you bought with KC is going to result in KC coming back to you; stuff you paid for and earned KC on, you will get back what you paid MINUS the KC amount you spent.

For this reason, I never spend KC until I get the original order in and decide I am going to keep everything, or I think there is no risk of me needing to return something in the order. If you haven't spent the KC, they refund you the amount you paid on the order and your KC just becomes invalid.

Also part of what might be going on in your case is the rewards program - that KC seems to come out of any refund on items, even if you haven't spent it yet (or ever) - I haven't confirmed that (been too lazy) but I've had enough experiences to believe this could be the case. But figuring out that math is an even more complex mess of having to figure out what orders counted toward the rewards you received one month. In some scenarios, it could be responsible for the $3.99. Hard to tell without knowing your exact, detailed shopping history though.

It sucks - I wish they would find a clearer way to incentivize and reward their customers. I feel for you. It's an expensive lesson to learn unfortunately.

I don't think you are trying to do anything fishy - I think you just changed your mind on your orders.

Kohl's Cash is awful to deal with. If you spend it, then return stuff from your original order, you will not see that money back - even if you return the stuff you bought with KC, as you've now seen. Stuff you bought with KC is going to result in KC coming back to you; stuff you paid for and earned KC on, you will get back what you paid MINUS the KC amount you spent.

For this reason, I never spend KC until I get the original order in and decide I am going to keep everything, or I think there is no risk of me needing to return something in the order. If you haven't spent the KC, they refund you the amount you paid on the order and your KC just becomes invalid.

Also part of what might be going on in your case is the rewards program - that KC seems to come out of any refund on items, even if you haven't spent it yet (or ever) - I haven't confirmed that (been too lazy) but I've had enough experiences to believe this could be the case. But figuring out that math is an even more complex mess of having to figure out what orders counted toward the rewards you received one month. In some scenarios, it could be responsible for the $3.99. Hard to tell without knowing your exact, detailed shopping history though.

It sucks - I wish they would find a clearer way to incentivize and reward their customers. I feel for you. It's an expensive lesson to learn unfortunately.
They don't treat Kohls cash as cash, until you use the Kohls cash and then they completely treat it like cash.

The rewards program may be an issue, after this experience I question everything from this brand, but it is not coming into play here for me. These two orders are the entirety of my transaction history with Kohls and I am not signed up for any rewards program.

Did the $8.29 on the second order include shipping?

If you return something purchased with Kohl’s cash, you’ll be given the amount back in Kohl’s cash.

If you return something that earned you Kohl’s cash but you did not spend the Kohl’s cash, you’ll be refunded the full amount. (Ex. Paid $50, earned $10 Kohl’s cash. Did not use $10 Kohl’s cash. Returned item. Refund is $50.)

If you return something that earned you Kohl’s cash and you did use the Kohl’s cash, you will be refunded what you paid minus the Kohl’s cash. (Ex. Paid $50, earned $10 Kohl’s cash. Used $10 Kohl’s cash. Returned first item. Refund is $40.) I was given merchandise credit back in addition to my regular refund a handful of years ago… This was due to the shipped item being defective and no exchangewere possible.

Taxes can get weird. I know with Kohl’s cash usage I haven’t been charged tax. Just over the weekend I had $100 in Kohl’s cash. Used it on a camera that was $99.99. Walked away with a penny in Kohl’s cash left. Didn’t pay anything in taxes.

I never use Kohl’s cash unless I am absolutely certain I will not return the item.

This Kohl's cash thread is very interesting. I remember making a small purchase awhile ago that involved Kohl's cash and a subsequent return and I remember being very confused about how they were refunding it. This is a reminder about the difficulties.

I have a similar question. My DD purchased some stuff at Kohls and got $30 in KC. It expired, she never used it and it now planning to return most of the merchandise to the store (not because of the KC, it's stuff she decided she doesn't need). Will her refund be less than the amount spent even though the KC was never used but expired?

I have a similar question. My DD purchased some stuff at Kohls and got $30 in KC. It expired, she never used it and it now planning to return most of the merchandise to the store (not because of the KC, it's stuff she decided she doesn't need). Will her refund be less than the amount spent even though the KC was never used but expired?
If she didn’t use the Kohl’s cash and it expired, she should get the full refund. I’ve done this before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter