knee surgery - accommodations many questions-

disnymjkmom

Earning My Ears
A member of my family had a recent unexpected knee surgery. His MD gave him the okay for DL but suggested that he use a w/c. I was told by a CM about where to pick up the w/c and abut a different line to wait in.

Does the whole family (9) enter this line or does the person in the w/c wait for the other family members to get to the front of their line?

If we all wait in the w/c line together does the whole party of 9 enter @ same time?

He is ambulatory for short periods of time. If we park the "rascal" outside a ride or to sit and eat will it be safe?

Should we bring a note from his MD. If so, what does the note need to cover. Many questions. Any anwsers are appreciated. :earboy2:

DisneyLAND works a bit different than WDW.
WDW is more accessible because it is newer and most of the lines at WDW are wheelchair accessible, with no special wheelchair lines.

Because DisneyLAND was built later, there are more places that have to have wheelchair entrances because the regular line is not accessible.

California Adventure Was built with accessibility and has mostly "Mainstream Lines", where people with wheelchairs wait in the same line with eveyone else.

I'll try to answer your questions quickly with what I know and hopefully people who have been to DisneyLAND will add to it and correct what I might have wrong:
Here's a link to download a copy of the Disneyland Guest Guide for People with Mobility Disabilities. That should help quite a bit; it does list information about which attractions are wheelchair accessible and how to access them (like do you go to the exit or where is the access gate).
I was told by a CM about where to pick up the w/c and abut a different line to wait in.
Does the whole family (9) enter this line or does the person in the w/c wait for the other family members to get to the front of their line?
If we all wait in the w/c line together does the whole party of 9 enter @ same time?
There is no guarantee that a wheelchair will be available when you get there, plus they can't be moved from the park where you rented. Cheshire Figment had some good specific information about DisneyLAND on this thread, including where he rented an ECV from off-site.

At WDW, a party of up to 6 (5 plus the person with a disability) can use the wheelchair entrance (if there is one). I think DL is similar. Mostly, it's a space issue, that there is not a lot of space for large parties.
He is ambulatory for short periods of time. If we park the "rascal" outside a ride or to sit and eat will it be safe?
"Rascal" as in the brand of ECV/scooter called a "Rascal"?
ECVs have a key and if you leave it somewhere, just take the key with you. That way, it can be put into a freewheeling mode and pushed if necessary, but no one can use it.
If he wants to walk in the lines, before leaving the ECV, he should make sure how long the wait will be (so he's not ending up in a longer line than he planned).
Should we bring a note from his MD. If so, what does the note need to cover.
You don't need a doctor's note to rent a wheelchair/ECV or to get any other type of accomidation. If all he needs is acessibility, he should not need anything besides the wheelchair/ecv. In fact, they won't want to see one if you do bring one. What he needs to be able to do it explain his needs to the CMs at Guest Services.

Wow! thanks so much for all that info. I like to be very organized before we get to the park. This helps a bunch. Thanks again :sunny:

DL/DCA - Strollers & Wheelchairs can be taken from each park to the other - since basically you are walking through a large plaza. Unlike WDW - you do leave a $ 20.00 deposit (which they refund to you when you return the WC).

DCA - almost every attraction I rode (skipped Playhouse Disney, California Screamin', Orange Stinger and one other attraction near there) had mainstream wheelchair/ECV access. You go through the entire regular line with all the other Guests, or if you have a FastPass you go through the entire FastPass line with all the other Guests. At Tower of Terror, depending on the line, sometimes you're directed through the FastPass line even without a FastPass because the regular line has some tight turns and the ECV may get stuck.

DL - Most attractions, Guests in ECVs use the exit (FantasyLand, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise) or the FastPass line with or without a FastPass (Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion) or the regular lines (all shows, Mark Twain riverboat, Buzz Lightyear, Matterhorn) or a combination (Autopia). Note that this list is not complete, and that depending on the Guest's abilities, some attractions may be entirely inaccessible - in my case, Astro Orbiters, Dumbo and Roger Rabbit, due to high step required to enter ride vehicle.

Also, as noted, expect only six of you to be able to use any alternate entrance. The rest of your party would have to wait in the regular line, and when all of you reach the boarding area you'll all be allowed on the ride.

i know you are thinking of a ECV

but I would go with a manual wheelchair.

after my knee surgery I got a m wc for WDW. It was great. the first day I stayed in the chair. the next day I pushed it for part of the time. It really helps to push it. It helps you to walk straighter. It is a great surport.

So I would go with a manual and let him push it.

spiceycat said:
i know you are thinking of a ECV

but I would go with a manual wheelchair.
Besides the other things you mentioned, DisneyLand is more compact (think crowded and tighter), so it may be easier to push a wheelchair than to drive an ecv. Especially for someone not familiar and totally comfortable with an ecv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter