Knee injury, leave in 4 weeks for Disney

If you are nervous about driving an ecv, meet with the representative from the company when he or she drops it off. They will go over the basics with you and you can ask questions and practice a bit. It may be 15 minutes that are well worth your time
This is an excellent suggestion. Most likely the non-featured (not 'approved', there are no 'approved' vendors just some that pay a fee to use Bell Services) would be best since they have to meet with the customer directly anyway. Walker Mobility is awesome, as is Randy 's Mobility. The latter has always met the customer face to face.

Also, request a crutch holder.

Have you considered a rollator/walker in place of crutches? I was non weight bearing on 1 leg for ~8 weeks and used one (had a mastectomy so crutches weren't an option) and it was quite easy to use. Didn't take nearly as much energy as crutches imho. I felt very very safe using it, never concerned about planting a crutch down wrong and falling or someone running into a crutch and knocking it/me over. I got quite good at maneuvering it in tight places and was able to stick it in the car and drive as well (fortunately it was my left leg). That said, it is not easy to carry it while in a wheelchair or on an ECV.

Best of luck to you and hope your recovery goes well

Thank you, I hadn't considered this as I was given crutches by the physio as I do now need to weight bear somewhat but not with all my weight. So I need to walk with the crutches to get my knee used to taking some pressure. I am getting there with them and have seen most scooter companies have crutch holders for ECVs so that will be useful.

I'm the same way! I love getting up and going to get coffee. In the evenings when we were at CSR I liked getting out and going around the lake and my son walked with me. It's also nice when your family wants to go ride or do something and you want to spend a bit longer in the shops. Sometimes I split off and rode something on my own. I also liked that in the parks I could find a nice shady spot to park the ECV out of the way and sit and relax, watch the people go by and such. You will probably be amazed at how much you CAN do.

If you rent from a preferred Disney provider they will drop and pick off the ECV with the Bell services. I discovered that the Bell services people will show you how to operate the ECV - they are used to that and usually ask if I want them to help me with it before I take off. It's not unusual to stress about trying to get it on and off the Disney busses - and folks will feel self-conscious or what not. You hadn't brought that up but I thought I'd add that it's really not that bad at all. The bus drivers are excellent at helping you out...truly. And it's always possible for another family member to drive it up on the bus for you if you prefer. I suggest practice driving the ECV around the resort and get used to how to back up (like you were parallel parking) because that's exactly how it works on the bus (but easier than with a car - lol!).

I think I will rent from a vendor who can leave with bell services, whatever that term might be (having seen approved, featured, and preferred used) mostly because I like the flexibility to have the scooter right until check out, then leaving it with Bell Services without needing to wait around. We have a return flight to catch so even a small delay for a non disney vendor in terms of being late would mess up our airport timings. So the only option would be to select a return slot way in advance of what we'd need but then I'd be tied to the resort for the morning.

It's good to know Disney Bell Services will go through it with me too, though having tested one out yesterday, the controls seem fairly simple.

Thank you so much for your reassurance with the buses - this is a concern for me, and everyone watching me is a big fear but I'm hoping I can do it. I think my husband might be better positioned to do it, but I am determined to try on my own :)

We used Best Price mobility, and the model was an Elite Traveler four-wheel scooter.

Thank you for looking it up for me :)

This is an excellent suggestion. Most likely the non-featured (not 'approved', there are no 'approved' vendors just some that pay a fee to use Bell Services) would be best since they have to meet with the customer directly anyway. Walker Mobility is awesome, as is Randy 's Mobility. The latter has always met the customer face to face.

Also, request a crutch holder.

Thank you for the suggestions, and yes, I think the crutch holder will be a must!

Last edited:
Ok, H
I have held off posting this as I really thought wouldn't need to. However, I have am currently recovering with a ruptured patella tendon. I had no idea when I did this how long the recovery process would be. I have been immobilised for weeks to allow it to heal and then recently allowed to weight bear as tolerated with a brace, finding that I can do no more than 20-30 yards without extreme pain. I am told this is to be expected by my consultant, and that I will require intensive physio, which I start two weeks prior to our Disney holiday

I have spoke to my consultant about our trip and his suggestion is a wheelchair plus crutches, so wheelchair for most activity, crutches for short activity. My husband is more than happy to push me around, however I do have a lot of concerns and questions.

We will not have a car, will taxis, and specifically Uber put a folded wheelchair in the boot?

Can I take crutches on the aircraft or is it better to hire them?

I was looking at renting a chair from Apple Care as they are disney approved and we are staying on site? Do they charge your card now or later? It says on the site a credit card is not needed to reserve this reservation, but that is confusing me as to when they will take payment?

I am worrying about everything from transport to restaurants, to airports, to disney buses, to shopping. It just all feels overwhelming

I rented a portable scooter from Buena Vista Scooters. The first one wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple hours. The second one kept randomly stopping. The third one was the next larger size...the Victory model. Had no trouble at all, it was less rattley on cobblestones and bumps, and it was still easy to steer. I am not close to the weight limit on the portable, so I think it was just bad luck. They were great about swapping it out.

Driving was easy, even on the buses. Most rides I could drive it through the line...only a few (pooh, pirates, etc...) required me to park the scooter and use a wheelchair that was right by the scooter parking area. The cast member at the entrance would see the ecv and explain what i needed to do.

People were all very nice, but they often don't pay attention and walk right in front you. You have to always anticipate needing to stop quickly.

My foot would swell a lot from being in the knee immobilizer all day. I brought an ice pack and would get ice from a drink stand and ice it while I sat on a bench with it flat. Seemed to help.

Of all the rides I tried, the only one I couldnt get in was seven dwarves as the bar has cut outs for your knees and you have to stay bent. On most others i would either ask to ride alone and put my leg out on the seat next to me, or would have my husband sit next to me and put my leg on his lap. Granted, I'm 5' 1", so my legs are very short, but I was surprised I could ride so much. I didnt try space mountain, tower of terror, rock and roller coaster or any intense rides though as I was afraid the motion would hurt my knee.

Ok, long post, I'll stop now:). Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!!

Ok, H

I rented a portable scooter from Buena Vista Scooters. The first one wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple hours. The second one kept randomly stopping. The third one was the next larger size...the Victory model. Had no trouble at all, it was less rattley on cobblestones and bumps, and it was still easy to steer. I am not close to the weight limit on the portable, so I think it was just bad luck. They were great about swapping it out.

Driving was easy, even on the buses. Most rides I could drive it through the line...only a few (pooh, pirates, etc...) required me to park the scooter and use a wheelchair that was right by the scooter parking area. The cast member at the entrance would see the ecv and explain what i needed to do.

People were all very nice, but they often don't pay attention and walk right in front you. You have to always anticipate needing to stop quickly.

My foot would swell a lot from being in the knee immobilizer all day. I brought an ice pack and would get ice from a drink stand and ice it while I sat on a bench with it flat. Seemed to help.

Of all the rides I tried, the only one I couldnt get in was seven dwarves as the bar has cut outs for your knees and you have to stay bent. On most others i would either ask to ride alone and put my leg out on the seat next to me, or would have my husband sit next to me and put my leg on his lap. Granted, I'm 5' 1", so my legs are very short, but I was surprised I could ride so much. I didnt try space mountain, tower of terror, rock and roller coaster or any intense rides though as I was afraid the motion would hurt my knee.

Ok, long post, I'll stop now:). Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!!

Hey there!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response. You've covered so much I was concerned about, and managed to reassure me - I totally appreciate it.

I'm pleased you found the scooter easy to operate - it is such a worry and its get tip to ice when you stop - hadn't even considered how my knees or feet would respond to the heat or the amount of time sat.

Ride info is most welcome too as I thought I might have skip them altogether but its nice that you found most okay with your knee problems!

Not long now :)

Hey there!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response. You've covered so much I was concerned about, and managed to reassure me - I totally appreciate it.

I'm pleased you found the scooter easy to operate - it is such a worry and its get tip to ice when you stop - hadn't even considered how my knees or feet would respond to the heat or the amount of time sat.

Ride info is most welcome too as I thought I might have skip them altogether but its nice that you found most okay with your knee problems!

Not long now :)

Good luck! Couple other things....crutches were fine on the plane. They put them in the overhead bin and said if I needed them during the flight to ask. The credit card was charged a few days before we left for the scooter. We used Uber XL. If you do that, they send a large vehicle that should be able to handle a wheelchair. Just relax and enjoy....better to heal at Disney than home. I was SO glad I went!!

Good luck! Couple other things....crutches were fine on the plane. They put them in the overhead bin and said if I needed them during the flight to ask. The credit card was charged a few days before we left for the scooter. We used Uber XL. If you do that, they send a large vehicle that should be able to handle a wheelchair. Just relax and enjoy....better to heal at Disney than home. I was SO glad I went!!

Good point - recovery and rehab sucks but I'd much rather do it in the happiest place on earth :) Amazing tip about uberXL!! I totally didn't think of that and it would still be much cheaper than taxis, thank you.

16 days to go :)

Please consider that people in wheelchairs do this same thing, every day, without event. The parks (and the resorts and transportation) are set to accommodate people with disabilities. In fact, there are laws that dictate that most everything must be accessible- and Disney often goes beyond what is legally required.

Transportation from the Polynesian to Magic Kingdom can be via monorail (where they have CMs who put down a ramp onto the monorail train) or via ferry (where they have flat ramps onto and off of the ferry). You can get to Epcot using a different, but identical, monorail track. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom would require you to ride a bus- and I think several of them have lifts.

There is a guide for the rides in the different parks and how accessible they can be- somewhere on this forum. For most rides, you will enter through the FastPass lane (with your party) and get onto the ride where most people exit. On the occasions when you cannot stay in your ECV, it will only have to be 10 feet away or so- but, in those cases, you can transfer to a manual chair. You will have an opportunity, when you arrive at a ride, to ask the CM about how the ride is structured, so you can make a determination about what you can do. The CMs are almost always incredibly considerate and helpful in this regard. For the most part, there are only a handful of rides, in any of the parks, that are difficult to access- but, it all depends on your particular needs.

The dining areas can be tight because of crowds, but if your partner can "scout out" seating that will work for you, you can stay on your ECV to eat. Other than that, navigating around common areas are simple.

Also- dare I say it?- using an ECV is a whale of a lot more FUN than trying to hobble around on crutches or rely on someone for mobility. You should definitely take the time to whiz around your loved ones while you have a chance! :) I hope you have a great trip...

If you haven't already made a ressie to rent a scooter, I will offer my suggestion to use Walker Mobility. They have always been really great and helpful. They come to meet me to drop off and then pick up the ecv. I just call them when I land and then when I get on the Magical express when leaving the airport to go to our resort. They are easy to get a hold of if there are any problems. Only had to call them once of five visits, with the scooter stopping occasionally and they were out to meet me as I got to a park and exchange for new ecv in less than 30 min. Definitely highly recommend them and I think that is a common opinion here on the Dis. I get the three wheeled deluxe scooter and it's got a nice tight turning radius which is quite helpful getting on and off the bus, as well as in stores or ride lines(though I really usually just park it when doing rides now).

Also, as far as rides, the one I had most trouble with was It's a small world. The seats are very low and knees are uncomfortable for me, even after knee replacements. You might want to try to get your own row so you can put your leg out on the seat. It can be a bit challenging getting out of the boat but there is the seat back of the bench to use as well as a railing you can pull up on while getting out. Sometimes I wonder how anyone taller than me,(5'1" here), with longs legs, manages sitting there - there is not a lot of leg room! But, I still must ride, lol, so I do it anyway! Pirates is similar with lower boats and short leg room but not quite as bad.
I don't do the coasters, except occasionally BTMR, or I can do 7DMT but bending my knees is okay there, though ride is not super comfy. Probably wouldn't work in your situation right now.

The scooters really are pretty easy to drive, you can adjust the speed to what you are comfortable with. Just be alert and aware of others around you as they aren't always aware of you - some guests just ignore you as if they don't see you and walk in front of you or just stop dead in front of you. The ecv's are really a great way to be able to get around when you need that and generally easy to use, like others said just practice a bit at the resort before heading out and you'll be a pro pretty quickly! Good luck and have a great trip! Hope you're soon back to good health!

If you haven't already made a ressie to rent a scooter, I will offer my suggestion to use Walker Mobility. They have always been really great and helpful. They come to meet me to drop off and then pick up the ecv. I just call them when I land and then when I get on the Magical express when leaving the airport to go to our resort. They are easy to get a hold of if there are any problems. Only had to call them once of five visits, with the scooter stopping occasionally and they were out to meet me as I got to a park and exchange for new ecv in less than 30 min. Definitely highly recommend them and I think that is a common opinion here on the Dis. I get the three wheeled deluxe scooter and it's got a nice tight turning radius which is quite helpful getting on and off the bus, as well as in stores or ride lines(though I really usually just park it when doing rides now).

Also, as far as rides, the one I had most trouble with was It's a small world. The seats are very low and knees are uncomfortable for me, even after knee replacements. You might want to try to get your own row so you can put your leg out on the seat. It can be a bit challenging getting out of the boat but there is the seat back of the bench to use as well as a railing you can pull up on while getting out. Sometimes I wonder how anyone taller than me,(5'1" here), with longs legs, manages sitting there - there is not a lot of leg room! But, I still must ride, lol, so I do it anyway! Pirates is similar with lower boats and short leg room but not quite as bad.
I don't do the coasters, except occasionally BTMR, or I can do 7DMT but bending my knees is okay there, though ride is not super comfy. Probably wouldn't work in your situation right now.

The scooters really are pretty easy to drive, you can adjust the speed to what you are comfortable with. Just be alert and aware of others around you as they aren't always aware of you - some guests just ignore you as if they don't see you and walk in front of you or just stop dead in front of you. The ecv's are really a great way to be able to get around when you need that and generally easy to use, like others said just practice a bit at the resort before heading out and you'll be a pro pretty quickly! Good luck and have a great trip! Hope you're soon back to good health!

Its a Small World has a boat that you can just walk on with no steps. Not sure if its new or not. When they saw my knee immobilizer they let me go on that one and it was great. If they don't mention it, just ask!

Please consider that people in wheelchairs do this same thing, every day, without event. The parks (and the resorts and transportation) are set to accommodate people with disabilities. In fact, there are laws that dictate that most everything must be accessible- and Disney often goes beyond what is legally required.

Transportation from the Polynesian to Magic Kingdom can be via monorail (where they have CMs who put down a ramp onto the monorail train) or via ferry (where they have flat ramps onto and off of the ferry). You can get to Epcot using a different, but identical, monorail track. Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom would require you to ride a bus- and I think several of them have lifts.

There is a guide for the rides in the different parks and how accessible they can be- somewhere on this forum. For most rides, you will enter through the FastPass lane (with your party) and get onto the ride where most people exit. On the occasions when you cannot stay in your ECV, it will only have to be 10 feet away or so- but, in those cases, you can transfer to a manual chair. You will have an opportunity, when you arrive at a ride, to ask the CM about how the ride is structured, so you can make a determination about what you can do. The CMs are almost always incredibly considerate and helpful in this regard. For the most part, there are only a handful of rides, in any of the parks, that are difficult to access- but, it all depends on your particular needs.

The dining areas can be tight because of crowds, but if your partner can "scout out" seating that will work for you, you can stay on your ECV to eat. Other than that, navigating around common areas are simple.

Also- dare I say it?- using an ECV is a whale of a lot more FUN than trying to hobble around on crutches or rely on someone for mobility. You should definitely take the time to whiz around your loved ones while you have a chance! :) I hope you have a great trip...

Thank you, and you are so right. People do this all the time, and I'm sure its just the fear of the unknown that puts me off - once I'm there and feel settled I'm sure it will be fine!

I am glad we are staying at a resort with so many transport options though, this will be so useful for getting about. Good to know my husband can enter rides with me as I was worrying we'd be spilt.

Thank you! I actually went with Buena Vista Scooters, they seem to have god reviews here and liked I could drop the scooter off after rental and not worry about meeting someone.

I won't miss It's a Small World....that song drives me crazy!! LOL

Getting a lot better with my crutches so I think for most stores and restaurants I'll park it and have a walk to my table - I need to keep mobilising too to prevent the injury having a lasting effect on my mobility.

2 weeks today! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter