• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kitchen Remodel w/Mickey in Mind!

PlutoLuvr

KORT RORP/ERS AULS TKPWET T LA*S WORD :)
We're about to embark on a complete kitchen remodel. Have a wonderful contractor who did our bathroom last year.

We were going to ask him to incorporate a hidden mickey or two -- he has incredible vision and always incorporates "extras" -- but we're still in our picking out cabinets stage, and I just saw Mickey head knobs online. They'd be perfect for us!

My hesitation is re-sale. We do plan on staying in the home for a while, but I'm sure not forever. As you guys are aware, knobs for cabinets and drawers are a small fortune, and I hate to assume any future homebuyer would be as into Disney as we are.

Should we go for the knobs, or should we stick with a hidden mickey or two actually constructed into the room?

Also, if anyone has any experience with these knobs, I'd love to hear some feedback on how durable they are:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp...&productId=1193754&langId=-1&categoryId=11909

I'm hoping to get a 40 percent off coupon soon, so they'd be comparable to any other knob in our price range.

I say go for the knobs. I have those knobs on my kitchen cabinets, and I'm always getting complimented on them. I hope you post some pictures of your Mickey kitchen when it's done!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Another question: Are they like a darker finish or more like a lighter finish? It's so hard to tell from the computer screen.

Our kitchen is tiny and has one large window. We're trying to keep things light in color, a sort of honey glaze on natural wood for the cabinets, and we were hoping for a lighter metallic finish on the knobs. Some angles on the website for those knobs makes them appear almost black. I'm afraid black won't do :(

PlutoLuvr said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Another question: Are they like a darker finish or more like a lighter finish? It's so hard to tell from the computer screen.

Our kitchen is tiny and has one large window. We're trying to keep things light in color, a sort of honey glaze on natural wood for the cabinets, and we were hoping for a lighter metallic finish on the knobs. Some angles on the website for those knobs makes them appear almost black. I'm afraid black won't do :(

The knobs are a very shiny black. Do you really think the color won't work? I think the black won't have an effect of making the kitchen appear dark, but instead the knobs just stand out and make a statement. Do some internet searching for mickey knobs, because I have seen them in pewter and white. Good luck!

Hi. :wave2: I want to gradually add Disney decorating things into our home. But where else from the internet can we purchase stuff? We are heading to Disney next March is there is any good decorating stores in Orlando. :confused3

I have those knobs from the disney store (in my bathroom) and I lOVE THEM.

I look forward to seeing your kitchen when you are done. :thumbsup2

The knobs are adorable and I say go for it. When it comes time to sell your house you can pick up inexpensive but nice knobs at Home Depot or Lowe's to replace your Mickey's and then you can take them with you! I'd change them before you list the house though so that there are no questions about you keeping them.

Update!

Knobs have been ordered, as well as cabinets, and should be here by mid-December. I couldn't resist a Mickey porch light to match our fireplace screen, so that's coming with the knobs and keeping them company for their road trip ;)

DH & I also agreed that we'd just take the knobs with us whenever we move.

One bump in the road so far is due to some of the corners in our kitchen, the knobs won't work on some of the drawers -- we'll need drawer pulls for those instead of knobs. Our contractor pointed this out to us and gave us a little demo showing how the knob on one drawer would prevent an abutting drawer from opening because knobs stick out further than pulls.

Soooo, knobs will be on the cabinets, and we'll take a Mickey head over to a home store and match the metal for a pull for the drawers. I originally thought that this would just "ruin everything!" but we had dinner over at my in-laws, who just finished their kitchen remodel, and they have knobs on the cabinets and matching pulls on the drawers, so I guess this is done.

We scored an online coupon for 35 percent off our order, so the knobs were way affordable!

Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions. Will keep y'all posted :)

Oh I'm glad you went for the knobs... I love something whimsical in all of my rooms, and I don't think someone would not buy your home in the future just because of the knobs.

Ooooh ... they arrived yesterday :goodvibes :goodvibes

They're adorable! And they're a much "brighter" metal than I had thought, definitely a stainless steel finish as opposed to a like gun metal or pewter finish. And heavy, too. I think they'll be perfect.

Sooooo, did you get finished? I'd love to see pics. I'm thinking of doing a Mickey Gingerbread theme in my kitchen, but not sure where to start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter