Kirstie Kelly for Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings- THE DISNEY WEDDING GOWNS!!!!

Im not a skinny mini either. And I REFUSE to buy bigger jeans. Dont ya just hate when they start feeling tight and you know they would fit better in a bigger size but you REFUSE to go there. So ive been trying to kick my own butt in gear as well. If I allow myself to buy those bigger jeans when will my cycle ever stop. I cannot speak on behalf of anyone elses experience other than my own-- and all i can say is that I, myself, will not go bigger.

AMEN SISTER!!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Well the wedding dress I have bought is also a US size 12, but if I can get into it, I will feel great!! I know Wedding dresses tend to be on the small size, so I'm sure if I can wear that dress, in everyday clothes I'll actually be slimmer:)

alisonswonderland - I am so happy you stated your size of wedding dress, I thought you looked absolutely stunning in your pics, but I thought I could never get down to that size, but you have inspired me. You look so much smaller, and you have curves, you go girl:thumbsup2

Maggie - You too looked stunning on your wedding day, and again you look much smaller than you think you do, who wants to be skinny? You look really slim and great:thumbsup2

I am also still trying to lose weight and while I agree that maybe Wedding dresses should be offered in a variety of larger sizes, I aggree wholeheartedly with PrettyInTink, I could have ordered the size I was when I stepped in that bridal salon, but my wedding day is the kick in the a** I need to lose the weight. Now I have PCOS and losing weight isn't easy, but it's not impossible! I still have 30 pounds to go to get to my ideal weight, but I know I'll do it. To be honest I don't know if I would have made the effort I am if I wasn't getting married. No one can tell me that anyone who is a size 30 or above is healthy and I'm not saying that to be mean, but it is true, I'm not talking about image here, but health. My mother who was a size 20 had to have a triple bypass when she was just 54, this was because she was overweight. She had to lose 28 pounds before the operation just so she could be safely put under anasthetic. Now that is a wake up call! I don't want to be in that situation or become diabetic which I know I have a greater chance of becoming if I am overweight. I used to Nurse and I have seen all the complications of being overweight can bring, so isn't it worth the extra effort to lose the weight?
I know I'm likely going to get flamed for this, but please remember I am not talking about the majority, many women feel they are overweight and medically they aren't, people tend to forget that your height and structure is a big factor. I have a medium sized frame, have muscular legs (previous sprinter) and a large chest. These things alone will not allow me to become a 'skinny minnie' but nor do I want to, I like my curves but I want to be healthy and I know right now I'm not.

Oh man...It can be so frustrating, can't it. I've been fighting being overweight since I was 10.

I'll never forget the day that my skating coach pulled me aside because I was getting chubby and told me it was time to go on a diet. How devestating as a 10 year old.

I struggle every day with my weight and I worked my butt off to lose 20 pounds for my wedding day (and now it's slowly creepinig back on...). I have the hardest time finding jeans that fit because of my figure skater thighs (boy was I thankful that bridal wear poofs out at the hips ;) )

I think it's really sad that many of us have been taught to hate our bodies, to criticisize every part.

At the same time I'm really nervous for our health as a society. In my city 1 out of 2 adults are obese. Diabetes seems rampant. It just makes me really worried.

I read this thread about an hour ago and debated whether or not I wanted to post anything. I really try to stay out of weight topics on this board since that is my profession.

I am not trying to start any fights, but please keep in mind that weight loss is NOT easy. Some people really cannot lose weight. Granted all you have to do is consume less calories than you burn off, but if it was truly that easy, no one would have a weight problem. We are products of our environment and our adult weight is determined by sooooo many other factors besides our personal choices (if we were breastfed, if sour foods were introduced to us as babies before sweet foods, etc.). It is not just a matter of will power and motivation. Our society focuses every social event, holiday, and celebration around food. Recent research estimates that over 1/2 of overweight individuals have binge eating disorder which is a very serious eating disorder, just like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. It needs to be treated through medical doctors, dieticians, personal trainers, medication etc. That is expensive and most people, even w/ adequate personal motivation, cannot afford that. Behavior change is so difficult. Besides financial support, people need social support to do this.

Health is so important. I wish everyone could be of a healthy weight, but that unfortunately cannot happen anytime soon in our society. To those of you who have lost weight, congrats, that is seriously awesome and I am so proud of you. However, let's please be sensitive to everyone on these boards. We do not know each other's backgrounds and personal situations. This is supposed to be a place of support, so let's try to keep it that way :hug:

I read this thread about an hour ago and debated whether or not I wanted to post anything. I really try to stay out of weight topics on this board since that is my profession.

I am not trying to start any fights, but please keep in mind that weight loss is NOT easy. Some people really cannot lose weight. Granted all you have to do is consume less calories than you burn off, but if it was truly that easy, no one would have a weight problem. We are products of our environment and our adult weight is determined by sooooo many other factors besides our personal choices (if we were breastfed, if sour foods were introduced to us as babies before sweet foods, etc.). It is not just a matter of will power and motivation. Our society focuses every social event, holiday, and celebration around food. Recent research estimates that over 1/2 of overweight individuals have binge eating disorder which is a very serious eating disorder, just like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. It needs to be treated through medical doctors, dieticians, personal trainers, medication etc. That is expensive and most people, even w/ adequate personal motivation, cannot afford that. Behavior change is so difficult. Besides financial support, people need social support to do this.

Health is so important. I wish everyone could be of a healthy weight, but that unfortunately cannot happen anytime soon in our society. To those of you who have lost weight, congrats, that is seriously awesome and I am so proud of you. However, let's please be sensitive to everyone on these boards. We do not know each other's backgrounds and personal situations. This is supposed to be a place of support, so let's try to keep it that way :hug:

Jen- If you are breastfed are you likely to be more overweight or healthier? haha-- now im going to consider this answer when I choose what to do when I have a child one day- so tell me the truth!;)

Jen- If you are breastfed are you likely to be more overweight or healthier? haha-- now im going to consider this answer when I choose what to do when I have a child one day- so tell me the truth!;)

I know I'm not Jen, but my mom is a lactation consultant (fancy phrase for helping new moms with breastfeeding issues at the hospital).

The benefits of breastfeeding are resistance against any infection the mother is exposed to and could give to the infant and when the baby get immunized, breastfeeding enhances their immune response futher. It also supports brain and nervous system tissue development, and adults who were breastfeed as children have lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, less chance of developing chrone's disease, and less obesity. Also, the baby is less likely to get diabetes and some childhood cancers like lymphoma and leukemias. AND the mom is less likely to get pre-menopausal breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or osteoporosis.

Hope that helps your decision! I know that I will for sure breastfeed my kids, to me it is the ONLY option. Good luck with your decision!

I know I'm not Jen, but my mom is a lactation consultant (fancy phrase for helping new moms with breastfeeding issues at the hospital).

The benefits of breastfeeding are resistance against any infection the mother is exposed to and could give to the infant and when the baby get immunized, breastfeeding enhances their immune response futher. It also supports brain and nervous system tissue development, and adults who were breastfeed as children have lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, less chance of developing chrone's disease, and less obesity. Also, the baby is less likely to get diabetes and some childhood cancers like lymphoma and leukemias. AND the mom is less likely to get pre-menopausal breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or osteoporosis.

Hope that helps your decision! I know that I will for sure breastfeed my kids, to me it is the ONLY option. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much for the great response. I have previously planned on it (Ive always heard its better for the baby not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper). I was breastfed myself so knowing my mom made that decision for us makes me realize it must have been a good one. Thank you!:goodvibes

Kate, awesome job explaining that :thumbsup2 I'm sure she answered your question Maggie :hug:

You said this just perfect.

I am so sorry I turned this thread in the wrong direction. :sad: it was supposed to be about the Disney dresses and I could've kept my mouth shut.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my strong opinions. I shouldn't have forced them on anyone.

Back to the dresses anyone?

You're welcome Maggie!

And about the dresses, I really like some of them. One of the sleeping beauty dresses looks very similiar to mine from the front!
popbride_sb6.jpg

So that makes me really happy! I like the dresses because they are so elegant and don't look like every other dress I've ever seen. I can definitely see where some of the princess influences are in the dresses, but it is very subtle. I'm sure the dresses weren't meant to be too cartoonish and completely mimic the movies, but appeal to a wider audience.

I still love my dress though:)

I just need to add my opinion on the weight topic.

I think the poster who mentioned weight first does have a point about health. It is definitely not good to be obese for health reasons. We all know this. But even though I believe that healthy is good, I also know from experience that malnutrition and being too skinny is just as damaging as being significantly overweight. I don't like that other posters might feel demeaned or targeted, even though I'm sure that wasn't the intention. Everyone is beautiful on their wedding day because they're happy and found someone who loves her as she is - whether she's at her goal weight, halfway to it or a mile away.

In addition, I agree with the poster who reminded us that weight loss is not easy. Many people have hormone disorders, tumors, diabetes, thyroid conditions, etc. that make it even more difficult. Even stress causes weight gain. What a shame that an overworked person who is trying to do school, work, family, etc. can also suffer that additional burder of increased cortisol production leading to weight gain!

While perhaps a size 28 is not a healthy goal, the fact is that many people are at that weight or higher. There was a 1000 lb. woman on TV. I would hate to think that if she lost 750 lbs. she STILL wouldn't be able to get her wedding dress. She can't just give up on her wedding dream. People at higher weights do get married. Maybe they will lose weight later, but they want to start their life with their loved one now - if they are a size 18, 20, 32, they still need and deserve a nice dress.

Also, you can definitely be a size 16 or 18 and be healthy and beautiful. Maybe not at 5' 2" but some women are tall and carry it in just the right places. Check my girl out here - she's 18/20. It depends on height/muscle tone, etc.

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/charlotte.htm

Those wedding dresses are so pretty!

I haven't gone looking for a wedding dress yet (wedding is years off), but I just know that I'm going to have to be in a dress that's 10 sizes bigger than I normally am. I have 32DD chest, and when I went to find a prom dress at Neiman Marcus, none of the dresses that were my normal size (I'm a size small or 27-28 in jeans/pants; but if I don't shove my large chest into shirts, I'm up to a size large in shirts/bathing suit tops) would fit! I had to look at size 12-14 even though I'm a size 2-4 in everything else (except my chosen prom dress, which is my size strangely)!

I think formal wear as a whole just makes people feel awful about themselves, which I don't think it should. Whether you're a size 00, 12, or 30, I think that when you're getting formal wear, it's supposed to be for a joyous or happy event (proms, weddings, or balls). Why try and get people's feelings down when you're trying to get them to make a purchase?

I thought I would post a link to photos from the recent runway show. Perhaps they'll show a few of the gowns from a different angle. Also, one of the gowns is in black (photo # 10) and another gown is in red (photo # 13). My ~uneducated~ guess is that those gowns are bridesmaids dresses?? And if you view photo # 9, you'll see what the designer (Kirstie Kelly) looks like.

Click here to view press photos.

By the way, on the official website, it lists the following colors for the wedding gowns:

Cinderella: White, Ivory, Light Gold, Cream
Sleeping Beauty: White, Ivory, Blush
Snow White: White, Ivory
Jasmine: White, Ivory, Champagne
Ariel: Ivory and White
Belle: White, Ivory, Light Gold

Please note that not all of the gowns in those collections will come in all of those colors. I simply listed the range of colors for a particular collection in case someone is interested in getting a dress in another color besides white.

Frankly I'm dissapointed by these dresses. I see very little similarities between gowns the princesses wore in comparison to Miss Kelly's designs. I would have liked gowns that actually resembled those we've seen in the films. I can find Miss Kelly's gowns at any other boutique. Also the model used for the Ariel gown was a poor choice, none of the dresses fit her properly! :confused3

I thought I would share the Tokyo Disney gowns with you lovely ladies. Now I'm not positive if these gowns are available for purchase, no prices were listed and I don't speak Japanese. All these pictures are from the official Japanese site. I absolutely adore these gowns and all of them feel very Disney princess to me. Enjoy. :cutie:

http://www.disneyweddings.jp

TheRosePrincessAurora.png
TheSnowPrincessSnowwhite.png

TheSterlingPrincessBelle.png
TheFelicityPrincessSnowwhite.png

Also, one of the gowns is in black (photo # 10) and another gown is in red (photo # 13). My ~uneducated~ guess is that those gowns are bridesmaids dresses??

I found my answer in an official press release:

"In October, the collection will expand to include a full bridesmaid and flower girl range."

I also read that they'll be adding jewelry to the line.

An interesting comment that I read on someone's blog this evening mentioned that none of the dresses have sleeves. They thought this was a sore point with the collection. I have to admit that I agree. Not everyone wants a strapless or sleeveless gown. Plus, some houses of worship require that brides be covered up somewhat (too much flesh is unacceptable). Since Disney is on record as targeting a larger audience than just their Fairy Tale Weddings brides, this will be a sore point with some brides.

Overall, though, I think some of the gowns are lovely. I hope the quality of the workmanship and material shines through. It will be interesting to hear what folks report back after they've viewed the gowns in person.

For those of you who are having a hard time understanding where the dress designer got her inspiration, here is an official brochure (in PDF format) that might help shed a little more light on things: click here.

After looking at those images of the real Disney princesses, I find it amusing that quite a few of their outfits have sleeves (see my prior post regarding this subject).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter