Kim Mulkey's Comments Post South Carolina/LSU Basketbrawl

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
Were her comments "justified" or do they only increase the chances of another incident should South Carolina and LSU meet in the NCAA Tournament?

huh? Link? what happened and what did she say?
This is the comment that many are criticizing.

Some are reading it as she is saying fighting is OK,but it should be between players of equal size.

But I can tell you this: I wish (Cardoso) would have pushed Angel Reese. Don't push a kid — you're 6-8. Don't push somebody that little. That was uncalled for, in my opinion. Let those two girls that were jawing, let them go at it.

I'm not a Kim Mulkey fan, but it sounds like she's saying "pick on someone your own size" (or at least close to it).

These are 2 tough teams who play a very physical style of ball. No big deal IMHO. But I'd love to see a rematch in the conference tourney.

0*LcnSbQHUdp5uA4Tc.png

From the video posted above, it looks like she shoved a player who had shoved her teammate. Not sure why she would shove Reece since she wasn't the one I saw. It was a stupid move. They are old enough to know that it is usually the 2nd hit that gets flagged!

I will say I think Dawn Staley handled her comments much better than Kim Mulkey. Don't encourage worse behavior. Stand up and say it was all bad behavior. But, given that it is Mulkey, I am not at all surprised.

Angel Reese had a better response that her coach did. She acknowledged that sometimes you have to walk away from situations and not get caught up in it. Of course, she also was pulling hair and sending elbows flying during the game.

Last edited:
Reese had nothing to do with the altercation so why would she be "picked on" at all. It seems more like pick on Reese and see what she does to you. Very inappropriate for someone who is supposed to be a leader for these young women.

I just saw where Flau'jae's brother was arrested for his actions and remains in jail as of this morning.OUCH!

And I noticed the South Carolina players who were ejected were NOT allowed to return to the Court for the Championship celebration after the game.

She's fine (well, relatively speakng...lol). She was just saying to pick on someone your own size. If anything, the punishments of the players being suspended for the first NCAA should be enough to keep most in line if they meet again.

The whole thing was embarrassing for both schools.

The comments afterwards from the coaches were .... very different. One apologized for the actions of her team and they will be dealt with. The other ... girls will be girls, and they need to learn more about fighting ... bad look.

I would hope the SEC will make a determination about their future in the tournament NOW not after it's all over. But it is the SEC so ... :rolleyes:

It was. And ... yeah, I don't even have words anymore. I guess I'm glad she's not tearing her players down - given how she treated Angel Reece at the beginning of the season, I'm surprised she seems to support her now. It's so egregious that my kids know there are two topics not to bring up or else I'll start ranting like a mad man. One of them has to do with politics and a well-known figure. The other is Kim Mulkey.

Comments today from Mulkey.

Seems to be no "regret" for Sunday's comments.

“I am what I am," Mulkey said. "I have no ill intentions. I have no agenda. I speak from my heart. I speak from my life experiences. And people like it or don’t like it. I have nothing, nothing whatsoever in my heart to harm anybody, but I fight like hell. That’s who I am.”

Comments today from Mulkey.

Seems to be no "regret" for Sunday's comments.

“I am what I am," Mulkey said. "I have no ill intentions. I have no agenda. I speak from my heart. I speak from my life experiences. And people like it or don’t like it. I have nothing, nothing whatsoever in my heart to harm anybody, but I fight like hell. That’s who I am.”
I would agree that she is what she is; and, "when people show you who they are, believe them." I also believe that from her perspective, she probably feels she doesn't have an agenda - it's always others who do (scientists, the government, folks who are LGBTQ, sexual assault advocates or those who don't want to see SA swept under the rug). It's amazing to see someone who should be a leader who is as self-unaware. When I think of her and any interview, etc she does, I think of the line from The West Wing, "Is it possible to be astonished but not surprised?"

Latest comments from Mulkey.

Sounds like this Tiger is still growling.lol

Mulkey said Thursday that the media's coverage wouldn't have been as extensive for men, thus calling it "sexist."

“When you have two tough teams who play so hard, who are so good, and compete, those kind of things happen,” Mulkey said on her weekly appearance on WAFB in Baton Rouge. “And it’s so out of control with the media right now. You don’t give that much attention when the men do it, so why do you keep writing it about the women? It really comes across, and I’ll just say it, it comes across as a little bit sexist.”

Mulkey suggested that the media is "tearing down two great teams" and a "woman that coaches one of those teams."

"It's not newsworthy after the first introduction," Mulkey said. "I've seen every men's game that has had something like that, and it's no big deal. We mention it. We move on."

"Nobody got in a fight," Mulkey said on WAFB in Baton Rouge. "There were no punches thrown. There was nobody choked. It was a shoving match. Whoop-dee-doo. So, let's move on."

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter