Killarney and Dublin on the Ireland Tour

redzinner

Me Wants the Medianoche!
Looking a little closer at the itinerary now that we are 3 weeks away from 'fly' day and I see that we have 2 whole afternoons/evenings to ourselves in Killarney.
Any suggestions on what to do or see that we shouldn't miss? I know the guides will have some suggestions but did any previous travelers find any hidden gems?

Looking a little closer at the itinerary now that we are 3 weeks away from 'fly' day and I see that we have 2 whole afternoons/evenings to ourselves in Killarney.
Any suggestions on what to do or see that we shouldn't miss? I know the guides will have some suggestions but did any previous travelers find any hidden gems?

Well, one afternoon we hiked to Ross Castle, which was in Killarney National Park - a scenic, wonderful walk (a little over a mile each way). The weather was gorgeous and everything was in bloom (late May, just like your trip!). The park is literally right next to the hotel, in fact our hotel room faced the park. You can explore the castle as well for a small fee.

The other afternoon was wet and rainy, (by the way, the ONLY rainy day during our trip) so our hubby's took the opportunity to nap, while BFF and I explored the town in our rain gear, did some shopping and stopped for tea and scones.

You've got to have dinner at Bricin one night - the boxties are AWESOME!

Thanks Poppins2000 ... just the kind of info I am looking for. You probably had it in your trip report. I'll need to go back and reread it. It would be nice if the moderators would give us a sub forum section for trip reports like another poster suggested.

just bumping to get something else off the front page

So glad you asked this question...we are doing the June 17th Emerald Isle and I love hearing about fun things to do during our free time.

Anyone eat at Treyvaud's when they were in Killarney? They are closed Monday and Tuesday but our last night in Killarney is a Wednesday so we might want to give it a try.

Are you getting excited Wonders10?

SO Excited! The good (yet bad thing) is that I work as a speech pathologist in the schools so we are swamped with end of school year meetings and cleaning out, etc so I have been very busy with work on top of my usual busy caseload. But in the mean time we are all making lists of the little things we need to get, toiletries, stuff for the plane, clothes, bags, etc. I do not like flying so that dampens my excitement sometimes but this will truly be the trip of a lifetime for us so it is worth some nervousness.

Are you going to do a trip report when you get back? What other things have you planned out for your free time during the trip? We have made a list of some restaurants we thought might be good in Dublin and things to do since we are coming in a day early, but don't really have a set plan of what we want to do in our free time.

I haven't made any plans for free time either!

Does anyone know anything about Newgrange? It came highly recommended to me by someone -but I think it will be too hard to get to it.

I haven't made any plans for free time either!

Does anyone know anything about Newgrange? It came highly recommended to me by someone -but I think it will be too hard to get to it.

It definitley looks doable from Dublin. Are you arriving a day early?
I gather the Newgrange site is older than Stonehenge even.
This Newgrange Shuttle Bus stop is pretty close to the Westin I think. I haven't looked at a map yet though to see exactly where it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter