• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kilimanjaro Safari, is it worth it?

From a practical perspective, if you think you might do the Safari, get a FP+. The line there is long, crowded, hot, and super boring. With rare exception, you will deeply regret a game time decision that lands you in the Standby line.

We love it, and would not miss it, even after 50+ trips. Where else are you going to see, in the span of just 20 minutes, giraffe, hippos, rhinos, elephant, a variety of deer and antelope and other four footed friends, warthogs, zebra, mandrill, ostrich, two types of big cats, rare birds, and crocodile (plus others)? With a cute story, and usually a friendly and well-done narration by a CM. It's a fun ride. At AK, your FP+ choices are few, which makes this FP+ worth it to my family. (Did I mention the standby line is long, hot and boring? Worth repeating.)

But make no mistake, it absolutely is "just" a truck ride through a series of zoo-like, open air exhibit enclosures, with live (scripted) narration and some animal spotting help from the driver.

It's Disney World. It's an attraction that you haven't done. Why skip it? If it's not as exciting as the real thing, so what? Ride it. You may have been on a Safari in Africa, but you haven't been on one in AK.

I don't think the OP sounded snobbish at all. If you have a limited amount of time in WDW, you want to use that time wisely. The safari can easily take up 30 minutes of time (more if you don't have FP+). If OP thinks they could use that time more valuably, why not? There is so much to see and do in WDW and you can't do it all, so we all plan according to our needs and desires. I've also been to Mexico, Italy, Germany, Norway, Canada, UK, France and the US and still visit WS, but we go to WDW often Do I enjoy it, yes. Does it in any way compare to actually being in the country, absolutely not.

We don't use FP+ at AK. Last time we did EE a few times at RD and then headed over to Safari with no wait. This was on a Saturday. I think it's worth a ride in the early morning.

There's actually very little at AK I bother with using a FP for. I don't like Dinosaur or the water ride (I tend to go when it's cooler and being wet and cold is not fun), EE is just OK and you can do single rider. So I get a FP for the Safari and then try to time a standby for one of the very last rides of the day!

It's definitely not going to compare to a real safari, so if that's your standard, I'd skip it.

That said, I love the Safari. It's a great place to see lots of animals. Your experience can vary greatly depending on driver and what the animals are doing. My favorite part is you just never know what you can see.
We've had only had one safari that if it was my first time riding, I'd be confused at the hype. He sped through, didn't provide any info on animals, and quite a few animals weren't out.
Last time, we had an excellent, charismatic driver who talked non-stop and he shared facts we've never heard. We also were fortunate to see 3 elephants playing in the water which is something we've never seen. A zebra also came up to the side of the vehicle right in front of my son that trip.

It just really comes down to personal preference.

I'll be the odd man out. I don't find the safari particularly impressive. We have two amazing zoos by my house, so I feel like the safari is basically taking the tram tour through those if that makes sense. :confused3

An excellent point about the ability of zoos. You can stop and look at the animals for a long period of time if you want. Even quite close up with glass. Underwater viewing of the hippos? Yes please.
Disney probably wisely built the safari for a few good reasons. They realized that their guest count numbers would be much greater than those of the most popular zoos. How can you get 15,000 people have a positive experience viewing the elephants, the giraffes, and the hippos? (In effect: not having everyone pile up in a viewing area). By not allowing them the chance to stop. It also helps with their conservation impacts, the animals generally have more more space to roam around in, it promotes a 'real feel' without the cages, whatever.

I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but the post comes off a bit snobbish. So you've been on a safari in Africa. Great, that's awesome. What does that have to do with going on a ride at WDW? If your expectations are to be on a 2 week trek, you'll be disappointed. But if you go in with the idea that you'll get to see animals and have a good time, it'll be great.

I race cars. But I still enjoy riding Tomorrowland Speedway with my family and still enjoy the banked turn on Test Track.

Not trying to be harsh, but it sounds like you're already setting yourself up for disappointment. It's Disney. They can't have a true African safari for you to go on, but what they offer is pretty darn good.

I was not at all trying to say anything Disney offers isn't pretty darn good. I love Disney, I live on the west coast and growing up family's favourite vacation was Disneyland. That said, this is my first time going to Disney World and as there is so much to see and a limited amount of time I was just trying to get an idea of what the safari actually was. Is it just a drive through a safari type nature park or is it something more like the Disney Jungle Cruise...

I mentioned having been on safari because I can see how if someone hadn't been on one it could be a highlight to experience the animals in nature drive- I know it would be for me if I hadn't experienced it on a large scale recently - but wasn't sure it would be worth my park time if there wasn't a large element to Disney to it aside from the animals.

I'm surprised this question seemed to rub some people the wrong way, that was not at all my intention.

I do appreciate all the helpful comments, I know I won't be able to see everything but as it's a bit of a trek from Vancouver to Orlando I hope to fit in as much as possible :)

a must every trip and hopefully I can enjoy the night time one in November if it is available.

I was not at all trying to say anything Disney offers isn't pretty darn good. I love Disney, I live on the west coast and growing up family's favourite vacation was Disneyland. That said, this is my first time going to Disney World and as there is so much to see and a limited amount of time I was just trying to get an idea of what the safari actually was. Is it just a drive through a safari type nature park or is it something more like the Disney Jungle Cruise...

I mentioned having been on safari because I can see how if someone hadn't been on one it could be a highlight to experience the animals in nature drive- I know it would be for me if I hadn't experienced it on a large scale recently - but wasn't sure it would be worth my park time if there wasn't a large element to Disney to it aside from the animals.

I'm surprised this question seemed to rub some people the wrong way, that was not at all my intention.

I do appreciate all the helpful comments, I know I won't be able to see everything but as it's a bit of a trek from Vancouver to Orlando I hope to fit in as much as possible :)

It's a ride through a wildlife preserve. It's not like Jungle Cruise - the animals are real and there are no terribly awesome puns.
KS is a good example of the ultimate in Disney detheming. It originally had a strong anti-poaching and nature conservation theme, but those parts are long gone.
If nothing else, the ride is a nice break from walking, a chance to see animals, and you get to hear part of Hapa Duniani!

Consider a zoo tram tour, as mentioned befor ein this thread.

Skip a FP for it, hit it early in the morning (EMH?) and animals will generally be far more active than they will be later. They tend to lay around by mid-morning until dusk.

The Safari is our favorite ride at AK, always try and due it multiple times each time we are in the park. Where else are you going to get a 20 minute ride for 1 FP ;)

The nice thing about the Safari is the animals are doing their own thing. You never know what you'll find them doing, which in itself is fun even if you live in a wild life preserve in Africa and could walk out and see them every day on our front porch. Animals do the darnedest things. They never cease to entertain me.
For that reason alone, we take the time for the safari. Sometimes we are blessed when some fun antics. Other times, not so much. But I've never gotten on it and regretted it.
Now, if there is no other reason for you to go to AK, no I wouldn't trek over there just for it but if you are at AK otherwise, why not. You'll have more than enough time to do it and everything else AK has to offer.

If a cheetah never runs, is it still a cheetah?

I kinda thought maybe that's where OP was going with her question. Just like the movie Blackfish had an impact on Sea World.

Disney released Finding Dori, know that the first Nemo move meant many blue tangs were captured for the pet trade. Blue tangs can't be red in captivity, so all 'pet' blue tangs were born wild. Wild blue tangs live 20-30 years, captive blue tangs live less than 3 years. Captive tangs never breed.

It is troubling to know Disney released a second Dori movie knowing the impact the first movie had on wild blue tangs.

If that's where OP was going, then yeah, she might not enjoy seeing captive animals after seeing wild ones.

definitely worth it if you are going to AK. Last trip we had the rhinos run right up to the truck - quite exciting. Each trip is a bit different.

Going with the EPCOT analogy...
Before I had been to the countries in World Showcase, I enjoyed EPCOT because it helped me dream of the day that I would actually see the real deal.
Now that I have been to many of those countries, when I go to EPCOT it gives me a bit of nostalgia that is more immersive than a photo.

If you're from Vancouver, you'll think 'oh, isn't that sweet' when you see the mini-Butchart Gardens in the Canadian pavilion. It might even make you want to take the ferry over to see it when you get back home.

Kilimanjaro Safaries might be disappointing, but it also might unleash a deep remembrance of what sounds like a wonderful time that you've had.

We also have had the amazing experience of going on a real African safari, 17 days in Kenya and Tanzania. And I can honestly tell you, the one in AK is very authentic! Remember how in Africa, each time you went out, it was a completely different experience? (until we got to the Serengeti, and after 4 days, it started to repeat itself)..well, this safari is similar. You just never know what you'll see. My family loves it! Even after 17 years of going to Disney. Absolutely give it a try. Oh, it is definitely not like the Jungle cruise, and is very much like Tarangire Park in Tanzania? different around every corner.

I've never been on a real African safari, but I think Kilimanjaro Safari at AK is a "must do". We went straight there at rope drop when we were there over Easter (actually Easter Sunday was our AK day), and while there was a mob of folks doing the same thing, we didn't wait. It just takes a long time to wind through the queue (I can't imagine standing in that thing for a long wait...ugh). The giraffes crossed in front of our truck, and one young giraffe was running and playing! It was so cute, I have video of him. The ride is fun, it's a great way, IMO, to get into the Animal Kingdom mood.

If you're willing to do rope drop at AK, I'd just hit the safari first and then you can use your FP+ for other things later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter