Kids on shoulders during the shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
I never stay and watch shows but for this past MVMCP I decided to and got midway close to the stage, center. Great view. However, when the show started a dad right in front of me put the kid on his shoulders which blocked the entire stage. I just abandoned the show and did something else, but my question is: how far up close to the stage does one have to get before parents don't put the kids on the shoulders? Right next to the stage? A few rows back? And if that's the case, how far in advance do I need to get there?

I cannot put my 10 year old on my shoulders but she is short and would like to view the show when we go to MNSSHP next year. You never know if there will be a shoulder kid in front of you until the show starts, because they all went up on the shoulders at that time and at that point it's too late to move.

Not knocking the kids on shoulders, which I know is inevitable. Just looking for strategies to avoid being behind them next time.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to say I have no surefire strategies to share with you, but I will say that I find this SO annoying! Seriously, we should all be able to watch the shows without trying to see through people on shoulders. Sorry you decided to stay and had your experience ruined by inconsiderate guests!

I have googled the topic to find out how soon I have to arrive at the stage, only to find very defensive parents who argue that the shows are for the kids, not adults. I understand that pov, but aren't they for kids of all ages? One day their child will be too big to go on the shoulders (I didn't see any 10 year olds on shoulders), yet they are still kids nonetheless. They will want to see the show but may have a kid on someone's shoulders blocking their view.

That's really unfortunate and highly inconsiderate. We've been lucky at the parties that we haven't encountered that behavior. Honestly, you may want to go back a little bit toward the MK entrance. We once watched Holiday Wishes from right outside the Main St. candy store and, while we really couldn't see the projections, the fireworks were still amazing and there were no crowds in that area as people, it seems, tend to push up into the hub area before the fireworks.

I have googled the topic to find out how soon I have to arrive at the stage, only to find very defensive parents who argue that the shows are for the kids, not adults. I understand that pov, but aren't they for kids of all ages? One day their child will be too big to go on the shoulders (I didn't see any 10 year olds on shoulders), yet they are still kids nonetheless. They will want to see the show but may have someone on someone's shoulders blocking their view.

Those are the parents who think they are the first people to have children. Their kids are special. They will put their 5yo on their shoulders and block the view of the 10-12yo children behind them. When their kids are the 10 and 12yos and a parent ahead of their child puts a child on their shoulders then mom and dad will be singing a different toon. It's okay till it happens to their child and then it's an outrage!

That's really unfortunate and highly inconsiderate. We've been lucky at the parties that we haven't encountered that behavior. Honestly, you may want to go back a little bit toward the MK entrance. We once watched Holiday Wishes from right outside the Main St. candy store and, while we really couldn't see the projections, the fireworks were still amazing and there were no crowds in that area as people, it seems, tend to push up into the hub area before the fireworks.

Thanks for the advice for fireworks. The stage show is what I tried to see, and would like to catch one without my view blocked next time. I think the only solution is to be within 3 rows of the front row. I don't think anyone has the huevos to put their kid on their shoulders that close to the stage, do they?

At the MK there are gated off lawn areas, standing at the gate at the back of such areas is safest as people in the lawn areas are far less likely to need to put their kid on their shoulders as they have more space in their area. We used this area to not need to put my DD8 on my shoulders. There was also a ledge maybe a foot or 2 tall that she was able to stand on from what I recall.

At the MK there are gated off lawn areas, standing at the gate at the back of such areas is safest as people in the lawn areas are far less likely to need to put their kid on their shoulders as they have more space in their area. We used this area to not need to put my DD8 on my shoulders. There was also a ledge maybe a foot or 2 tall that she was able to stand on from what I recall.

Were you able to see the stage show from there? Thanks!

My husband and I never put our children on our shoulders during parades and shows. We simply held them on our hips as this makes the child at least almost as tall as you are. It's harder this way but I just would never be able to be so inconsiderate as to block someone's view.

We were doing it for the show where they broadcast all the video on the castle....the name escapes me. The view for that was great. I imagine it wouldn't be as great for the Royal Friendship Fare as for that being closer might be best.

The view of the castle stage would be a bit better more to the left side of this garden/grassy area (the Plaza Garden East, pic is taken more on the right side), but it’s not ideal as it’s a ways away and you have various things - plants, poles, people, etc - in the way (shifting around, if able, can help). It’s ‘just OK’, but wouldn’t be suitable if you really want an up close view of what’s going on up on stage.

3.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised earlier this month that no one in front of us did it the very first castle lighting of the season.

But usually 26374574 people do it at the last minute ‘because Suzy Snowflake has to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

My husband just holds both our girls in his arms.

We were about 3/4 up Main Street to watch HEA. Right at the start of the show, people behinds started complaining that they couldn’t see. I looked to my left and some guy had his GIRLFRIEND up on his shoulders. After about 2 minutes of people yelling for her to get down, she finally did, and everyone applauded. The girlfriend then shouts, “You people are so petty!”

I just think, “You’re right, they are being petty. How dare they spend all this money on their vacation and not want to stare at your back during the most fantastic fireworks show they’ll ever see. They really should be more considerate.”

We were about 3/4 up Main Street to watch HEA. Right at the start of the show, people behinds started complaining that they couldn’t see. I looked to my left and some guy had his GIRLFRIEND up on his shoulders. After about 2 minutes of people yelling for her to get down, she finally did, and everyone applauded. The girlfriend then shouts, “You people are so petty!”

I just think, “You’re right, they are being petty. How dare they spend all this money on their vacation and not want to stare at your back during the most fantastic fireworks show they’ll ever see. They really should be more considerate.”

Lol at those people! 100% class.

We didn’t have problems with kids on shoulders this past trip. The problem we had was everyone and their grandma having flash on while recording the fireworks. Disney turns down all of their lights only for everyone to think it’s okay to have their darn flash on. You don’t even need the flash for the fireworks show lol

I'm 5'6" ish..Our strategy is to use dessert parties at Magic Kingdom, find something on the rail at Epcot and arrive 1:00 early to get something at the very front of the taped off section in font of the towers.

I don't mind the shoulders thing, I really don't. I get it.....being short I've been used to it my whole life.

This happened to us too! At what point do you recognize that life is not just about you?????? I was kind of shocked, there were several people who did this and no amount of complaint got them to relent.

My DH used to perch our DGD on his arm like a bird. She was still shorter than him, but at least she could see, and did not block anyone. The only time she went on his shoulders was when we stopped to view the parade from the sidewalk behind everyone who had already lined up.

I don't see how any decent human being thinks it is ok to put kids on shoulders. This is so rude and disrespectful. I will pick up kiddo and hold her so her face is near mine thus not adding feet to our total height. Maybe this is why we don't watch the shows often...it bothers me so much to see others be so inconsiderate

I still don’t understand why Disney will make people stand up for fireworks, on the argument that it’s a safety issue, and not make the same argument for kids on shoulders. It’s a LONG way down from up there and if they get dropped, they very likely will land on their head :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter