Kids first flight - Benadryl or Dramamine?

I agree that unless it is absolutley necessary, there is no reason to medicate them, . I think whenever a parent suffers from something we are to well aware of how a kid may suffer, so we sometimes overeact and go looking for an issue and trying to preempt it.

The advice that MattnMEgs MOm gave was really rediculous. To say a sleeping child is a happy one, after so many incidents of kids vomiting, choking in their sleep. Flight attendants would push for anything to make a child be quiet, but that is not advice to give to another parent.

Thanks! I guess the concensus is not to use anything. I wasn't looking to medicate them for no reason - I just wanted to be prepared in case any of them did get motion sick since I know what an awful feeling it is. I think I am as prepared as can be for the ears with sippy cups and lollipops (and I might try earplanes). I have seen suggestions for eating gingersnaps before boarding to "settle" the stomach and I also bought some crystalized ginger so maybe we will bring that as well in case there is any nausa.

As far as the portable DVD players - do they need to be strapped down in someway - what if there is turbulence? Can they just be held in a lap?

Sounds like you have made your decision -- I agree with it! No medication unless they need it. That being said, just pack the benedryl in your bag that you place under the seat. That way in case they do get sick, you have the medicine right there and you can give it to them. :) But I do agree not to give it to them unless they have taken it before. We have given it to our kids for allergy symptoms at night to help them sleep comfortably and it knocks both of ours out but I have heard horror stories about kids going super HYPER on it.

Our kids flew for the first time at 5 and 7 and had no problem with motion sickness. We talked about how exciting flying was for weeks leading up to the trip -- my 5 year old was a little worried about it being like a roller coaster (which he HATES!) but we just laughed and told jokes and let both of them chew gum at take off and landing -- not a normal treat around here.

We also let each child pick things to do for fun -- coloring books, books to read, etc. Turns out the most fun for them was playing on our Iphones -- we made sure we had plenty of games and movies loaded on before the trip. Just make sure to set your phone to airplane mode.

Try not to anticipate/worry about problems. They will pick up on your worry!!

I also agree with "playing" security check prior to the trip. We made it a game and each kid took turns being the security guard. HILARIOUS!!! They were pros by the time we actually made it to security. Also, look for the line that says Disabled/families with small children. Your local airport may not have it but the one in Orlando does. I didn't feel rushed and the guards were very patient with us! My favorite tip: Have everyone wear two pair of socks. That way you can walk on the floor after going through security with your outer socks then just pull those off and stick in your bag and have clean sock feet in your shoes!

This is true, but every child is different. While your children may not get sick, hers may. Now if the child would get sick, thats when you should help them. I would recommend childrens pepto. That seems to help. =)

If you want to save money on childrens pepto, just use tums - they're the same thing. My kids love tums, and it's a great source of calcium. OP, I wouldn't use benedryl. I've used it when the kids were little to get back on a good sleep schedule, but it has the same effect on them as it does on me - I fall asleep. I can't imagine trying to navigate 3 sleepy kids through an airport. I get motion sickness on rides that go around and around (can't even watch), and boats, but I'm fine on planes.

My 4 year old gets terrible motion sickness. I have sea-bands which I think help a little, but he almost always vomits either on the way to the airport, or after we land. I feel better when he is asleep because he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or nauseous. I like to book flights for very early in the morning so I have to wake my kids up around 4am or so. By the time we are taking off some 3 hours later, they are exhausted and always fall asleep. If it is a later flight, I have to medicate my older son. He is just miserable and ill and he shouldn't have to endure that. Having said that, he is almost 5 years old. I held out to medicate him until this age. I would never give benadryl to a 2 year old.

Our pediatrician recommend Tylenol ONLY. I would talk more to yours. Just because you have something doesn't mean they will. Kids are a lot tougher than adults in some aspects. I think motion sickness may be one of those areas.

It sounds like you already made your decision, but I wanted to add that my younger DD has gotten car sick on a couple of our longer trips. We have found that when we bring the DVD player and start it right away she doesn't get sick at all. Gotta love the power of videos:laughing:
She also had no issues with being ill during her first flight last month and the DVD player didn't work at all. We used gum, books, playing cards and the ipod touch to entertain. We were actually complimented on their behavior by other passengers (who no doubt started sweating the second they had to sit next to two young kids!!:) )

I realize that I am late here but I'll add my experience. I give benadryl before we fly because I have super sensitive allergic kids and they need something in their systems when we land or I have runny noses and sneezing for the first few days of a vacation. I also have had the pleasure of the tummy bug at 30,000 feet and I now travel with zofran from my doc just in case. They can puke as much as needed when we arrive at the hotel but in the car and on the plane, the zofran makes it better and gets us where we are going. On a different flight we got a fever bug, so I also carry mortrin, just in case.

Put me in the "don't drug healthy children" camp.

What I *do* reccommend and cannot speak highly enough of are Sea Bands. Yes, they sound like voodoo, but they really work. :) Got me through a pregnancy with hyperemesis (doctor talk for "throws up constantly) and were an absolute life saver. They are small woven bands with a little plastic piece inside that presses on a pressure point in the wrist and eases or prevents nausea. They are wonderful! About $10 a pair but they are reusable (I even washed mine repeatedly) and drug free. They also work pretty much instantly, so if the kid starts feeling queasy you don't have the waiting time feeling yucky.

My DD gets motion sick in the car, she has never gotten sick on a plane. Unless you know it is a problem then I would not give them anything.

Denise in MI

did anyone mention bonine, worked great while diving in rough water and we had never been seasick ever

My son is 18 now and has been flying (at least 6 times a year) since he was a year old. He is NOT every person's child. The first flight with my son resulted in me needing to medicate with a child's cold medicine (it was a combo medication that I brought with me so did not premedicate). He screamed the entire descent until the meds kicked in. At a year old he was not able to chew gum and I could not get him to nurse or suck on his bottle. He was just plain miserable. I still have never premedicated him. He does suffer from migraines and other issues but he does not have trouble flying any more. Many years of flying have helped us to discover strategies that work for him. Listening to music and chewing gum are his preferred remedies. Benadryl makes him sleepy but if I take it it makes me super hyper. Since I tend towards allergic reactions, benadryl is the only thing that stops the reaction, but even my coworkers can tell when I have taken benadryl as I tend to be hyper and nearly incoherent. . .lol.

Bottom line:

Take meds with you.
Don't medicate unless necessary
Have lots of activities for the kids to do
Have a back up plan if nothing works. (i.e.; comfort measures, blankies, favorite toys, etc)
Remember that they are just young kids. . .they will recover quickly and move on to the next great adventure. . .vacation.

Our kids (6,4 &2) will be going on their first plane flight to Disney in a few weeks. I always get motion sick on planes and usually take dramamine. Our pediatrician said that didn't mean our kids would get motion sick - which I understand but I also know what an AWFUL feeling it is and want to prevent it if possible. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to give them something that will make them too sleepy or cranky and I've heard Benadryl and Dramamine could have either effect. :confused:
I'd say give them nothing. Worst case scenario is you have 1 bad flight. If they cannot fly, get something for the return trip. Also I would say not to talk to them too much about how you get sick when you fly, kids are sometimes prone to "getting sick" when they think they should, by that I mean they are very open to suggestions.

I realize that I am late here but I'll add my experience. I give benadryl before we fly because I have super sensitive allergic kids and they need something in their systems when we land or I have runny noses and sneezing for the first few days of a vacation. I also have had the pleasure of the tummy bug at 30,000 feet and I now travel with zofran from my doc just in case. They can puke as much as needed when we arrive at the hotel but in the car and on the plane, the zofran makes it better and gets us where we are going. On a different flight we got a fever bug, so I also carry mortrin, just in case.

We are the same exact way. My kids take daily allergy meds, but for some reason beng on a plane...or made it's the sudden onset of new allergyns....but somehting gets to them every time. They will actually take Benadryl as we're getting on the plane, and then again immediately 4 hours later. Then after that they're usually good.

The DVD players are worth every penny! We have two, one for each. We use them on car rides over an hour and planes. Best thing ever! Make sure the batteries are charged up and you are good to go!

And I know it's a little strange since it comes from a pregnancy site but nausea is nausea LOL This site sells Ginger candies and I'm sure a search could bring up others - http://www.downthelane.com/ginger-candy.html

I get bad motion sickness in cars and planes. Both of my daughters do, too. But we knew that from riding in cars first. So, we assumed it would happen in a plane, too. They are older, so yes, we all took dramamine. No side effects at all. It helped all of us NOT get sick and have a bad experience in Florida. Benedryl makes my daughters sleep hard, I am the opposite, I'm wide awake. No side effects other than that. Everyone is different. I would be prepared with meds but not give them any for the plane if they have not showed signs of motion sickness before in cars or amusment park rides. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter