• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids clubs cooking classes & Mixology

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
A few weeks ago, Scott from DCL blog tweeted that DCL has suspended the cooking classes in the kids clubs, (for lack of documentation or something like that) and someone responded that guests don't really "mix" in mixology, or cook in adult cooking classes now as well for similar reasons. Is that the case? Anyone recently getting off the ships find that to be the case? I just watched an Instagram vid of a blogger who just got off the Dream, and she was muddling a cocktail so I'm confused.

Every single person in my mixology class over NYE got behind the bar and made drinks.

A few weeks ago, Scott from DCL blog tweeted that DCL has suspended the cooking classes in the kids clubs, (for lack of documentation or something like that) and someone responded that guests don't really "mix" in mixology, or cook in adult cooking classes now as well for similar reasons. Is that the case? Anyone recently getting off the ships find that to be the case? I just watched an Instagram vid of a blogger who just got off the Dream, and she was muddling a cocktail so I'm confused.
The Mixology classes are handled differently on the different classes of ships. On the Dream class ships, the class is generally taught by a bartender, and 5 people at a time go behind the bar and the bartender talks them through mixing a drink. Each person makes enough for 5 people. Then everyone in the class gets a drink. The 5 people behind the bar changes with each drink.

On the Magic class ships, the drinks are already prepared (there's no direct access behind the bars without going "behind the scenes") and the bartender shows how each drink is prepared. Everyone still gets a sample of the different drinks.

The Mixology classes are handled differently on the different classes of ships. On the Dream class ships, the class is generally taught by a bartender, and 5 people at a time go behind the bar and the bartender talks them through mixing a drink. Each person makes enough for 5 people. Then everyone in the class gets a drink. The 5 people behind the bar changes with each drink.

On the Magic class ships, the drinks are already prepared (there's no direct access behind the bars without going "behind the scenes") and the bartender shows how each drink is prepared. Everyone still gets a sample of the different drinks.

So on the Magic class ships, it's more like a tasting than a mixing/bartending class type of a deal? Does that apply to private groups as well?

So on the Magic class ships, it's more like a tasting than a mixing/bartending class type of a deal?

On the Wonder in 2016, during a regular / public "mixology" class, they served everyone with pre-made "mini" versions of each cocktail. They also demonstrated how to make each cocktail and took three volunteers from attendees to make a full sized version of each cocktail for themselves.

So, it was more like a tasting, but there was the possibility of volunteering and being selected to make a cocktail and to then keep and drink that cocktail.

When I did Mixology on the Magic they had pre-made the drinks and we did a little at our seats with one drink. When I did it on the Dream we all were able to go behind the bar and make a drink. I found it more fun on the Dream when I was actually able to create a drink

What a bummer. My soon to be 5 year old loves to cook and was super excited about the cooking classes every day.

I did mixology on the magic and we made a mojito to start so we muddled the mint leaves and poured in the ingredients. Then later we were given a couple drinks that were already mixed and poured while we watched the bartender demonstrate. Then we made a layered shot where we poured it ourselves as instructed.

On the Magic class ships, the drinks are already prepared (there's no direct access behind the bars without going "behind the scenes") and the bartender shows how each drink is prepared.

When we did mixology (twice), the basics were provided to you and you did some of the muddling or mixing but not behind the bar, just at your table. And they were definitely not samples - there were five half- to full-sized drinks. Fortunately they also give you the recipes because by drink #5, it was getting a little fuzzy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter