Kidney stones acting up?

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
i had two kidney stones last year and I think it might be happening again but I’m not sure.

Last year, the pain came out of nowhere and sent me to the hospital because I thought my appendix had burst. Turns out it was stones. I was given a shot and an rx for something and told to go home and ride it out. I don’t have to tell you guys how much it hurts, it was a 9.9/10 for me on the pain scale.

Anyway, for the past few days I’ve been having some dull throbbing pain on the same side as my stones last year and I don’t know if that means it’s acting up again because I don’t remember what I felt like last time. I had just had major abdominal surgery so I was on a lot of painkillers and any pain I would have had I would have dismissed as healing from surgery.

I know I can’t do anything if more stones are floating around but I’d like to have a heads up. So, for those of you who have had them more than once, did you notice dull pain in the days leading up to the flare or relapse or whatever the term is or did it hit you out of the blue?

I've had a few kidney stones. Sometimes I've had dull pain before and after in my back where my kidney is, but no dull pain in my side where that God awful pain is as it makes its way down. Now, I did have one stone that, for whatever reason, hurt way less than the others.

I've had a few kidney stones. Sometimes I've had dull pain before and after in my back where my kidney is, but no dull pain in my side where that God awful pain is as it makes its way down. Now, I did have one stone that, for whatever reason, hurt way less than the others.

The pain isn’t in the exact same spot, just general area. It’s just got me on edge because I don’t want to have to go through that again.

Sounds awful, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Because of your recent surgery would it be a good idea to go to the ER (assuming you can't get to your regular Dr on a Friday afternoon?)

I'm a self proclaimed kidney stone expert, lol!!!!
At least of my own stones...

I had my first kidney stone in college. Started noticing that I had the urge to urinate often, but not much success. Then a bad back ache, and as you well know, progressed to horrible!! Thought I was dying as a 20 yr old!

Had a couple more during college, same progression of symptoms.

I had another kidney stone while 7 months pregnant. That was scary! Initially I thought I was in preterm labor. Nope, another stone!

Had another 2 or 3 episodes after that. One was so big I couldn't pass it. Ended up needing it surgically removed and a stent put in while healing.

Been stone free for quite a while now, knock on wood!

None of these times do I recall a dull pain.
Not that it's impossible. Everybody can have a different experience.

Maybe strain your urine for a couple of days to see if you catch anything?

That's happened to me,too.What I do if I feel that is start chugging water and walking on the treadmill.The motion and water help pass the stones.Also drink hot lemon water-fresh squeezed-instead of coffee on a daily basis.That's really helpful.Hope you feel better.

I had my first kidney stone in college. Started noticing that I had the urge to urinate often, but not much success. Then a bad back ache, and as you well know, progressed to horrible!! Thought I was dying as a 20 yr old!

I had another kidney stone while 7 months pregnant. That was scary! Initially I thought I was in preterm labor. Nope, another stone!

Had another 2 or 3 episodes after that. One was so big I couldn't pass it. Ended up needing it surgically removed and a stent put in while healing.

I have been peeing all.the.time. for the past few days.

That’s a good idea on straining..it can’t hurt.

Sounds awful, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Because of your recent surgery would it be a good idea to go to the ER (assuming you can't get to your regular Dr on a Friday afternoon?)

My surgery was last July so I know it isn’t related..not the same area of the body.

I remember when I was younger and living with my parents, my dad wanted me to take him to the ER for an opioid shot to dull the pain. I remember seeing the bill for it, but I think it was passed on to our insurance. It was obviously rather painful. Eventually he had them blasted although I'm not sure if it felt any better to be hit like that with shock waves.

That is almost word for word my experience! College, pregnancy, etc, except I never had to have surgery, thank goodness. Though there were times I would have opted for it!

That's happened to me,too.What I do if I feel that is start chugging water and walking on the treadmill.The motion and water help pass the stones.Also drink hot lemon water-fresh squeezed-instead of coffee on a daily basis.That's really helpful.Hope you feel better.

Yup, lemonade made with real lemons is good too. People I know who have had several feel they can tell when they have one coming on & they all recommend something like this. I’ve had one & I’m not sure if I can tell others are imminent or not, but I jump on the routine whenever I think there’s a chance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will switch to water with lemon.

Is it possible it is a kidney infection instead of a kidney stone? I had my first ever kidney infection in January. I had a lot of abdominal pain and felt generally unwell. The pain was dull but strong. It got worse and worse over a few days, and when I saw my primary doctor, he thought it was appendicitis (it was lower right pain) and sent me right to ER. By then the pain was also in my side and back, but the ER doctor also thought it was appendicitis at first. But the testing revealed it was actually a kidney infection. I did not have a few of the usual other symptoms of a kidney infection, so it took a little extra testing to nail down what it was. It hit me hard, and it took about a month before I felt like myself again.

This may not be your situation at all, but I thought I'd mention it because some of what you said sounded all too familiar.

Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon!

Is it possible it is a kidney infection instead of a kidney stone? I had my first ever kidney infection in January. I had a lot of abdominal pain and felt generally unwell. The pain was dull but strong. It got worse and worse over a few days, and when I saw my primary doctor, he thought it was appendicitis (it was lower right pain) and sent me right to ER. By then the pain was also in my side and back, but the ER doctor also thought it was appendicitis at first. But the testing revealed it was actually a kidney infection. I did not have a few of the usual other symptoms of a kidney infection, so it took a little extra testing to nail down what it was. It hit me hard, and it took about a month before I felt like myself again.

This may not be your situation at all, but I thought I'd mention it because some of what you said sounded all too familiar.

Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon!

That’s a good suggestion and it very well may be true but I doubt it.

I get kidney infections all the time. Like ALL THE TIME. But, by some freak of nature, I don’t get any symptoms. Like none. The only reason I know I get them is because I have to do monthly blood and urine tests and it always comes back that I have some stage of infection. I take cranberry pills every day and if it gets too, too bad my dr gives me some meds but usually they just let it go. No damage is being done and I’m tested enough that if it does get bad it can be ‘treated’.

prepare-yourself-the-kidney-stone-jokes-are-coming.jpg

It just depends. Some I’ve had a dull ache in my side/lower back for a week before the REAL fun began. Others the pain came hard and fast. So it’s possible that you’ve got one comin’ round the mountain, but who can say for sure? I’ve had cramps in my side that I thought might be a stone but turned out to be just cramps. All you can do is drink water like crazy and hope for the best!

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be nothing. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter