Kidney Donation - Advice / Experience?

The Kahler is showing it's age, but there's nothing "wrong" with it per se. I don't know anything about the other two. I'd definitely look for something connected via tunnel or skyway to whichever hospital is involved. You won't want to be going out anymore than you have to!

I mostly just care that the hotel is very clean, in working order, close to mayo, etc. Really appreciate everyone's insight!

Hi everyone - sorry for not responding sooner - was with family all weekend talking about plans for Mayo.

We are now looking at a few hotel options: the DoubleTree - Mayo Clinic Area, the Marriott and the Kahler Grand. Does anyone have thoughts on these? I'll be there for 8 nights, so want somewhere close to the hospital, clean, modern and comfortable.

I'll need to work remotely for a few days while there as well - so some place that has wifi / good signal.

Also - does anyone know if we will have a private room as the donor? Are there strict visiting hours? I'm planning to sit besides his bed all day / as much into the night as possible while he is in the hospital.

Double Tree and the Marriott are fine. The Kahler Towers are about $500/night so if your budget supports that, great. There is the Kahler Inn and Suites that is more tired but still fine. We stay at the Brentwood. It's VERY clean, free parking, have mini-suites available--so a king bed with a 1/2 wall divider that has a fridge, sink and microwave and then a couch and desk on the other side. Free Wi-fi. It's not fancy but it's newly remodeled and spotless. I've stayed there 3 times in the past year and no issues at all. Runs about $115-120/night. It's an elevator ride down to the tunnel. The Kahler is the closest, right across the street. You will pay for parking at all of the other hotels downtown.

I don't know about private rooms, but probably, especially for a surgery patient. You could probably stay in his room if you wanted. They have recliners and such to sleep on--not the best or most comfortable but possible.

I have a friend that gave a kidney about a year ago and one that got a kidney from his brother in law about a month ago. Both said the donor recovery is longer and they have some soreness for a while but are doing great. They are both really glad they were able to do it.

I have a friend that gave a kidney about a year ago and one that got a kidney from his brother in law about a month ago. Both said the donor recovery is longer and they have some soreness for a while but are doing great. They are both really glad they were able to do it.

Thanks for sharing - I'm really proud of my husband for donating but at the same time really frightened for the procedure and his recovery.

Double Tree and the Marriott are fine. The Kahler Towers are about $500/night so if your budget supports that, great. There is the Kahler Inn and Suites that is more tired but still fine. We stay at the Brentwood. It's VERY clean, free parking, have mini-suites available--so a king bed with a 1/2 wall divider that has a fridge, sink and microwave and then a couch and desk on the other side. Free Wi-fi. It's not fancy but it's newly remodeled and spotless. I've stayed there 3 times in the past year and no issues at all. Runs about $115-120/night. It's an elevator ride down to the tunnel. The Kahler is the closest, right across the street. You will pay for parking at all of the other hotels downtown.

I don't know about private rooms, but probably, especially for a surgery patient. You could probably stay in his room if you wanted. They have recliners and such to sleep on--not the best or most comfortable but possible.

Going to look into the Brentwood - thanks! Right now the Doubletree is in the lead.

At Mayo Jacksonville both of us had private rooms with bathrooms. The couch folded out into a twin bed. Family members were encouraged to stay. Only precaution was to make sure no one had the flu or a cold. Family members visited from room to room. First two nights a family member stayed with both of us.

It was helpful to have cheerleaders around to encourage walking. The nurses really appreciated the family members supporting the patient as we lapped the halls.

A robe was helpful during walks to cover what the cool hospital gowns don't. Nothing like flashing other guests!

At Mayo Jacksonville both of us had private rooms with bathrooms. The couch folded out into a twin bed. Family members were encouraged to stay. Only precaution was to make sure no one had the flu or a cold. Family members visited from room to room. First two nights a family member stayed with both of us.

It was helpful to have cheerleaders around to encourage walking. The nurses really appreciated the family members supporting the patient as we lapped the halls.

A robe was helpful during walks to cover what the cool hospital gowns don't. Nothing like flashing other guests!

So, did you not stay close by after you were released from the hospital? Did you make the drive in every day to do the early labs and stay close to Mayo, or did you do the drive twice a day?

DH is on the list at Mayo Jax, and we were told he would be in the hospital for 3-7 days (if all goes well) and would be monitored daily for 2-3 weeks, with early morning (5am) labs at the hospital and an afternoon visit after the labs were processed to change meds and check incisions, etc.

As we live in Middleburg (well, it's right on the edge there of Fleming Island), we were told to just stay close to Mayo, to avoid the 90+ minute drive (one way). St. Augustine isn't that much closer to Mayo, right?

Adding another hotel option to the mix - the Holiday Inn Rochester.

Has anyone stayed there or heard reviews? I heard it was recently renovated. It's also supposed to be close to the Clinic?

Hi,

Good wishes sent to both of you.

I donated about four years ago and and it wasn't a laparoscopic surgery. My surgeon was older and isn't/wasn't with the times and was still doing the older surgery. Therefore my recovery was a bit longer.

But I walked day of right after the surgery.

I felt a bit drained but no huge issues besides a UTI from surgery that I caught and they didn't.

The recipient lost about 20 pounds of water weight almost instantly and all of a sudden his face looked pronounced and not bloated. I still remember staring at him and thinking "Holy crap!". I never imagined that it could be so instant.

Honestly, I don't even think about it all that much as in I forget that I only have one (OT: some people are only born with one or have a faulty one and might not even know it). I had sepsis this year so I had to be more concerned but other than that not in my head.

In fact I needed an ultrasound and I forgot to say something until I saw the technician and her student going over and over the area with the wand with a very strange look on their faces (I'm very fair, I guess the scar was not noticeable to them.)

I'll go back to see if you have any specific questions.

Oh one important issue is that one shouldn't really be using any NSAIDS again (I do when I must) and it was only a nurse that told me, no doctor told me that.

Good Morning,

I am resting at home after receiving a kidney from my brother just last week. Surgery was at Mayo Jacksonville an everything went perfect. We are both in our 50s and planned for this for two years. My brother prepared over the last year by running, playing soccer, and biking. We checked in on Dec 30 and had surgery that morning. He was released on Jan 1, me on Jan 2. Fast!

He had pain for two days because they cut through his ab muscles. They had him up walking the first night. He used med meds only at night by day three. Walked upstairs after being released and spent the next three days touring st Augustine, going to the beach, shopping and visiting friends. He was released fully by Mayo Thursday and has returned home.

He is my hero and gave me the gift of life. Mayo was excellent and we could not have asked for better care. It was scary going in, but truly has been a life changing experience.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Scubamickey

Lovely. :goodvibes All the best to you both.

We are 45 minutes from home to Mayo less we hit the Jax traffic. Yes, 28 days of clinical following surgery. We were able to switch my morning labs to St. Augustine Mayo, but we still go to big Mayo 4 times a week for doctor appointments. Week three we only have to go once.

It has been good to be home and sleep in my own bed. Able to have friends stop in and help with limited chores around house. Also nothing like walking in your own yard.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

ScubaMickey

We recently moved from Rochester (lived there over 25 years). If budget doesn't matter on hotels, I would put in this order - Marriott, DoubleTree...I wouldn't pick the Holiday Inn or Kahler. My parents stayed at the Kahler a few times - small rooms, dated hotel, loud neighbors. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn that is just a couple of blocks from the clinic that is newer.

Is the surgery at Methodist or St. Mary's? If St. Mary's, there are newer hotels at that end of town. It's about a mile from one hospital to the other.

With the weather being what it is, however, being in the subway/skyway system would be a big benefit, which would mean staying downtown.

We are 45 minutes from home to Mayo less we hit the Jax traffic. Yes, 28 days of clinical following surgery. We were able to switch my morning labs to St. Augustine Mayo, but we still go to big Mayo 4 times a week for doctor appointments. Week three we only have to go once.

It has been good to be home and sleep in my own bed. Able to have friends stop in and help with limited chores around house. Also nothing like walking in your own yard.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

ScubaMickey

Thanks! I like hearing how things work for others----makes it easier for me to "see" how it can go.

Good Morning,

I am resting at home after receiving a kidney from my brother just last week. Surgery was at Mayo Jacksonville an everything went perfect. We are both in our 50s and planned for this for two years. My brother prepared over the last year by running, playing soccer, and biking. We checked in on Dec 30 and had surgery that morning. He was released on Jan 1, me on Jan 2. Fast!

He had pain for two days because they cut through his ab muscles. They had him up walking the first night. He used med meds only at night by day three. Walked upstairs after being released and spent the next three days touring st Augustine, going to the beach, shopping and visiting friends. He was released fully by Mayo Thursday and has returned home.

He is my hero and gave me the gift of life. Mayo was excellent and we could not have asked for better care. It was scary going in, but truly has been a life changing experience.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Scubamickey

Glad to hear things are going well! Best wishes for an easy recovery.

Adding another hotel option to the mix - the Holiday Inn Rochester.

Has anyone stayed there or heard reviews? I heard it was recently renovated. It's also supposed to be close to the Clinic?

All of the Name Brand/Chain places in downtown are nice. Is his surgery at Methodist? If he is at St. Mary's, you don't want to stay in "downtown".

Also, it takes a while to walk through the skyway system and that closes at 9:00 so if you are planning on getting back from his room after that, it can be an issue, vs the subway system, which is open all the time. The doors to the clinic lock but there is a security buzzer if you need to get into the clinic and they buzz you in.

How wonderful! Best wishes to you and your recipient !

I received a kidney from an altruistic donor and my husband donated on my behalf in a chain donation Four years ago. 1/6/11

He was uncomfortable for a day or so.... But had no problems. I heard my donor had some nausea but did fine also.

It really is a fantastic gift and a true blessing....

I talked to a friend that also dr's at Mayo. She said they generally stay at the Doubletree when they go but they usually end up driving over to the clinic vs walking through the skyway system since they are usually only there for one day now. They arrive the night before and then check out before appointments and park in the Damon ramp across from the clinic.

My neighbor donated one of her kidneys to her sister 15 yrs. ago and the recovery was definitely longer for my neighbor. I know that she has to get regular checkups (can't remember how often) to check kidney function. Both she and her sister are doing well.

OP, good luck. I hope everything goes well. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter