Kidani, OKW, or WL for large family

mamathompson

DIS Veteran
We are looking into a February trip. It will be us and our 5 kids (2-13) and my MIL. We haven't been in three years and will be celebrating our daughter's birthday. This trip is also their main Christmas present. We have stayed at Riverside and Caribbean Beach in the past. We love Riverside but are looking for something different this time. My main options are a two bedroom Savanna View at Kidani, a two bedroom at OKW or two regular rooms at WL. If we stay WL we would stay for 9 days for a similar price as Kidani 7 days. I feel so torn! We are not worried about being crowded into two regular rooms. So what would you choose?

I think you are saying there are 8 of you. oKW we just left this morning in fact, I am torn it was our first stay there, not at all as nice as some others, very quiet and the rooms were good since in a studio you get 2 queen beds. But the worst bus rides every, the place is huge and can easily run you 45 minutes more in bus time. With that many kids I would not do it, to get drinks or ask a question up at the front building or to get to a pool or even to walk after a long day with that many kids would not work for me. We will be at animal kingdom next week. We have stayed before, I love animal kingdom villas, just not where animal kingdom is, you have a long ride to MK, or to Epcot or HS. If you do any dining out and such it easily eats up two hours to get places, if the kids take a nap again it eats up travel time. Personally that would not be my choice.

WL to me is the best resort on property, we love boulder ridge, and wilderness lodge. I love the short short bus ride to Disney, or graphic a boat and your there, easy to get back for nap time or an afternoon swim. Very centrally located near contemp and all monorail resorts so easy to get other eating options, even over at fort wilderness. We very often find ourselves over at fort wilderness petting zoo and the camp grounds for a night time movie with chip and dale. We love both the new or newer pools at the lodge, very kid friendly. We also like the prices of the food there, usually $1.50 to $2 cheaper for the same thing at the poly.we love the quietness. We love the little places you can find to sit and relax, like when some take a nap but not everyone and you just want some quiet in the room, there are so many little places that dad can take the kids to play a game or to let them sit and read or whatever.

So as you can tell my choice would be wilderness lodge, but that said, it also depends on a few more things. Like do you need a kitchen or are you like m and on vacation you don’t cook. Or the kids it Cheerios with milk and maybe a p and j sandwich for lunch, if you can get away with that I would do WL, if not than you may have no choice but KV at AKL or OKW. Another thing is laundry, at WL you would need to do laundry at the lodge and spend money. At OKW or KV you would have a laundry in your room and it would be free. 8 people could cost a lot in 9 days.

Lastly, feb usually has some good deals at least early in feb. so you may have some other options. Last year in Jan/feb, we were checking out prices for Saratoga springs 2 bedroom because we are now 9 with one being an infant, if every one goes. The price was $495 a night for a two bedroom. Another favorite was BWI villa, which was slightly more. OKW was over $100 more a night last year. At BWI if your kids don’t mind clowns, I love that place, so quiet and calm. Food got boring after a while since not many choices for breakfast.

Anyway, don’t know if I helped, good luck and have fun.

We are looking into a February trip. It will be us and our 5 kids (2-13) and my MIL. We haven't been in three years and will be celebrating our daughter's birthday. This trip is also their main Christmas present. We have stayed at Riverside and Caribbean Beach in the past. We love Riverside but are looking for something different this time. My main options are a two bedroom Savanna View at Kidani, a two bedroom at OKW or two regular rooms at WL. If we stay WL we would stay for 9 days for a similar price as Kidani 7 days. I feel so torn! We are not worried about being crowded into two regular rooms. So what would you choose?

If you aren't worried about being crowded, I would do 2 rooms at WL. A Kidani, 2-bedroom, savannah view would be gorgeous and spacious, but if you can get two extra nights out of WL, I would do that! Plus, WL is equally beautiful and you will have the boat to MK, CR and Ft. W. We love WL!!

The two bedrooms at Kidani are pretty hard to beat, they are gorgeous, are very well laid out and have three bathrooms which is just so nice. I personally don't tend to vacation longer than 7 days anyway, so the extra two days would not entice me, others are different though and prefer longer vacations. The pool slide at Kidani is much better than WL and has a great splash area for your younger kids. I love WL as well, so for me it would be between those two and I don't think that you can go wrong at all. I am not as big of a fan of OKW, so I would not choose to stay there, especially if the alternatives are Kidani and WL.

If your MIL doesn’t mind having a few kids in her room then I would get two rooms at WL. That way everyone gets to sleep in a real bed. And the boat to MK is great.

But if you want a kitchen and washer/dryer and don’t mind having people sleeping on sofa beds then OKW is a good choice. The rooms are huge and the second bedroom has two queen beds instead of a queen and a sofa bed

We have 7 this trip and I have booked OWK. I am worried about the size and the buses, however the savings were enormous, so I took it.

Given your circumstance, and it seems that you are not using a FD discount, I would look at Kidani. WL is gorgeous, but those three bathrooms would give Kidani the edge.

Ooh, that’s a tough one. I’d choose Wilderness Lodge if you could get a two bedroom villa there - the location is the best of the three of them IMO and it’s a lovely resort with great facilities. If your MIL wasn’t coming, it would be much more doable to share two standard rooms, but with your MIL, it would probably be much easier to go for a two bedroom villa and she or you could sleep in the living room and have a bit more privacy from the kids?

Both AKL and OKW are quite far out location wise - would you rather be a boat ride from Disney Springs or close to AK? I’d also look at the theming and see which you prefer. I’d probably go for AKL if it were me, as the Savanna View would be pretty incredible.

**** Wilderness Lodge ******Everyone will Love it.. So much to do if you don’t want to go to Park for a day . Or Take Boat over to Camp site .. Day or night .. Campfire & singalong Fun too.

To add a wrench into our decision the prices have changed from what I originally thought. Now they are the same WL vs Kidani. I am leaning WL thinking about proximity to the parks, but oh how my children would LOVE the Savanna view.
Those of you who have stayed in a villa before, does it ruin you for regular rooms after? If so I should wait it out a few more trips!
I do plan on doing laundry while we are there but not cooking. MIL doesn't mind sharing with the kids. She is always our travel partner and we have crammed into some pretty small spaces over the years.

To add a wrench into our decision the prices have changed from what I originally thought. Now they are the same WL vs Kidani. I am leaning WL thinking about proximity to the parks, but oh how my children would LOVE the Savanna view.
Those of you who have stayed in a villa before, does it ruin you for regular rooms after? If so I should wait it out a few more trips!
I do plan on doing laundry while we are there but not cooking. MIL doesn't mind sharing with the kids. She is always our travel partner and we have crammed into some pretty small spaces over the years.
Even if you don’t plan to “cook” I think there is a huge benefit, both in money and time/convenience to be able to have a breakfast in your villa. Even just something simple like bagels or microwave breakfast sandwiches are much faster and cheaper than going to the food court each morning. I would lean towards AKL or OKW

Even if you don’t plan to “cook” I think there is a huge benefit, both in money and time/convenience to be able to have a breakfast in your villa. Even just something simple like bagels or microwave breakfast sandwiches are much faster and cheaper than going to the food court each morning. I would lean towards AKL or OKW
Stackable washer and dryer in DVC one, two and three bedroom villas. You take fewer clothes and do a load or two while you are out for the day. Load it when you get up, transfer to the dryer as you leave and put second load in washer. Go home with clean clothes, too. OKW has full sized washer and dryers, not stackables.

I loved AKL but the resort itself is quite far from everything ( we did that on purpose that trip so it didn't bother us but it does add to the bus times ). With the ages of your children I'd gather you'll spend at least 2 days at MK - if that's the case, then I would stay at WL. It's a shortish boat ride over to MK and it has some lovely views. It's also a beautiful resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter