Kid Friendly Dining

KaystotheKingdom

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

So very last minute but we are taking our kids to Universal (5 and 7) for the first time. As such, I don’t know what restaurant they might enjoy most experience/theme wise at either City Walk or our hotel (royal pacific). They pretty much eat standard kids fare and have no dietary restrictions.

I missed the boat on reservations at Toothsome for the date/time we would be there so looking for your opinion outside of that option.

Thanks!

I know this isn't quite what you were looking for, but there are very few fancy upscale dinning places at the Universal Resorts. Aside from the Palm at the Hard Rock Hotel almost everything else should be good. In terms of theming, I'm a fan of Mythos. I would check Toothsome to see if there's a last minute cancellation, because sometimes people change their plans.

There’s a counter in Toothsome where you can just get milkshakes and sundaes plus just looking around the sweet shop is fun.
Maybe cowfish would be a fun atmosphere for them with the aquariums !
Minions cafe and the eateries in Suessland
Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks are kinda cool even if they’re not into HP yet
Mythos feels like a giant cave and the food is really good

Hey all!

So very last minute but we are taking our kids to Universal (5 and 7) for the first time. As such, I don’t know what restaurant they might enjoy most experience/theme wise at either City Walk or our hotel (royal pacific). They pretty much eat standard kids fare and have no dietary restrictions.

I missed the boat on reservations at Toothsome for the date/time we would be there so looking for your opinion outside of that option.

Thanks!
The way I understand it is that you get priority seating at any restaurant if you stay at a premium hotel (like the Royal Pacific), and have concierge help you out. We always stay at RPR and we have never used this option. We prefer to just wing it and eat where we feel like it. It was never a problem. I would recommend the Simpson's area for more kid friendly restaurants and fast service, or so I've been told. I have heard there a lot of options there, but we usually go somewhere else. We tried Louies pizza last time and loved it. Great pizza and cute atmosphere.

My kids - 13, 8, 6 - really like Minion Cafe and Cowfish. The HP options are fun, but our experience has been that they are more crowded and thus take longer. We’ve stayed at Royal Pacific twice but never actually eaten there…we would probably eat at the pool, weather permitting, if it worked with our plans to be out at the pool.

Honestly my younger kids like quick service options and snacks better than table service meals.

Maybe a hot take but Cowfish has WAY better milkshakes than Toothsome. The milkshakes at Toothsome are 100% a gimmick and don't taste good at all. The food at Cowfish is good too.

The pool food at Royal Pacific is actually fantastic, I think I had the pork tacos like 4 days in a row!
My kids - 13, 8, 6 - really like Minion Cafe and Cowfish. The HP options are fun, but our experience has been that they are more crowded and thus take longer. We’ve stayed at Royal Pacific twice but never actually eaten there…we would probably eat at the pool, weather permitting, if it worked with our plans to be out at the pool.

Honestly my younger kids like quick service options and snacks better than table service meals.

I forgot about the pool food at RPR. It is great! If you order their chicken nachos, be aware that at least 3 or 4 people could share them. My daughter ordered one for herself and I ordered one too. When they brought them out, I about fainted!!!! They are huge! But they are excellent and worth every calorie:)

Kids' favorites over the years:

Bubba Gump - enjoy the interaction with waiters, quiz, mascot, and theming
The Feast at Three Broomsticks - love the food - ribs, chicken, potatoes, corn (comfort food)
Toothsome love the elaborate desserts and characters (check for last minute cancellations)
Margaritaville - love the theming and volcano
Royal Pacific Pool Bar - love the chicken nachos
The Kitchen at Hardrock - love the food in general and the desserts

If your kids like tater-tots, the Green Eggs n Ham restaurant in the Dr. Seuss area is very good, and I'm sure getting green eggs would be a novelty most kids would find cool.

For fun theming, the Circus restaurant in the Dr. Seuss land and the new minion cafe would be good options to look at as well.

There are also character meals somewhere. I've never done one before, but it might be something you are interested in.

This year we stayed at Aventura and the food court options there were great. The kids would have loved it when they were little as everyone could have split up and gotten what they wanted. Also, loved how small and close together it all was and the lack of long lines. Plus, that it is all cooked fresh. I don't remember liking the CB options as well, but it's been awhile.

Also, be sure to check out fun snacks and desserts around the parks. We've always enjoyed the treats in the gift shop the Trolley Train ride dumps you out in. There are lots of fun themed things to try in the HP areas besides butterbeer. You can get Dole Whip in both parks which most people don't realize, and there are many other character specific treats spread around.

Honestly, we've never really had anything awful at Universal. Overpriced, yes, but bad no. There are tons of great options from hamburgers to pizza to pasta to seafood. There's a large variety of kid friendly foods around. We struggled at Disney with the kids because so many restaurants offered "upscale" type dining, and my picky eaters were not familiar with 99% of the menus. Even kid's menus at Disney had few things they recognized or would touch, but we never had issues at Universal. Kid friendly familiar food everywhere.

- Minion Cafe - the cauliflower or the salmon. The drinks will change their tongues colors they’ll love it. Go at dinner when less busy
- Mythos - ask for outdoor seating at lunchtime. Kids love the ravioli
-Leaky Cauldron and 3 broomsticks same tip about dinner instead of lunch.
- Florian Fortescues. Unmissable. Get the strawberry and peanut butter just like Harry
- Marvel Character Dinner - meet Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine and some X-men. Buffet is pretty decent.

Citywalk, meh. I honestly think the food at Toothsome is below California Pizza Kitchen quality. Been 3X and I think we’re done. Avoid Antojitos like the plague.

At RP - Jake’s, Orchids, and the breakfast buffet at Islands are all great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter