Keys to the Kingdom tour & virtual queues

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
We are looking to do a WDW trip in December and would like to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Probably the earliest (8am I think). If we were able to get a Tron virtual queue and our group was called before the tour was over do they let you use it after the time it was called when the tour was over?

Thanks

I think we'll know more once the ride is open, right now it would only be a guess.

GOTG is the most recent VQ and they are allowing entry anytime after your boarding group is called so that could continue to be the case.

This is an interesting question. If TRON is using a VQ, they may feel the need to update this policy. I could see a lot of people delaying entry with their VQ to ride at night. There hasn't been another VQ attraction that the experience is arguably better at night. I think you'll have to review right before your KttK booking window opens.

This is an interesting question. If TRON is using a VQ, they may feel the need to update this policy. I could see a lot of people delaying entry with their VQ to ride at night. There hasn't been another VQ attraction that the experience is arguably better at night. I think you'll have to review right before your KttK booking window opens.
It will be interesting to see how the ILL goes for this one too. It may be the first one where the evening times sell out before earlier times do.

I don’t know about dark vs daytime ..
I rode it once during cast preview and it was night.
Now that I think about it I kinda wish the first time had been daylight to see what was before me. I probably would have appreciated the immediate dark plunge into the night with more familiarity from a daylight journey.
And I would have waited for front position of cycle run
Why are they calling it a train?

It will be interesting to see how the ILL goes for this one too. It may be the first one where the evening times sell out before earlier times do.
I have been waiting for them to announce stricter enforcement of Cosmic Rewind … Definitely will have to update policy with TRON ,

Last edited:

I have been waiting for them to announce stricter enforcement of Cosmic Rewind … Definitely will have to update policy with TRON .
Or risk announcement attraction is down ?
From TRON
END OF LINE ( game over )
If staying offsite I would probably book an ILL in early-mid afternoon if that was all that was available and wait until nearly the end of the window in hopes that the ride would break down, which (as of now) makes your ILL a redemption pass good for the rest of the day.

Unless and until they actually have a problem with people showing up late there's really no reason to alter the policy. The fact remains that you have ZERO control over when you get with seconds being the difference between 9am and 6pm. Unless it's causing an affirmative disruption, why would they want to have to deal with all those extra people at guest services with legitimate reasons why they couldn't make their assigned time. Just not worth it.

The counter argument about people intentionally showing up late is that people also don't want to worry about the ride going down and missing their chance completely. There's just no evidence from past experiences with lines that you're going to see a glut at the end of the evening or at least any greater a line than you'd see at standby for rides like RotR. Lines always trail off later in the evening compared to mid-day so late arrivers in the aggregate really don't cause any issues right now.

I don't get why people want strict enforcement of something that (a) they have no evidence even causes a problem and (b) for situations where people end up in difficult timing situations due to things completely outside their control. It's enforcement for the sake of enforcement without a reason behind it. They do enforce $ILL because you get to choose your time. If Disney were to find that they were seeing 120 minute waits at closing time due to everyone showing up during the last hour - that would be one thing but I don't see that happening in any meaningful way.

But to OP's question - even IF they were to change the policy - it's 99.99% assured that if you were on the tour when your group is called they'll find a way to accommodate. Similar things have always happened with dining reservations and other things and everyone always says they were accommodated.

Unless and until they actually have a problem with people showing up late there's really no reason to alter the policy. The fact remains that you have ZERO control over when you get with seconds being the difference between 9am and 6pm. Unless it's causing an affirmative disruption, why would they want to have to deal with all those extra people at guest services with legitimate reasons why they couldn't make their assigned time. Just not worth it.

The counter argument about people intentionally showing up late is that people also don't want to worry about the ride going down and missing their chance completely. There's just no evidence from past experiences with lines that you're going to see a glut at the end of the evening or at least any greater a line than you'd see at standby for rides like RotR. Lines always trail off later in the evening compared to mid-day so late arrivers in the aggregate really don't cause any issues right now.

I don't get why people want strict enforcement of something that (a) they have no evidence even causes a problem and (b) for situations where people end up in difficult timing situations due to things completely outside their control. It's enforcement for the sake of enforcement without a reason behind it. They do enforce $ILL because you get to choose your time. If Disney were to find that they were seeing 120 minute waits at closing time due to everyone showing up during the last hour - that would be one thing but I don't see that happening in any meaningful way.

But to OP's question - even IF they were to change the policy - it's 99.99% assured that if you were on the tour when your group is called they'll find a way to accommodate. Similar things have always happened with dining reservations and other things and everyone always says they were accommodated.

The difference is, as has been stated before, the other rides that have used it aren't really different between nighttime and daytime. I personally have no skin in the game as I don't get the appeal of the theme of Tron anyway and have no plans to try, but more people seem to feel that riding it at night with the canopy lights and such is a better experience - so I think it's more likely that at least a good number of people will put off getting in line until those lights are on, which would cause a long line which is what the VQ is trying to prevent.

While yes, given that people have ADRs and tours, I get that it would be challenging to limit it to just that hour return, but I could see them enforcing say 3 hours (if you are on a tour, they could have a way for the guide to indicate (maybe you're given a ticket like what you get with dining packages for concerts) since those take longer than eating) for a return time.

It may not happen immediately - they may want to take data on how long the line really is getting after dark and how many people are delaying their return causing little to no wait during the day but LONG waits at night. And I suspect if they see a lot of that happening they WILL announce and begin enforcing a limit on the time you have to return.

The difference is, as has been stated before, the other rides that have used it aren't really different between nighttime and daytime. I personally have no skin in the game as I don't get the appeal of the theme of Tron anyway and have no plans to try, but more people seem to feel that riding it at night with the canopy lights and such is a better experience - so I think it's more likely that at least a good number of people will put off getting in line until those lights are on, which would cause a long line which is what the VQ is trying to prevent.

While yes, given that people have ADRs and tours, I get that it would be challenging to limit it to just that hour return, but I could see them enforcing say 3 hours (if you are on a tour, they could have a way for the guide to indicate (maybe you're given a ticket like what you get with dining packages for concerts) since those take longer than eating) for a return time.

It may not happen immediately - they may want to take data on how long the line really is getting after dark and how many people are delaying their return causing little to no wait during the day but LONG waits at night. And I suspect if they see a lot of that happening they WILL announce and begin enforcing a limit on the time you have to return.
That's the point. Data. So many people are asking for enforcement in the absence of any data that the flexibility is causing any issues. If it does cause issues in the evening then they may do something. My hunch you won't see any sort of line at closing worse than what you see on other headliners. I would also suspect that Disney also can adjust this by giving out slightly higher numbers of spots in the earlier hours and fewer in the later hours to account for this as well. There are a lot of ways to handle something like this short of telling someone who paid a whole lot of money to take this vacation that they cannot ride.

Disney knows what they're doing here. They know that by creating the slots and giving people the windows, they will get the majority to show up close to their scheduled time but can accommodate those who don't. I think it'll take a fairly sizable issue to make them enforce end times particularly with the inability to have any control over your time. We'll see in couple months.

Well they are limiting the MK Train daily operating hours from 10:00 til 6:00 since it has just returned.
TRON requires more extensive training and also has limited capacity for the DAS pass. Until you have actually experienced it you will understand that some of us might take a little longer to walk behind to board and also might take longer to get off, having to lift your leg up & over without falling….Combine new attraction for cast + guests= slow moving lines.
Plus this attraction is New + located towards front of MK as you enter + exit… both times will attract interest to get the $ILL$ or lots of luck with VQBoarding.
What advantage is it , if everybody waits until nightfall.?

Last edited:
That's the point. Data. So many people are asking for enforcement in the absence of any data that the flexibility is causing any issues. If it does cause issues in the evening then they may do something. My hunch you won't see any sort of line at closing worse than what you see on other headliners. I would also suspect that Disney also can adjust this by giving out slightly higher numbers of spots in the earlier hours and fewer in the later hours to account for this as well. There are a lot of ways to handle something like this short of telling someone who paid a whole lot of money to take this vacation that they cannot ride.

Disney knows what they're doing here. They know that by creating the slots and giving people the windows, they will get the majority to show up close to their scheduled time but can accommodate those who don't. I think it'll take a fairly sizable issue to make them enforce end times particularly with the inability to have any control over your time. We'll see in couple months.

I maintain that they can change what has been the unspoken "policy" (in quotes because I've never seen it officially written down) of returning any time after your group is called and officially limit the return window if they see that there is a longer line at night - obviously when there has not been down time. They just have to put it out that this is the policy and stick by it.

This has happened at Topolino's breakfast where the unwritten thing was get a full-sized entree and a side of another. That was costing them too much and it's gone now.

Just because something is how it's "always been done" doesn't mean it will continue to always be done that way.

I maintain that they can change what has been the unspoken "policy" (in quotes because I've never seen it officially written down) of returning any time after your group is called and officially limit the return window if they see that there is a longer line at night - obviously when there has not been down time. They just have to put it out that this is the policy and stick by it.

This has happened at Topolino's breakfast where the unwritten thing was get a full-sized entree and a side of another. That was costing them too much and it's gone now.

Just because something is how it's "always been done" doesn't mean it will continue to always be done that way.
Once again - your example is them changing something AFTER it became a problem. I think the concern about “everyone”’waiting to go at night is way overblown. If it becomes an issue they will alter. And even if they do - they will continue to make exceptions for things like ADRs and tours like they currently do.

luck of the draw with ADRs & dining/concert tix, had TS dining conflicts pop up way multiple times when Remy & RoTR were the new, hot tickets. Also, with GoTG lol

would ask GS each time what to do and consistently be told the same thing…dining ADRs trump rides.

to save our receipt and just show up at the attraction afterwards. Never had an issue, only had to present it once to a CM.

OP - YMMV, I’d check with GS before your tour starts as to the then policy if you run into a problem.

Looking to do Keys to the Kingdom in August - spending 10 days at Universal. I know I can book 60 days out - do I need to purchase our park ticket first? Then……book the tour??? We are only doing one day at WDW.
Thanks
Brenda

Looking to do Keys to the Kingdom in August - spending 10 days at Universal. I know I can book 60 days out - do I need to purchase our park ticket first? Then……book the tour??? We are only doing one day at WDW.
Thanks
Brenda
You’ll need a ticket to get into the park for the tour but I don’t believe you have to buy it in order to reserve the tour.

We are looking to do a WDW trip in December and would like to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Probably the earliest (8am I think). If we were able to get a Tron virtual queue and our group was called before the tour was over do they let you use it after the time it was called when the tour was over?

Thanks
Sharing a different angle on your question. My party of 4 (2 adults, 2 recent high school grads) took the KTTK tour in August 2022 and our (rude, mean, and arrogant) Tour Guide was The Supreme Enforcer of the No Phone Policy. The anti-phone policy on the tour was nearly abusive. You are not allowed to take pictures of anything backstage. Which I was prepared for - very fair, especially for the backside of Pirates or the Utilidors.

However, "backstage" is defined as: every single thing you encounter during the tour while with your tour guide. So, special windows being pointed out on Main Street at 8:15am while non-tour guests were also on Main Street with you? That was considered backstage and we were not allowed to take photos. Worse: trying to stack Genie + reservations? Also not allowed, especially if you were truly in a backstage location.

Given today's reliance on Smart Phones in order to tour Disney, we were appalled by the constant scolding by our Tour Guide. Not just my family or me, but nearly every family had a teen who wanted to connect with the world or an adult who wanted to get their money's worth out of Genie +. We did not have to deal with a 1:00pm VQ attempt, but there is no way our sassy Tour Guide would have allowed it. Especially as that is very likely to be when you are in the grand finale portion of the tour, the Utilidors.

In summary: I would not rely on being allowed to use your phone during KTTK. Perhaps Disney has relaxed their anti-phone policy for this tour, and goodness knows I registered my concern with how they pretty much forced me to pay for Genie + then disallowed me to use the services during a 4-hour tour when I could have booked 2 more attractions; but if they haven't, I would pretty much guarantee you that you will not be scoring a VQ while on tour, as those tour guides appear to gain Disney bonus points for admonishing guests to put their phones away.

As one more aside: I have done over 10 different tours at WDW and loved all of them except KTTK. The only aspect that added any element of surprise was the Utilidor. And while that satisfied a long-awaited bucket-list item for my family, there was not one single other moment that was a surprise or a new insight, and the Tour Guide made it miserable. Perhaps 10 years ago before every mystery of Disney had its own website or television streaming special, this tour was filled with Magic, but now it's just a group of Disney fans nodding when they hear an anecdote they already knew and beating the Tour Guide to the punchline about a Disney secret, while waiting for a chance to finally, finally see the Utilidors.

YMMV and perhaps you'll love it. We felt overcharged for an opportunity to hear a compilation of facts we already knew, while banned from using our phone to continue making plans for later in the day.

Sharing a different angle on your question. My party of 4 (2 adults, 2 recent high school grads) took the KTTK tour in August 2022 and our (rude, mean, and arrogant) Tour Guide was The Supreme Enforcer of the No Phone Policy. The anti-phone policy on the tour was nearly abusive. You are not allowed to take pictures of anything backstage. Which I was prepared for - very fair, especially for the backside of Pirates or the Utilidors.

However, "backstage" is defined as: every single thing you encounter during the tour while with your tour guide. So, special windows being pointed out on Main Street at 8:15am while non-tour guests were also on Main Street with you? That was considered backstage and we were not allowed to take photos. Worse: trying to stack Genie + reservations? Also not allowed, especially if you were truly in a backstage location.

Given today's reliance on Smart Phones in order to tour Disney, we were appalled by the constant scolding by our Tour Guide. Not just my family or me, but nearly every family had a teen who wanted to connect with the world or an adult who wanted to get their money's worth out of Genie +. We did not have to deal with a 1:00pm VQ attempt, but there is no way our sassy Tour Guide would have allowed it. Especially as that is very likely to be when you are in the grand finale portion of the tour, the Utilidors.

In summary: I would not rely on being allowed to use your phone during KTTK. Perhaps Disney has relaxed their anti-phone policy for this tour, and goodness knows I registered my concern with how they pretty much forced me to pay for Genie + then disallowed me to use the services during a 4-hour tour when I could have booked 2 more attractions; but if they haven't, I would pretty much guarantee you that you will not be scoring a VQ while on tour, as those tour guides appear to gain Disney bonus points for admonishing guests to put their phones away.

As one more aside: I have done over 10 different tours at WDW and loved all of them except KTTK. The only aspect that added any element of surprise was the Utilidor. And while that satisfied a long-awaited bucket-list item for my family, there was not one single other moment that was a surprise or a new insight, and the Tour Guide made it miserable. Perhaps 10 years ago before every mystery of Disney had its own website or television streaming special, this tour was filled with Magic, but now it's just a group of Disney fans nodding when they hear an anecdote they already knew and beating the Tour Guide to the punchline about a Disney secret, while waiting for a chance to finally, finally see the Utilidors.

YMMV and perhaps you'll love it. We felt overcharged for an opportunity to hear a compilation of facts we already knew, while banned from using our phone to continue making plans for later in the day.
Seems like you had a very strict tour guide. Our tour guide (shoutout Andy you were awesome) was super relaxed about it on stage and let us take pictures and even stopped the tour for the 1pm TRON VQ drop. Now backstage no phones were allowed to be visible but that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter