Keys to the Kingdom ID/age question

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
Hi. My daughter wants to go to Disney for her 16th birthday. I want to do something special & thought she would love the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We would probably go in August so she wouldn’t miss school. She wouldn’t turn 16 for another few weeks so I imagine she couldn’t go then? Also it says you need a photo ID. Even when she turns 16 she would only have her school ID which doesn’t have her birthday. Would we have to wait until she turned 17 & got her drivers license? She doesn’t have a passport.

A photo ID that can prove age is required. They may not ask for it, but if they do (and yes, they do often ask) and she doesn't have one that shows that she's 16, she can't go on the tour.

Save the tour for next time.

Last edited:
Hi. My daughter wants to go to Disney for her 16th birthday. I want to do something special & thought she would love the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We would probably go in August so she wouldn’t miss school. She wouldn’t turn 16 for another few weeks so I imagine she couldn’t go then? Also it says you need a photo ID. Even when she turns 16 she would only have her school ID which doesn’t have her birthday. Would we have to wait until she turned 17 & got her drivers license? She doesn’t have a passport.
Does your municipality not have learner's permits? Even of you don't want her driving yet maybe get one for the ID?

I think the tour idea is a great B-Day present! Just - if you are going before her 16th birthday - pick one that she meets the age restriction for. There are other great choices.

I took my daughter on the tour a month after she turned sixteen. They did stress at booking, she must be 16. I know MDE has my girls birthdays on there — way of keeping track of “Disney” adults. We did have passports for the tour, but I don’t remember showing them the day of. They definitely had note of her age and they made a big deal of her being the youngest there (in a good way ;))

The year prior, I had taken her and my younger DD on the Walt’s Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour. I think the age requirement on that one is 14 (?). It was a shorter tour and less expensive. It didn’t overlap with the keys tour and if your daughter loves Walt, you get much more trivia with this one. No utilidors though but we did go behind the scenes on Haunted Mansion. I highly recommend this one if you are concerned at all about the proof of age requirement. :thumbsup2

Edit: The age requirement on that tour is 12.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/events-tours/magic-kingdom/marceline-to-magic-kingdom/

Been a few years but, I got there just before my wife (she HAD to shop) and I asked the CM to card her saying she did not look old enough (she was in her 40's then). It was a hoot.

In my area learner’s permits don’t have photos.
Dang that is too bad, they have them here and you can also get government issued IDs that do nothing but verify ID and age, maybe your state issues those?

Just as an aside, NJ makes you wait until you’re 17 for a license? Wow. I know some parents of busy kids who would lose their minds with that delay.

NJ will issue a non-driver ID that looks just like a license, has a picture, etc. My friends who are legally blind (and obviously not able to drive) have had them since high school. You have to pay for it, but then you'd guarantee that she'd have the proper ID.

We just took this tour on July 6. My son turned 16 in June. We were also there for his 16th birthday trip. We were told when booking that id for him would be needed. He was asked for id when we checked in for the tour. We do have a passport for him, but we are also in a state (PA) where the learner's permit does not have a photo. I wondered if they would accept a school id with the photo and the learner's permit both obviously showing the same name.

Since your daughter will not be 16 when you are there, I agree with a previous poster and suggest you try the Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour. We have also done this one and it is a really good tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter