Key West itinerary?

JecHec

Mouseketeer
Hi Friends,
My family and usually go to the Bahamas on our 3 day cruises. But just saw that Key West can be a 3 day also. Has anyone gone on this particular one? Your thoughts?

I would MUCH prefer Key West than Nassau! I have only been to Key West when the Magic was still doing the 7-night Caribbean cruises out of Port Canaveral, but we loved that port. I didn't think the Dream class ships could go to Key West. What ship are you looking at? That may matter more to you than the port.

If you haven't been to Key West it's a neat area and sure beats having to fly in or make the drive. Lots of water sports and activities. You could visit Robert the Doll, visit El siboney for lunch, take the hop on hop off, the treasure museum, aquarium, or go visit the beach near the airport. Plenty of bars and conch fritters to go around. I would suspect that you would still go to Castaway on the itinerary as well.

Key West is easy to walk around, see the shops and bars, go to historic places like Hemmingway's house, take a photo at the southernmost point on the continental US, and not be harassed by shop vendors or street hustlers. Much nicer than Nassau. Also, see the truely free-range chickens and 6-toe cats throughout the city.

I also really like Key West. It is easy to get around and when we were there with the kids, we visited the cute aquarium that was a few minutes away from the ship.

I really miss the Key West stop. We have only done it once. I can't wait to go back with or without a cruise.

Needless to say, would much rather have a Key West stop than Nassau (I know they can't though).

I really miss the Key West stop. We have only done it once. I can't wait to go back with or without a cruise.

Needless to say, would much rather have a Key West stop than Nassau (I know they can't though).

Actually the Magic 4-night I went on from Miami a couple of years ago stopped at Castaway and Key West and had a sea day. So it can be done.

Actually the Magic 4-night I went on from Miami a couple of years ago stopped at Castaway and Key West and had a sea day. So it can be done.

Thank you. :)

I will only do a 4 night out of Cape Canaveral

We very much enjoy KW, and my kids refuse to get off the boat when we dock at Nassau now. Feel safer, and lots to see. Easy walking, and we enjoyed the Butterfly place. Not a bad walk. The Island is not that big. Otherwise, take a boat to snorkel around. When my Dd and I stayed in KW for 11 days, my DD still talks about our catamaran trip. We saw dolphins feeding in 4 feet of water. Amazing. Started with a sea kayak through the mangroves.

When my DS and I had it as a port stop on the Magic, and we walked all the way down to the buoy for pictures, stopped at the Butterfly place I had taken my DD to, and walked back to the ship. Had to stop at Hogs Breath bar for a T shirt, though. It did help that 11 day trip was 2 years before my port stop there. I remembered much. Oh and both times, yep, had to eat a slice of key lime pie.

Hope this helps.

Given that Key West passed a "no ships over 1500 passengers" (or something like that) thing in their last election, it will be interesting to see if it remains on the itineraries it is currently on. Those sailings that were already for sale prior to the election I can understand no change, but I'm a bit confused why the cruise industry (not just Disney) is selling new itineraries that include it.

Given that Key West passed a "no ships over 1500 passengers" (or something like that) thing in their last election, it will be interesting to see if it remains on the itineraries it is currently on. Those sailings that were already for sale prior to the election I can understand no change, but I'm a bit confused why the cruise industry (not just Disney) is selling new itineraries that include it.
The Florida Legislature, which just went into session, is considering bills to override the vote. The cruise companies are probably waiting for the outcome of that.

The Florida Legislature, which just went into session, is considering bills to override the vote. The cruise companies are probably waiting for the outcome of that.

Gotcha.

...and the legislature is probably waiting to see how much the contributions to their re-election campaigns. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter