• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Key to the world card vs magic band?

StarTunnelVibes

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I am staying at the Swan in March 2024. I have not stayed at a non-Disney hotel in a while. When I check in, do I receive key to the world cards? And will these cards be used for everything (park entry, genie+)?

I have always had magic bands and am pretty used to them. I understand that I can purchase magic bands. However, is there any disadvantage to the key to the world cards?

You will not receive a KTTW card. You will receive a Swan room key card. It will be used for accessing your room and the hotel facilities and charging at Swan, Dolphin and Swan Reserve. It will not get you into the parks, onto rides or allow charging within the parks as it is not operated by Disney.

Here is a link to the Swolphin thread for all q’s you might have Swolphin related.

@gottalovepluto is correct that your Swan room key isn't a KTTW card.

That said, you can look at your MDE and see what old cards/bands are active and use those in lieu of buying a new one for park entry, G+, etc.

The disadvantage to using cards over bands is that automatic ride photos don't populate to your account (although Bluetooth on your phone is supposed to fix that) and the general hassle of having to pull out a card for things. I always keep a set of backup cards in my park bag and they have come in handy when a MB is forgotten/lost. They do everything the MB does, minus being on your wrist and pulling ride photos automatically.

So if I was to purchase new magic bands before the trip… can I assign them to each guest even though the park tickets aren’t linked until I check in?

The only thing that you would be able to use the MagicBand for would be to enter the parks. It only takes a few seconds to enter a park, so I question whether it is worth it to bother with MagicBands. It would be a lot cheaper to use a key card. :) Old MagicBands work, too. I used a MagicBand earlier this month that I bought in 2018 and it worked fine, even for ride photos.

The only thing that you would be able to use the MagicBand for would be to enter the parks. It only takes a few seconds to enter a park, so I question whether it is worth it to bother with MagicBands. It would be a lot cheaper to use a key card. :) Old MagicBands work, too. I used a MagicBand earlier this month that I bought in 2018 and it worked fine, even for ride photos.
Well, if you're staying at the Swan: in addition to using your MagicBand to enter the parks, you could use the MagicBand to enter the Genie+ line. And for Photopass pictures. Some people find it easier to have the MagicBand on their wrist rather than digging the card out for those things.

Other people don't think those things would be worth paying to buy a MagicBand (assuming they don't already have one from a prior trip).

And some people just don't like having a MagicBand on their wrist.

I think we will probably just go with the physical ticket cards this trip. I have old magic bands, but my 2 family members have theirs somewhere at home but no idea where they could be :confused3

During check in at the swan, do I receive an actual “key to the word card” that will have the park tickets/genie+/photopass on it? Or will I need to go to guest relations at a park to get a physical ticket card after I check in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter