KEURIG please

mrsboz

DIS Veteran
My DH just told me yesterday that he would like a Keurig machine for Christmas. I know nothing about them since I don't even drink coffee. Are there different sizes or are they all the same? Does anyone know of any sales on these? I'm not even sure of the price range. Thank you.

We got ours at Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% off coupon. I just did a quick search online at BB&B and looks they range from $60 bucks on up. The knock off brands are the cheaper ones (Single cup coffee). I bought the lowest grade keurig machine for 100 bucks. Maybe try Ebay or Craigslist if you want a used one. The K cups are what is going to cost you the money in the long run.

Hi there!

There are many different models of these, with the most basic one being "you fill your coffee cup with water, dump the water in the top of the machine, put in a pod, press start, the water from the top comes out the bottom as coffee." This is the most basic and lowest cost model. I've seen them around $80, but I haven't shopped for them in a while.

Then there are all the models where there is a water reservoir, in differing sizes. These are more for an office or for a home where a lot of coffee is drunk. The downside to this model is you're supposed to leave it plugged in, which is an energy vampire/phantom load, not to mention that if you don't use it enough, the water will get old inside.

My husband has one of the reservoir ones, because "it's cool"... These go from $99 (on good sale) up to $200+ (for the fancy schmancy office-sized ones that spit out the pods on their own and collect them in an internal garbage bin...)

You may be able to get a better price by going through the Black Friday ads and also considering Bed, Bath, and Beyond (read the fine print, they exclude a ALOT of things from their coupon deals.)

Once you have the derned thing, there is the question of the pods. They are price-y, but less so than buying cup after cup of Starbucks (buying in bulk you can get them for $.50-$.75 a pod). Any model you buy will come with a small sample of different pods. The tea and cocoa ones make me laugh, because I can get teabags and cocoa mix wayyy cheaper than $.50 per serving.... There is a K-cup swap thread here on the DIS, I think, where you might be able to trade ones you don't want. Or if you're sure you're getting one for DH for Christmas, you can suggest to relatives that they get him pods to go with it (and/or mention that you'll take their sunday coupons for k-cups if they don't want them)... You *DON'T* need the fancy carousel that displays all your pods... that's more of an office-coffee-room thing. Most families only keep a few varieties anyway, so save your counter space and just keep em in the box in the pantry.

At some point, you'll consider buying the "My K-cup" refillable filter... I've only met one person who didn't HATE theirs and throw it away... he said the secret was you have to grind the coffee REALLY fine to get it to work, but that he loves his. FWIW...

So, good luck in your adventure... remember in the end it IS cheaper than going out for coffee, and MAY be less wasteful than making a pot or half-pot every morning and tossing most of it... remembering that will make it hurt a little less to pay so much for a derned COFFEE POT!!!:rotfl:

thanks so much for all your help. I think I am just going to get the single server one as he only drinks coffee at home on weekends. He usually drinks at work the rest of the time. The kids will probably love the hot chocolate though.

thanks so much for all your help. I think I am just going to get the single server one as he only drinks coffee at home on weekends. He usually drinks at work the rest of the time. The kids will probably love the hot chocolate though.

It makes hot chocolate too??! :P

Hi there!

There are many different models of these, with the most basic one being "you fill your coffee cup with water, dump the water in the top of the machine, put in a pod, press start, the water from the top comes out the bottom as coffee." This is the most basic and lowest cost model. I've seen them around $80, but I haven't shopped for them in a while.

Then there are all the models where there is a water reservoir, in differing sizes. These are more for an office or for a home where a lot of coffee is drunk. The downside to this model is you're supposed to leave it plugged in, which is an energy vampire/phantom load, not to mention that if you don't use it enough, the water will get old inside.

My husband has one of the reservoir ones, because "it's cool"... These go from $99 (on good sale) up to $200+ (for the fancy schmancy office-sized ones that spit out the pods on their own and collect them in an internal garbage bin...)

You may be able to get a better price by going through the Black Friday ads and also considering Bed, Bath, and Beyond (read the fine print, they exclude a ALOT of things from their coupon deals.)

Once you have the derned thing, there is the question of the pods. They are price-y, but less so than buying cup after cup of Starbucks (buying in bulk you can get them for $.50-$.75 a pod). Any model you buy will come with a small sample of different pods. The tea and cocoa ones make me laugh, because I can get teabags and cocoa mix wayyy cheaper than. A$.50 per serving.... There is a K-cup swap thread here on the DIS, I think, where you might be able to trade ones you don't want. Or if you're sure you're getting one for DH for Christmas, you can suggest to relatives that they get him pods to go with it (and/or mention that you'll take their sunday coupons for k-cups if they don't want them)... You *DON'T* need the fancy carousel that displays all your pods... that's more of an office-coffee-room thing. Most families only keep a few varieties anyway, so save your counter space and just keep em in the box in the pantry.

At some point, you'll consider buying the "My K-cup" refillable filter... I've only met one person who didn't HATE theirs and throw it away... he said the secret was you have to grind the coffee REALLY fine to get it to work, but that he loves his. FWIW...

So, good luck in your adventure... remember in the end it IS cheaper than going out for coffee, and MAY be less wasteful than making a pot or half-pot every morning and tossing most of it... remembering that will make it hurt a little less to pay so much for a derned COFFEE POT!!!:rotfl:

Yes, my k-cup is worthless. Our model came with it and we immediately listed it on Ebay! An alternative that actually works is the EcoBrew. It looks like a plastic k-cup with a flip top lid. It fits perfectly in the machine without removing any parts and works every time. You can find them on Amazon, but they sell them at our local grocery store and I saw one at TJ Maxx last week. I bought ours on sale at the grocery store for $9. Highly reccommend.:thumbsup2

dummies.jpg

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2::lmao:

Dh and I arent real big coffee drinkers. I will get a starbucks frappachino once in awhile. Dh will get one rarely. In the winter I do send dh to go buy us a hot flavoed coffee (french vanilla) at the corner store (7-11 or circkle K).

I guess dh Will buy one in the morning before work if its super cold( he had to be at work at 7am)

Well we've been eyeing the Keurig but it was way to expensive. I happen to find one on clearancce @ wal-mart for $65. It's one of the expensive ones Plantinum B70. Just found out its the updated version not sure exactly what that means special edition???:confused3 I also bought the storage thats a drawer and you sit the keurig on top of it(i hate clutter). Dh didnt like it at 1st but once we set it on top it looks good and not messy or cluttered all blends in as one

anyways we got the 12 variety pack it came with. Then we went to kohls and used out 30% and my giftcard to buy a box of tea, hazelnut, doughnut shop and buttertoffee paid $29.32 . At first i though this might be an expensive toy-lol! But with the 30% i was ok with it. Then we went to bath and beyound and bought macadamin nut and cafe caramel with a $5 off coupon.

My point is dh made a cup this morning and so did I. We are usuing it more than I thought we would. In the lastweek I've had 4 cups(one per day) of coffee and dh has had 2-lol! Dh is a big flavored tea drinker so hot day he will drink iced teas. I'm glad we ended up getting the big one with the reserve water.

Black friday you will find good deals and if you can get a larger one cheap go for it.

btw- for registering our keurig we got a coupon code for 2 boxes of coffe if we buy two:cool1: I think we are done buying coffee cause we are set with a total of 11 boxes-lol! I will start swaping kcups with family-lol!

I second the Eco brew refillable cups! I drink several cups a day so I use the regular k cups at work and the Eco brew at home.

I have found the hot chocolate and tea k cups to be a waste. It's cheaper and taste better to use hot chocolate packets and my loose tea or tea bags and just use the unit without a pod for the hot water.

They are all single serve. We use ours a lot more than I thought we would. Great Sweet Tea! DH now drinks coffee (gussied up coffee) I love trying the different kinds. I have the signature and it makes 3 strengths...definately get one that does that (or do they all??). I get two large out of Kcup. I also have the refillable K-cup and love it, never had a problem with it. Sam's Club have the Keurig with a K-cup, filter and 36 coffees for $129.00, they have been giving out samples of coffee for the last several wks.

what stores carry the ekobrew???
-wal-mart
-target
-kohls
----I didnt see any at Bed bath and Beyond

I really want to get one I have bag of Ghirardelli hazelnut coffee.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter