Keto at Disney?

I haven't gotten the keto flu yet, how long normally does it take to get it and how long to get over it and can you tell me what to look for?

it started the 3rd day on keto, I felt horrible. Terrible stomach pains, on and off headaches (I don't normally get headaches, so this was very uncomfortable) and constipation. I normally eat tons of carbs so I understand why my body reacted the way it did. I also carb loaded the night before starting keto. Full on keto flu lasted about 2 days, after that it was on and off. I added a lot of salt and water to my diet and that helped tons! I also started taking collagen peptide, MCT oil and calming magnesium.

Just checked into Yacht Club. Thought I’d circle back. The new marketplace has Caesar salad with chicken or shrimp. I’m currently munching on a cheese plate for $6.99. It does have dried cranberries and apricot, but you can eat around It. Nice assortment of cheeses and walnuts. For sure keto.

Hey Farah! :flower3: Following your thread. I eat mostly keto (really am eating closer to "The Diet Cure" as I have added back in berries and yogurt) at home but usually cut loose on vacation. Interested to read everyone's tips.

Hey Melinda! :wave2: I believe yogurt and berries are ok on Keto as long as it's in moderation. I am strict with my macros but I can see myself doing "lazy keto" at Disney. getting ready for the wedding?

There's low carb and then there's keto. You are only doing a keto diet if your body is in ketosis- there are signs but typically the only way to really know is the test strips. You can be in ketosis for just a few weeks and start eating carbs again and get the keto flu. Essentially you feel like crap, your stomach hurts, your head hurts and you feel like you got hit by a truck. It's not fun. I haven't had this happen but I've heard of people getting ill and throwing up. It really just varies from person to person. But if you are eating low carb, by definition that is not ketosis. There's a big difference. I did keto years ago and in the end my conclusion is that it works but it's not for me. I am not the type of person to completely right off an entire food group. Just gotta do what works for you.

I am obsessed with those test strips! I don't find them very accurate though. One day it said I wasn't in Ketosis, when I had been for weeks. The next day I suddenly was back in ketosis? I just take it with a grain of salt.

Yogurt and berries in limited quantities are fine on keto as long as the yogurt is plain full fat greek yogurt.

Anyhow I am planning on doing mostly keto for my trip. I am planning on skipping qs and doing more TS for lunch and Signature for dinner as I think I will just have healthier keto choices. I also think that it will be easier to get my meals adapted to meet my needs.

I am not going to count macros though and I am planning a few treats!

I plan on doing the same thing! Not counting but eating like I normally would.

Just checked into Yacht Club. Thought I’d circle back. The new marketplace has Caesar salad with chicken or shrimp. I’m currently munching on a cheese plate for $6.99. It does have dried cranberries and apricot, but you can eat around It. Nice assortment of cheeses and walnuts. For sure keto.

Thank you! sound like a great and cheap option!

Hey Melinda! :wave2: I believe yogurt and berries are ok on Keto as long as it's in moderation. I am strict with my macros but I can see myself doing "lazy keto" at Disney. getting ready for the wedding?

Yes ma'am! Have been doing the keto thing on and off since August (really only off on vacation and during the holidays) trying to slim down prior to the wedding. I was dying without fruit and hate eating eggs too early in the morning so have embraced a few more carbs since I started working out more. Definitely doing lazy keto most of the time now that I know what I can have and stay in ketosis. I guess because I have been working out I have only lost about 15 pounds but several clothes sizes and am finally feeling healthy and strong. I applaud you getting organized to stay on plan at Disney! 7 days until my Disney bachelorette. I am planning to cheat but it's just a long weekend so I will be right back at it when I get home.

Yes ma'am! Have been doing the keto thing on and off since August (really only off on vacation and during the holidays) trying to slim down prior to the wedding. I was dying without fruit and hate eating eggs too early in the morning so have embraced a few more carbs since I started working out more. Definitely doing lazy keto most of the time now that I know what I can have and stay in ketosis. I guess because I have been working out I have only lost about 15 pounds but several clothes sizes and am finally feeling healthy and strong. I applaud you getting organized to stay on plan at Disney! 7 days until my Disney bachelorette. I am planning to cheat but it's just a long weekend so I will be right back at it when I get home.

WOW! that's awesome, way to go! I hope i get the same results, dropping a couple of sizes would be my ultimate goal. you only get one Disney bachelorette, I would defiantly cheat too! My trip is also a long weekend which is why i'm not too worried. Hope you have a great time!

I am obsessed with those test strips! I don't find them very accurate though. One day it said I wasn't in Ketosis, when I had been for weeks. The next day I suddenly was back in ketosis? I just take it with a grain of salt.

Do you use the blood testing strips or the urine strips? I find the blood testing to be extremely consistent. There is a "newish" breath tester from Ketonix. It actually looks promising. Initial price is high, but over time would end up being a lot cheaper than the blood testing strips.

thedietdoctor.com is a great site that has a lot of good visuals on the types of foods you can eat on low carb and keto. It might help you with some of your choices.

Do you use the blood testing strips or the urine strips? I find the blood testing to be extremely consistent. There is a "newish" breath tester from Ketonix. It actually looks promising. Initial price is high, but over time would end up being a lot cheaper than the blood testing strips.

thedietdoctor.com is a great site that has a lot of good visuals on the types of foods you can eat on low carb and keto. It might help you with some of your choices.

urine strips. I would like to use other methods but I can't justify spending $150+ on a machine :guilty:

Well all I can say for sure is 2 years ago I had a health scare and my daughter told me to get healthier because if I died she would have to live with her mother and that was not going to work for her. I started off very small in walking 1000 steps a day. When I started I was a 54 waist now I am a 40 waist and only 30 pounds to go to get back to my Marine Corps weight. As I joke I have gone thru 3 pairs of walking shoes and 2 ipods.
I had a health scare back in my late 20's whilst eating my then normal breakfast of a microwaved Kaiser roll slathered in butter and then filled with whipped cream straight from the can. It was eaten with a cup of half coffee half milk with a drop of vanilla extract plus 3 sugars, nuked and then filled to the rim with more whipped cream. Had an uncontrollable case of the shakes (doctors now think it was a diabetic warning which runs on both sides of my family), almost passed out and then began changing how I ate. My life diet is still a work in progress as I throw to the wayside more and more commonly available comestibles that are probably not that good for me or anyone else, LOL. That doesn't mean I'm a health food fanatic just that I've found that the generations that came before me were right: moderation in all things is the answer.
Keep up your good work!

I got a dole whip swirl, which I assume is the same size as a full out dole whip, but it looked way bigger than 4oz. 4 fluid oz is 1/2 a cup and it was way bigger... it was also way heavier than 4oz by weight. Maybe the cup size is 4oz but when they swirl it up high it's at least twice the volume of the cup, if not more.

found from the web. MAYBE that cup is 4oz filled to the brim but it's somewhere between 2-3 times that with the swirl on top. at 250/4oz you are probably closer estimating 800 than 250!

bb574893.jpg

My Dole whips always have a huge hole in the center. It's not a solid cup worth.

Regardless, Dole whip is actually only 90 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Disney's serving size comes in around 250 calories because it is more than half a cup

Such good advice here. I am planning on staying low carb on my Disney trip, but may not be strict keto while there. I do not plan on going crazy, but if I have something, it will only be a bite. I also plan on having macadamia nuts on hand for snacks, so I don't get hungry and lose my mind around all those wonderful treats. Sweets were always my downfall and I'm going to be very careful with that, because I don't want to undermine my 56 pound loss. I hope it will be more like 70 by the time I go, so even more to "lose" if I cave. Good luck on your trip!

So glad i found this thread!! We are trying very hard (most days!) to stick to a Paleo diet, so I really enjoyed reading everyone's tips. I'm wondering if most QS places, like Cosmic Rays, are able to do a lettuce wrapped burger, or if i just have to get it without the bun?? Hoping I can sub the cucumbers or something for the fries (but I will definitely steal a few from my kids, especially if they have the cheese sauce)!!!

I don't want to undermine my 56 pound loss. I hope it will be more like 70 by the time I go, so even more to "lose" if I cave.

Wow! Congrats on your weight loss!

So glad i found this thread!! We are trying very hard (most days!) to stick to a Paleo diet, so I really enjoyed reading everyone's tips. I'm wondering if most QS places, like Cosmic Rays, are able to do a lettuce wrapped burger, or if i just have to get it without the bun?? Hoping I can sub the cucumbers or something for the fries (but I will definitely steal a few from my kids, especially if they have the cheese sauce)!!!

I don't think you will have a problem, just tell them no bun.

Just wanted to add good luck Texans_loyal on your effort to lost and maintain the weight loss. What keeps me going is the realization that I am about 160 pounds lighter than my last trip.

Just wanted to add good luck Texans_loyal on your effort to lost and maintain the weight loss. What keeps me going is the realization that I am about 160 pounds lighter than my last trip.

Thank you and congrats on your weight loss! Very inspirational!

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I'm doing 'clean' food, no dairy, good fats. I guess it's modified kept/atkins/paleo. I do fruit and a boatload of wonderful cooked veggies with ghee and raw veggies with pink Himalayan salt.

Jumpin' Jehosphat how do I resist the MK popcorn? I'm good with our dining selections and I don't like sweets but that darned popcorn is going to break me.

Any ideas?

Anybody doing the NutriMost plan? Urshan from Tampa?

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I'm doing 'clean' food, no dairy, good fats. I guess it's modified kept/atkins/paleo. I do fruit and a boatload of wonderful cooked veggies with ghee and raw veggies with pink Himalayan salt.

Jumpin' Jehosphat how do I resist the MK popcorn? I'm good with our dining selections and I don't like sweets but that darned popcorn is going to break me.

Any ideas?

Anybody doing the NutriMost plan? Urshan from Tampa?

There are so many ways of eating and it's been cool to see what works for different people! I'm not saying you have to cheat on vacation but if you're going to indulge in a favorite snack, the popcorn is probably not the worst thing you could have. I'm sure the "butter" on it is actually chemicals but at least at some point it was actually corn that grew from the earth, unlike, say... cotton candy (another amazing Main Street smell). Maybe get a water cup (kid size) from Casey's and portion out just a little popcorn for a portion controlled treat. Give the rest away to a family in line behind you.

... or if you're trying to stay on the wagon, bring your favorite salty snack on plan and RUN down Main Street past all of the popcorn as fast as you can! :rotfl:

Has anyone done the keto diet at Disney? Any advice?
I know it sounds ridiculous to diet on vacation but I've lost weight and have no interest in eating the way I used to.

I've been on keto since 2014; lost and kept off 120lb. Every time I go back to carbs, I get ravenous; so I accept I'll be on keto for the rest of my life. I'm happy with this.

However - for the two weeks of each year that I'm at Disney... I eat carbs.

I get home, and suffer for a bit (because it's murder trying to get back off carbs again).

I think it'd be neigh on impossible to eat keto at Disney (I looked into it a few years ago), and be confident that you're actually getting low carb meats, burger pattys, etc. A lot of cheaper meats, quick service will be processed with breadcrumbs and other carby fillers. Not to mention every dressing and sauce will be 75% sugar.

Unless you plan on preparing and taking your own meals each day; or eating at table service restaurants, and getting salmon salads and steaks "without the sauce and dressing"; I can't imagine it's going to be easy.

So... prepare your own food - or risk being out of keto, a lot. I recommend just ordering whatever is on the menu and enjoying it - but resist snacking in-between meals; and avoid ordering desserts. This will help prevent falling into old habits.

(If anyone has mentioned any of this stuff; I apologise, I only read the OP.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter