Ketchikan lunch

CisforCookie991

Mouseketeer
Hello! Question about timing of our Ketchikan day. We're in port 11:15-6:45, and have early dining (hopefully). We have an excursion planned for 1:30-4:30. My kids keep going back and forth on whether or not they want to do the lumberjack show. It would not destroy their lives if we skipped it, but they sort of want to do it. I think the only option that will work for us is the 11:45-12:45 show. All this leaves very little time for food. Is there anything in Ketchikan that is definitely worth going out of my way to eat? Husband is a vegetarian, which also complicates things a little - I didn't see a ton/any vegetarian options on a lot of the menus I looked at online. Or are we better off getting a late breakfast on the ship, doing the show and the excursion, snacking in between, then heading back just in time for dinner?

Thanks for any advice!

We stopped at Ketchikan on our September Holland America cruise, but didn't dine anywhere ashore. To be honest, as much as ate on the boat, a land restaurant meal was the last thing on our mind.

We found the walk along Ketchikan Creek to be really neat, especially the salmon ladder about a 1/4 mile up the creek.

I went to Ketchikan in August 2022 on our Princess cruise. We also did not eat in Ketchikan. We took the ship's excursion to Totem Bight park in the morning, hopped back onboard for lunch, and then visited Creek Street and the fish ladder. I hope you can find someone to help you! I think we will do the Lumberjack Show on our next cruise.

Could you do the lumberjack show in Vancouver before you leave? That's what we did.

Vancouver lumberjacks? I did not know this was an option. Thanks! This may solve both my "what do we do in Vancouver?" question and my "how are we going to fit everything in Ketchikan?" question, because this salmon ladder looks fascinating as well...

Vancouver lumberjacks? I did not know this was an option. Thanks! This may solve both my "what do we do in Vancouver?" question and my "how are we going to fit everything in Ketchikan?" question, because this salmon ladder looks fascinating as well...
I didn’t do it but it’s Grouse mountain they have a nice website. The salmon ladder is a 30 min tops activity. A nice little walk and then watch salmon all depends when your cruise is if they are running.

If you just want some snacks, then there are plenty of options right near the dock. There's also an indoor complex of shops near the lumberjack show that has some food and there's some decent pizza right there, too. Or, you can buy some snacks at the show.

I'd go for a late breakfast and then enjoy your day out and just snack until dinner. The lumberjack show is actually pretty fun! Kind of lame, but in that fun way.

There's plenty to do in Vancouver, anyway. Stanley Park alone could provide a few days of entertainment if you like walking, biking, beaches, woods, flower gardens, totem poles, or aquariums. You could go to the suspension bridge park. There's a big science museum. Whale watching is great in Vancouver! Or, just spend some time on Granville at the shops and restaurants. All of those options are easy to get to with the public buses (or the free shuttle for the suspension bridge park).

We were able to do the suspension bridge and Grouse mountain with lumberjack show both in the same day: https://www.disboards.com/threads/wonder-7-night-august-2016-alaskan-adventure.3537617/post-56305650

We did a DCL excursion that took us to the lumberjack show and Potlatch Totem pole park. My dd was 6 yrs old at the time and enjoyed both, so did my husband and I. We did it in 2014, don't know if the excursion is still offered or not. We had some kid's club cms who also did the excursion. When we got to the totem pole park we all had a guided tour and then any kids who wanted to, went with the cms to do an art project while the adults were told more info about the history of the area. I don't remember exactly what the kids made, but remember they painted something made of wood that was then put on a totem pole at the park. We were all given a wooden totem pole and a wooden wall hanging of an eagle's head as souvenirs when we left the park. Each person in our family received each item. We cruised with extended family members who did a different excursion, so we kept 1 of each and gave the additional ones to them. We did another Alaskan cruise last summer on NCL. We did the lumberjack show and went to Saxman Village. We didn't have a lot of time in Ketchikan on the NCL cruise. We enjoyed both, but preferred Potlatch park. When we did the DCL cruise, the ship docked right across from Creek Street which has a ton of shopping. When we finished the excursion we had a lot of time to walk around the area to do shopping. Our cruises were both in mid June which is too early for the salmon runs. I don't know if DCL still docks in the same place or not. It was nice being right across from all the shopping and the lumberjack show. NCL docks in a different place that was a 15-20 min bus ride so we couldn't do any shopping afterwards.

Well, you are NEVER EVER going to get a better salmon lunch than in a restaurant there. My daughter is vegetarian but my wife and I can't recall what she ate in the restaurant. But we cruised on HAL in 2012 when they had just launched their vegetarian menus on board, so not having a vegetarian option for one lunch was not an issue for her.

I had fish at the New York Cafe, near Creek Street. It was suggested by a shopkeeper. It was yummy and dry! I did an excursion to the totem poles, shopped on Creek Street, ate lunch, chilled in a coffeeshop with wifi and then went to the lumberjack show. It was a nice day, albeit very wet.

I am a big fan of the Alaska Fish House which is next door to the lumberjack show. The fish tacos have always been great, as has the chowder. I always opt for the Alaska Fish House over lunch on the Wonder. I have been there on several trips to Ketchikan -- more times than I have seen the lumberjack show.

Just for entertainment, Chico's Mexican Restaurant is a few blocks away. The food is good, and I have had pictures of my daughter over the years under the "Chico's Mexican Restaurant -- The Best Pizza In Town" sign just because I find the wording entertaining.

I second the Alaska fish house. Really good and a great outdoor area to have a drink and see the cruise ships.

Also A fan of Alaska Fish House. Best coleslaw too. They gave me the recipe-it was all printed up so they must get a bunch of requests. We make it every summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter