Kennedy space center

wanderingdee

Earning My Ears
On our Disney day we were debating doing Kennedy space center instead. Has anyone done this before?

We did Kennedy before our cruise (but WDW after, so no loss). One day was enough for us. It was interesting, but it's more like going to a museum or a science center. You get to see a lot, watch some imax movies and that's it.

On our Disney day we were debating doing Kennedy space center instead. Has anyone done this before?

I'm assuming that by "on our Disney day", you are referring to the Port Canaveral stop on the Magic cruises from NYC to the Bahamas which stop for a day at WDW.

I haven't done KSC as part of one of the NYC to Bahamas cruises, but I did KSC one trip when we spent a couple days in Cocoa Beach before our cruise. You are already paying for the WDW ticket as part of the cruise fare for these cruises so I don't know why you would skip it to do KSC instead.

If the ticket is included, I have to agree to skip KSC unless you can use the ticket later. But if you can use the ticket later then heck yeah because if I’m going to WDW I’m going open to close. Most likely you can visit KSC open to close and even have time to visit a few Cocoa Beach places like the dinosaur museum/store, “I dream of Jeannie” ice cream place, and Ron John’s surf shop. Do you know if the ticket has a limited time restriction applied?

If the ticket is included, I have to agree to skip KSC unless you can use the ticket later. But if you can use the ticket later then heck yeah because if I’m going to WDW I’m going open to close. Most likely you can visit KSC open to close and even have time to visit a few Cocoa Beach places like the dinosaur museum/store, “I dream of Jeannie” ice cream place, and Ron John’s surf shop. Do you know if the ticket has a limited time restriction applied?

The one-day ticket that comes with the cruise is date specific.

Also, you'd have to find your own way there, which really means renting a car in Port Canaveral, as it's not easy to get to.

We didn't do KSC on our Disney day a few years ago but we skipped the parks to do other local activities. It was great to come back to the ship with less than 100 guests on board. I was contemplating skipping it on our last cruise from NY but Hurricane Matthew made the decision for us. Going again this year and thinking about skipping the parks again. So if you think you are interested in going to KSC instead of the parks, I say go for it and enjoy the quiet ship afterwards!

(Getting and returning the rental car was easy and didn't take a great deal of time. While you are out and about, you can easily make a Walmart run or anywhere else to pick up supplies you may need - unfortunately, we needed aloe!)

Also, you'd have to find your own way there, which really means renting a car in Port Canaveral, as it's not easy to get to.
Wouldn’t there be enough of a Uber presence by this time since that new ship dock went in? So far I’ve only Ubered in two large cities so I really wouldn’t know what their presence is there.

With included tickets to WDW and 3 anywhere FP+ plus 3 more FP+ you could reserve the night before at one park, it's no contest.

We aren’t sure we won’t do Disney, but last time we tried it was way too much for my daughter who has some sensory issues. That’s why we are trying the cruise so she has a place to escape to when things get too crazy. I know it’s silly to pass up the tickets since they’re included in the price of the cruise, we just haven’t decided if we want to try to brave it.

We aren’t sure we won’t do Disney, but last time we tried it was way too much for my daughter who has some sensory issues. That’s why we are trying the cruise so she has a place to escape to when things get too crazy. I know it’s silly to pass up the tickets since they’re included in the price of the cruise, we just haven’t decided if we want to try to brave it.

My DD has autism and sensory issues. WDW is her favorite place to vacation. There are ways to lessen the sensory overload. If you haven't yet, check out the disABILITIES forum. DD and I did KSC in 2016 and while we both loved it, DD struggled more at KSC than she does at WDW.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

Has she been to Epcot if you start in the back of the park and move forward there’s fewer people and the areas that would interest her most in the front would be so much quieter after 1 PM. There’s several little park like areas were you guys could sit and just watch people.

Kennedy Space Center is awesome. I go there every year. Totally worth the money in my book. Plus I'm pretty sure it's a DCL excursion, so you wouldn't have to worry about transportation or stuff like that.

I assume you are sailing out of NYC as I believe the KSC excursion is only available on the 7-8 day cruises from there. Costs extra but round-trip transportation is provided. We chose WDW for our Port Canaveral day in November, mainly since we haven't been there since 2011. In November, KSC is open from 9am to 6pm so you do get to spend almost the entire day there. If you really did not want to go to WDW (park hopper ticket and 3 fastpasses, all included with the cruise) on your Port Canaveral day, then I'd suggest it.

Loved, loved, loved KSC, but there are some areas you would have to skip if your DD has sensory issues. There are many exhibits at the main center, then you take a bus to see the launch pad and another area of exhibits, when you get to the part that is further away you first go into a room where they simulate a launch, which you may want to skip. My DD was about 10 when we went and she was a little bored but by the end of the day she loved it and had learned so much, I didn’t realize how little they teach about early space exploration in the schools today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter