Kennedy Space Center

Kkb0517

Mouseketeer
Can anyone who visited Kennedy Space Center before or after a cruise (or another time) give me some advice... I'm trying to figure out what ticket add on's are worth it. We'll be spending the day after we get off our cruise and our flight isn't until 9pm so we should have a full day, it's only two adults, we've never been before. I'm seeing the lunch with an astronaut, launch control tour, explore tour, etc. and trying to figure out what would be a good investment in time (and money). Thanks

If you've never been, I think the bus tour on the base ticket and all the base ticket stuff should be enough, honestly. KSC usually closes at about 6, and if your flight is at 9 you'll want to be out before then anyway. Traffic from there to MCO can be weird.

I'm not sure what's important to you, but on my first trip, I enjoyed what's now called the Cape Canaveral Early Space Tour which covers the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions. Doubt you could do that, the regular bus tour and lunch with an astronaut on the same day. My only advice is, if you have limited time, skip the IMAX movies as you can see those at home. The last time I did the regular bus tour, I found it a bit depressing as they are trying to talk up the possibility of the future, but ultimately reminding you all the time that we don't currently have a US manned space program without buying rides from the Russians. If you've never been, still go. A great place to visit.

Can anyone who visited Kennedy Space Center before or after a cruise (or another time) give me some advice... I'm trying to figure out what ticket add on's are worth it. We'll be spending the day after we get off our cruise and our flight isn't until 9pm so we should have a full day, it's only two adults, we've never been before. I'm seeing the lunch with an astronaut, launch control tour, explore tour, etc. and trying to figure out what would be a good investment in time (and money). Thanks

KSC is easily one full day with NO add ons. We love it. Get there when it opens and start with the bus tour - be sure and see the show in the main building on this tour - it is at the very end of the building and it is so fantastic. When you get back from the bus tour - go to the Atlantis Building - don't miss that show -there is also a great memorial in there about the Challenger. A great Space Simulation Ride too. The TWO IMAX movies are also worth it. I don't think you'll have time to add on anything -

Stick with the base ticket. Here's how I see it:

Either you are really into the space program or you're just sort of interested.
  • If you're just sort-of-interested, then the add-ons and in-depth detailed tours are probably a waste of money.
  • If you're really into it, then you'll have plenty to keep you occupied for the visit on the regular tour for your first visit. There's still plenty to see with the bus tour, the Saturn V and Apollo exhibit, and the Atlantis exhibit. You can easily spend a full day on this, and if you did one of the more in-depth tours, it's less time you'd have for the "standard" part of the visit.
The one thing I might say there is that I've heard some people really like the lunch with an astronaut (and, if you're eating lunch anyway, it might not take much time). I think that will depend on your level of interest, though. I don't think it's a particularly personal visit.

some visiting family recently went for their first time. they were there from open to close with no add ons and felt they could have used more time ....

it has been a few years for me and the place has changed/added stuff but I really enjoyed the optional tour to the 'old stuff' on the Cape Canaveral side. They currently call this the Early Space Tour. To me, the 'technology' - or lack of it - was amazing ..... If I was gonna do an add on, this would be it. Note this one is once a day and there are special requirements (cuz you go into the Air Force / military side .....)

I agree with the PPs who said to just go with the base ticket. You will likely not be able to get to everything covered by the base ticket in one day. I

We visited KSC this summer before a WDW trip. I agree the base ticket has plenty to do and is perfect if you only have one day. We loved our time there and closed the place down at 7pm! The only thing we opted for was the added tour guide on the bus tour. With this option there was a guide in addition to the driver explaining the buildings and history and we made four stops where we could get off the bus and take pictures. Seeing Atlantis was amazing! Well worth the money and a fabulous day!

The basic ticket worked well for us with the included bus tour. We arrived at opening and left at closing. We almost got it all done.

Me, too. Every SINGLE time. (I think I'm up to five or six times -- we're passholders.)
Well just the opening Atlantis movie and entrance is enough to give you goosebumps. LOVED IT. Atlantis took a lot of our day, and we were happy as clams. We did do the Hubble IMAX and I didn't think we could have seen that elsewhere (someone advised skipping IMAX bc you can do that elsewhere, but if it's hot out and it's a fascinating topic, then I'd debate that), but that was two years ago and maybe IMAX movies are more accessible now, I really don't know. Regardless, you will enjoy it!!!

I've seen the Hubble IMAX elsewhere, although not in 3D, so I know it's possible. Just depends if you're in an elsewhere that would show it. Journey to Space and A Beautiful Planet have also shown elsewhere.

Cost of making an IMAX being what it is, they do go around. But, obviously, cost of building an IMAX is also what it is and not everyone will have one (or two, in my case) nearby.

I've seen the Hubble IMAX elsewhere, although not in 3D, so I know it's possible. Just depends if you're in an elsewhere that would show it. Journey to Space and A Beautiful Planet have also shown elsewhere.

Cost of making an IMAX being what it is, they do go around. But, obviously, cost of building an IMAX is also what it is and not everyone will have one (or two, in my case) nearby.
Oh! Very good to know!!!

DW and I visited KSC 4 years ago before a cruise and DD and I stopped there on debarkation day 2 years ago. Some thoughts:

Lunch with an astronaut: unfortunately your lunch will cost about that much in the cafeteria (I'm not joking by much), so if you can spare the time, Lunch with an astronaut can be fun.

Your base ticket will fill your day, even without Lunch with an astronaut, but if you are a big NASA fan then you may want to add a different tour. The free bus tour is really nice, but other tours get you closer to the best sites or inside a building (launch control center tour). DW and I did a tour that is no longer available- inside the VAB and inside the fence of pad 39-A. DD did the launch control tour and we were both actually disappointed. There was another tour- maybe the Kennedy Explore Tour or something similar- that my daughter wanted to take but I thought we would both prefer LCC. Mistake. Looking at what is now listed on the website, I would suggest either the Cape Canaveral Early Space Tour if you have been a NASA nut for a long time and want to see some historical spots, or the Kennedy Explore Tour, which will get you closer to pad 39-A and also a better experience near the VAB and Launch Control Center. If you are not a big NASA fan then you may just want to save the $50 because the free tour is still really good. *Note: all tours end at the Saturn V/ Apollo exhibit building.

If you are booking a bus tour, I suggest taking one right after lunch. I am told to go to the Atlantis exhibit first thing because the line can get long on busy days and the shuttle simulator lines can fill up, too.

Well just the opening Atlantis movie and entrance is enough to give you goosebumps. LOVED IT. Atlantis took a lot of our day, and we were happy as clams. We did do the Hubble IMAX and I didn't think we could have seen that elsewhere (someone advised skipping IMAX bc you can do that elsewhere, but if it's hot out and it's a fascinating topic, then I'd debate that), but that was two years ago and maybe IMAX movies are more accessible now, I really don't know. Regardless, you will enjoy it!!!

The IMAX movies they're currently showing are ones that we also saw at the Orlando Science Center and the Smithsonian. There's a REALLY good one narrated by Sir Patrick Stewart that I'll happily watch at any opportunity.

ETA: Journey Into Space! That's the one with SirPatStew!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter