Keeping Ukraine in our thoughts and prayers here

Nuclear plants are clean energy that don’t require near the amount of land space that wind or solar require. At this point in time, you would need A LOT of wind/solar to replace fossil fuel energy for an entire country. That’s not to say that a combination wouldn’t be a bad idea, but to dismiss nuclear energy totally is a mistake if you want to eliminate fossil fuel energy any time soon.

Besides, even with Chernobyl, 3 Mile island and Fukushima, fossil fuel plants have killed FAR more people.
I think your definition of clean and mine are very very different, nuclear waste is catastrophic. My objective is to find fuel that is not detrimental to the environment so this is a complete big no, we are going from bad to worse.

A radioactive half life of 30 years means ONLY half of it has deteriorated in 30 years and it takes 30 more years for half of that to decay and another 30 for half of the remaining 1/8... that is a LOT of time. Land by Chernobyl still isn't safe and the fact it is seething right now is very concerning. https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/radwaste.html

This is part of the issue in Ukraine because recent actions make it plain that these power plants can be easily turned against the host location, if you host a plant no-one needs to bring a device to the altercation, you have the makings on one right there that only need to be tweaked. If you understand what happens at the plant you understand why it is a liability.

Everyone advocating understands what happens when the reactions stop being cooled, correct?

Again water, wind & sun are fine.

Last edited:
I think your definition of clean and mine are very very different, nuclear waste is catastrophic. My objective is to find fuel that is not detrimental to the environment so this is a complete big no, we are going from bad to worse.

A radioactive half life of 30 years means ONLY half of it has deteriorated in 30 years and it takes 30 more years for half of that to decay and another 30 for half of the remaining 1/8... that is a LOT of time. Land by Chernobyl still isn't safe and the fact it is seething right now is very concerning. https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/radwaste.html

This is part of the issue in Ukraine because recent actions make it plain that these power plants can be easily turned against the host location, if you host a plant no-one needs to bring a device to the altercation, you have the makings on one right there that only need to be tweaked. If you understand what happens at the plant you understand why it is a liability.

Everyone advocating understands what happens when the reactions stop being cooled, correct?

They are fine, but far from enough with current technology. Honestly at this point I'd prefer coal to dependence on Russia!

Wind is detrimental to the environment, there is no way to dispose of the turbine blades cleanly. Also kills billions of birds.
Solar, you can’t produce solar cells without the use of petroleum products. Not to mention the batteries used, the materials and disposal have an impact on the environment.
Ever see a solar farm, ever see how many trees they have to clear to put up black solar panels? Ever wonder how taking away something that naturally filters our environment and gives us clean oxygen and replace it with something black that generates heat in the area the solar cells are is going to be a problem in the future? You cant have enough solar farms to generate enough power for everyone without doing something detrimental to the environment.
I really don’t know enough about water, but I’m guessing that would also have an impact on the environment.

Nuclear is the way to go if we want to get rid of fossil fuels. I know what I’m advocating, my dh is a nuclear physicist 👍🏻

I just watched this clip on CNN - https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/20...o/playlists/russia-ukraine-military-conflict/

Russian families are contacting a Ukraine hotline because they are desperate for information on their loved ones. Even family here in the states has contacted the hotline. The one caller says that people within Russia are afraid to contact anyone because of the police and harm that could come to them. I can not believe that this is happening in 2022.

The one caller says that people within Russia are afraid to contact anyone because of the police and harm that could come to them. I can not believe that this is happening in 2022.
Really? You can't be serious.

Russia has arrested more than 15,000 of their own citizens for daring to speak out against their country's invasion of Ukraine.

Russian soldiers have also ruthlessly bombarded schools, hospitals, orphanages. Russians have agreed to allow innocent civilians to evacuate war zones and then bombed them immediately.

You really believe a government THAT barbaric would not take action against people trying to find out if their sons have been killed yet?

I just watched this clip on CNN - https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/20...o/playlists/russia-ukraine-military-conflict/

Russian families are contacting a Ukraine hotline because they are desperate for information on their loved ones. Even family here in the states has contacted the hotline. The one caller says that people within Russia are afraid to contact anyone because of the police and harm that could come to them. I can not believe that this is happening in 2022.
If the story is true about the Russians bringing mobile cremation units to make sure to get rid of the evidence of their own losses, I can understand that. Also if they have heard the message from Zelensky where he asks for Russian mothers to come and collect their imprisoned sons to see in person: they are not nazis.

Today in the Dutch news was an article about how Zelensky is definitely beating Putin at the game of Social Media, and Putin losing the propaganda war.
Zelensky being able to get the help from Elon Musk via Twitter, the statement about the mothers & sons is called an original. Zelensky making messages in Russian for the Russians about him not being a monster is a bold move. Even when his messages don't reach many Russians, it is a great in fighting the propaganda. Zelensky presents himself as a man of the people, in camouflage, one of the many men fighting. Putin portrays himself as above all people

Another thing where Putin is losing the narrative is that it was clear that an invasion was coming soon. With the result: international journalists and press went to Ukraine and could see first-hand that Russia was the agressor. Russia only has a handful of allies left, who now see what happens with sanctions. China is not a guaranteed ally for Russia anymore. It's not just about gas/oil etc. but they saw major companies pulling out as well. This could influence how China might deal with Taiwan.
With other wars Russia started there were journalists in Moscow, where the Russians could sort of influence what was put out. Now almost all international journalists have left Russia due to the punishment of up to 15 years for spreading 'misinformation'.

Ukraine claim to have shot down almost 90 Russian aircraft whilst Poland has massed a band of Mig fighter jets with American forces on the border...

ETA: Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but Ukraine is reporting that there they have killed a high ranking Russian General. Russia isn't commenting...

Ukraine claim to have shot down almost 90 Russian aircraft whilst Poland has massed a band of Mig fighter jets with American forces on the border...
From what I've seen in the last two days, that bad idea is a dead issue.
ETA: Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but Ukraine is reporting that there they have killed a high ranking Russian General. Russia isn't commenting...
They have claimed TWO kills of senior generals, and possibly some other command-level people. Putin himself acknowledged the first death, General Andrei Sukhovetsky.

Here's a link: https://thehill.com/policy/internat...laims-second-russian-general-killed-in-battle

As far as"beheading" goes, it might go against Ukraine. Her President is sort of a figure of hope and defiance and I fear the (perhaps) inevitable day when he is killed :(
Soldiers kill other soldiers in combat, and the generals were obviously soldiers. They were also both killed in combat operations they were leading.

The Russians have been trying from Day One to kill Zelensky. Hopefully they will remain unsuccessful.

The Ukrainian people are tough and are not going to up easily. None of this will end well for Putin.

The Ukrainian people are tough and are not going to up easily. None of this will end well for Putin.

My best guess now is still that Russia takes Ukraine. Really, NATO is only worried about Russia going beyond Ukraine. If Putin stops with Ukraine, then this will slowly go away in our news cycle.

My best guess now is still that Russia takes Ukraine. Really, NATO is only worried about Russia going beyond Ukraine. If Putin stops with Ukraine, then this will slowly go away in our news cycle.
I hate to admit it, but I'm afraid you are right. It fades from the news cycle and the sanctions quietly stop being enforced because the countries lose their will to confront Putin. Being strong is hard, and lots of countries don't do hard any more.

I hate to admit it, but I'm afraid you are right. It fades from the news cycle and the sanctions quietly stop being enforced because the countries lose their will to confront Putin. Being strong is hard, and lots of countries don't do hard any more.

I can't see this staying in the news cycle all year long. Boris Johnson was on his way out at PM of the UK due to partygate. And now, he's getting popular again.

If you want to see a conspiracy show that feels like today, check out the show Devils. It's brilliant.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7939218/
What I don't get it is why Putin all of a sudden decided to attack Ukraine in the middle of a pandemic with inflation running high. I struggle with his motivation.

I read that McDonald’s shutting down in Russia caused something like 62,000 people to lose their jobs. If other companies keep doing this it will definitely start to have a greater impact on his own people. I feel bad for the innocent citizens though. Sad all around. But just maybe if things become a complete disaster at home, he will be forced out by his own people. Wishful thinking I know.

I read that McDonald’s shutting down in Russia caused something like 62,000 people to lose their jobs. If other companies keep doing this it will definitely start to have a greater impact on his own people. I feel bad for the innocent citizens though. Sad all around. But just maybe if things become a complete disaster at home, he will be forced out by his own people. Wishful thinking I know.
McDonalds is closing 850 or so stores that they own in Russia...temporarily. For now, at least, they plan to continue to pay those employees. We'll see how long that lasts.

This could turn out to be the straw that breaks the camel's back though. I'm not sure how long Russia can hold out without McFlurries!

McDonalds is closing 850 or so stores that they own in Russia...temporarily. For now, at least, they plan to continue to pay those employees. We'll see how long that lasts.

This could turn out to be the straw that breaks the camel's back though. I'm not sure how long Russia can hold out without McFlurries!
On one hand I am glad they will pay their employees. I don’t want any more people to suffer. On the other, maybe if enough Russians don’t have work, Putin will have to re think some of his decisions. Now we need Burger King to do the same as well as every other company doing business there.

The upside of closing McDs in Russia is that people will end up living longer.

Polish MIG fighter update:
The possibility of Poland providing Russian made fighter jets to Ukraine has been mentioned a couple of times. It never made much sense, and when Poland made their actual offer, it became a no-brainer "NO" for the United States.

Poland's offer was to deliver ALL of their Russian made fighter jets to the US airbase in Ramstein, Germany. That's in far Western Germany, almost to France. Then, the US would somehow transfer those jets to Ukraine and replace them with US jets to Poland.

Naw. Ain't happening! https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-poland-nato-5724ff192113703d829024dc4410664e

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter