Keeping the Magic Feel at Bonnet Creek??

Princess SarahK

DIS Veteran
Any ideas for keeping the magical feel of a WDW resort at Bonnet Creek?

We've come to know and LOVE staying on property, but thanks to Hurricane Harvey stealing quite a bit of our budget, we're trying an off-site stay this time. My kids are 3 and 4, and I'd love to incorporate ways to make our stay a little more magical than what I've heard an off-property stay can entail.

Please calm my fears that an off-site stay can still be special and magical! Disney has lured me in and gotten me addicted to their resorts. :scared::scared::scared:

First off at Bonnet Creek you never have to be aware you are leaving Disney property ... their drive is attached to Disney property. That helps a lot in feeling like you are part of it all.

Be prepared to get addicted to Bonnet Creek. Personally, I think the theming is every bit as nice and magical as the Disney resorts, plus you get so much more space. For us, the biggest downer is the inability to charge to our Magicbands (why they don't offer AP holders to link a credit card is beyond me).

Anyway, the property is lovely, the pools are lovely, and you're practically on property...pretty magical in my book!

When my DS was your kids ages we were still totally on-property folks and owned DVC. About that time I'd do little "Tinkerbell gifts" like a special themed toothbrush or stickers or something. Tinkerbell would leave them in the room while we were out and about, especially is DS was behaving himself. You could do something like that if you wanted.

We also always try to get a Pay it Forward bin when we stay at WBC, both of which have Mickey waffle makers in them, that's a special Disney touch for breakfast time in the room. If you can't get a bin, easy enough to pick up a waffle maker at Kohl's with a discount code and pack it along.

If you wanted to, you could do something to your car/rental car (assuming you'll have one) like add a Mickey antenna ball or a ribbon or magnets or something. Easier to spot that way, anyway! (a tip: you don't need a parking pass...that's a sales tactic, so you can skip that desk!)

But like I said, the resort is very nice and magical in it's own right, you'll have a great time!

Considering the ages of your kids you might want to think about paying to park at the Contemporary resort on Magic Kingdom days. It is $25 plus a tip for the cast member who brings you your car. Then just a short walk to MK - no tram, boat or monorail needed. Valet parking is great if you are bringing your stroller. If kids fall asleep you can leave them in until your car arrives with the a/c going to make a nice cool car for trip back to WBC.

We usually stay at WBC and love it, my kids are 2 & 4 and as far as they are concerned they are in Disney. Our next trip is in November for my daughter's 3rd birthday, she is in the princess stage but unfortunately I wasnt able to book any princess meals for our trip (still trying though!). Im going to try to make it special by decorating the room for her. The plus of WBC is that you have tons of space. I'll buy some of those plastic wall murals they have at party city, and other things to hang up on the wall. You can pick a theme and go all out!

We love WBC! As Hopper said, it's still on property, it just doesn't have Disney in the name. You could easily leave small trinkets for them each day. Dollar Store is great for that as is the Dollar Spot at Target. If grabbing food from an off site grocery store you can purchase Mickey Mouse or Star Wars Eggo waffles/pancakes.

We love WBC as well, we stayed at the POLY this past June to get that Disney feel and honestly I wished we were over at WBC for the size of the rooms and the value we received. We are going back during Spring Break :scared: next year and booked 2 2BR condos for less than 1 room at the POLY. We tend to rent a car for our trips no matter where we stay and then we have family with passes so the parking fees don't bother us but even with the fees the value and space you get far outweigh staying on property, plus it is right next to CBR so your pretty much there anyways :)

Thanks guys!! I've been looking at photos all morning and am getting so excited!! Fingers crossed for a fireworks view!!!

Considering the ages of your kids you might want to think about paying to park at the Contemporary resort on Magic Kingdom days. It is $25 plus a tip for the cast member who brings you your car. Then just a short walk to MK - no tram, boat or monorail needed. Valet parking is great if you are bringing your stroller. If kids fall asleep you can leave them in until your car arrives with the a/c going to make a nice cool car for trip back to WBC.

This sounds great but aren't hotel parking lots only a three hour limit for non hotel guests? I read in many places that this is not allowed.

Magical is very different for each person. Magical for me this past summer was spending $1,250 for 14-nights at 2 offsite resorts. The same Disney accommodations in Value resort studio rooms was $2,000. For apples-to-apples Disney accommodation comparison, a 1BR DVC room for 7-nights and a 2BR DVC room for 7-nights was just under $7,000 through Disney. Through DVC renters, it was just under $5,000. Since the Value resorts were not even in comparison room size wise, it is unfair to use it, but still a $750 price difference. DVC vs offiste was $3,500 - $5,500 in savings. To me, that is Magical. On top of that, the resorts offered entertainment all day long.

So, with all that money you would save staying at WBC, buy a bunch of decorations for the room. That way you enter the magic when you get back. On top of that, when you pour that adult beverage in the room, you can think about the $10 you just saved by having it yourself.

Magical is very different for each person. Magical for me this past summer was spending $1,250 for 14-nights at 2 offsite resorts. The same Disney accommodations in Value resort studio rooms was $2,000. For apples-to-apples Disney accommodation comparison, a 1BR DVC room for 7-nights and a 2BR DVC room for 7-nights was just under $7,000 through Disney. Through DVC renters, it was just under $5,000. Since the Value resorts were not even in comparison room size wise, it is unfair to use it, but still a $750 price difference. DVC vs offiste was $3,500 - $5,500 in savings. To me, that is Magical. On top of that, the resorts offered entertainment all day long.

So, with all that money you would save staying at WBC, buy a bunch of decorations for the room. That way you enter the magic when you get back. On top of that, when you pour that adult beverage in the room, you can think about the $10 you just saved by having it yourself.

Yes, I'd say those savings are quite magical! Kudos to you!!! Our reason for staying WBC this time is for savings as well. I should remind myself of this more often!

This sounds great but aren't hotel parking lots only a three hour limit for non hotel guests? I read in many places that this is not allowed.

Resort free parking is limited to three hours, so that's what you are thinking about. The $25 suggestion is for valet parking and is not limited to three hours, the resort is happy to take money to park for the day.

We stayed at WBC last T'giving. I had stuffed Disney toys and a few small Disney character figurines (from Dollar Tree) to decorate with. Maybe Disney pajamas would be fun. I did not decorate the door or windows. We were on a very high floor, so window decorations would not have been seen.

I was able to look off my balcony and see Epcot in one direction and DS in another. That was magical.

When we stayed at the Dolphin - I brought some Disney clings for the windows (Easter week)
Also I have small plastic Disney characters (I think I go them at Walmart or Target, unsure - so long ago) - anyway, I placed some in the bathroom, up near the TV, on the night stand.
Cute and gave some Disney feeling.

You could get some Disney stickers, Disney themed towels to use at the pool, Disney bathing suits/t-shirts, small plush Disney toys - Anything your kids would like - Mail them down in a box and let the surprises each morning delight your children. :)

YOu guys are making me excited for my first stay here! We have always stayed a BCR but this will be a nice change. I am looking forward to the bigger rooms. DO they offer the Disney Channel with Theme Park times etc??

We stay a BCR every year! This resort offers its own immersive experience in itself, you will have a great time here!

Other than the value resorts, I don't think the Disney resorts are all that "magical" to little kids. I don't think they really "get" the theming at the moderate and deluxe resorts. To them, they are just big fancy hotels with a pool. So Bonnet Creek will be just as magical to them as any other resort on property. I think you have some good ideas listed as to things to bring to decorate or make it feel more magical but I'm guessing your kids wouldn't know the difference if you don't bring them. Unlike the commercials, when you stay on property at Disney, you don't actually see the Star Wars army marching off the elevator or Cinderella just randomly walking down the stairs. They make the hotels seem much more "magical" than they really are. That being said, I love staying on property and most of our trips have been on-site, however, now that Disney hotel prices seemed to have gone through the roof, we will probably only stay off-site going forward. Our last stay was at WBC and we loved it.

We bring lights and decorate our balcony for the week. To us that is magical. Especially up on the top floors of tower 6 in the presidential reserves. Great views of everything!!! Can't wait for our December trip. Lights packed!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter