Keeping my phone charged

xtina!

Earning My Ears
So this is more of a tech question than a Disney question but... I want to download the Disney app and use Maxpass and I'm thinking that between running the app + using my camera often, I'm going to probably kill my phone battery quick. I am not tech savvy at all but I think there are things you can buy to charge your phone on the go? Any advice? If it matters my phone is an Android.

There are portable batteries that you can purchase which you connect to your phone using a regular charger cable. Walmart and Target have them. Amazon and other places online have them, too. Best Buy also sells them. A small lipstick-sized one will probably charge your phone almost 1 time. Or if you get a larger battery brick thing, then you can get a few charges out of it before you have to recharge the battery itself. This one is a good example of a larger battery. Here's an example of the lipstick sized one. Or for $30, you can buy a Fuel Rod in the park and when you need a new one, you go to one of the Fuel Rod kiosks to get a new one (it's a 1-time $30 fee).

You can definitely purchase a portable charger from any electronics store or department. Some will work better than others, as in some can charge your phone multiple times before they need a charge.

However, Disneyland and WDW have a portable charger called FuelRod. They sell these in the parks for $30 at various FuelRod stations throughout. The initial purchase includes the charging connectors for android and iPhone. Whenever the FuelRod dies or whenever you’re walking past a FuelRod station you can swap your FuelRod for a fully charged one at no cost. It may not be the best portable charger, as in you only get about 1 full charge out of it, the convenience of being able to swap it for a fully charged one makes it nice and my choice while in the parks.

My phone has battery issues anyway, so being in the parks drains it even faster. We have 2 of the portable charges, but I've only needed one. I try to keep apps closed when I'm not using them, especially the camera. I also turn off wifi since I don't want to try and connect in the parks. I had pretty good luck with verizon data. I also turn on airplane mode when on certain rides like Indiana Jones and Soarin' because I know I won't get a signal there and I don't want to waste my battery searching for a signal.

My iPhone 6S needed to be recharged around 1:00 when using MP the super-busy week between Christmas and New Year's. I used a 3000 mAH charger, which charged it fully, and it did not need to be charged again (largely because FPs ran out for everything that week by around 4:00 so MP was of no further use by then - less crowded days might require more battery power).

I just took a portable charger that I purchased on Amazon for $20. It had enough juice to fully charge my iPhone once, which was all I needed even though I was on it pretty constantly taking pictures and checking the app. I did make sure to turn the wifi off and the brightness down and that helped a lot to preserve battery life.

I bought a 50000 mah portable charger, about the size of a cell phone, on Ebay for $15 before our trip. It would fully charge a phone about 3 times. It was great to use in the parks and on our travel days.

I have been reading up on this topic and am purchasing a more powerful charger that can get me through the day better than relying on the overpriced $30 fuel rod. I have an iPhone 8 Plus which takes even more juice to charge so I wanted to have that with me before we arrive. The trick will be making sure that thing is charged overnight.

I have also found, if you can swing it, to switch to airplane mode when you can helps as well as switching to low power mode when you are at 100% not waiting until you get lower down in your charge. Lots of great recommendations here so thanks for starting this thread!

I like the concept of the FuelRod, but can't quite commit to the $20/$30 price. From what I've read, the FuelRods themselves don't have a lot of capacity, so you might need more than one to fully recharge some phones (I asked FuelRod about the capacity once and got a vague "plenty of power" type of response, which makes me think that's not one of their selling points). I also have one higher capacity candy bar battery and several lipstick batteries. I carry one with me and one stays in the locker to be swapped later in the day. I like the Anker brand of portable batteries and have pretty good luck with them.

Wife uses the external batteries. I have a battery case for one of my two phones (and thusly use that phone the most). I perfer the case, but I have several external batteries and charging cables in my backpack.

I like the concept of the FuelRod, but can't quite commit to the $20/$30 price. From what I've read, the FuelRods themselves don't have a lot of capacity, so you might need more than one to fully recharge some phones (I asked FuelRod about the capacity once and got a vague "plenty of power" type of response, which makes me think that's not one of their selling points). I also have one higher capacity candy bar battery and several lipstick batteries. I carry one with me and one stays in the locker to be swapped later in the day. I like the Anker brand of portable batteries and have pretty good luck with them.
I personally don’t mind that the fuel rod doesn’t have that high of a capacity, the reason I got it is cause of the weight and the convenience of being able to swap them. I have a 10,000 AMPh charger but it’s not light and when I’m in the parks all day I try to keep my backpack as light as possible.

So this is more of a tech question than a Disney question but... I want to download the Disney app and use Maxpass and I'm thinking that between running the app + using my camera often, I'm going to probably kill my phone battery quick. I am not tech savvy at all but I think there are things you can buy to charge your phone on the go? Any advice? If it matters my phone is an Android.
For Christmas I picked up some nice recharging units at Costco.
While I was reading the product info, a worker came and changed out the price card. It had been $19.99 but the new card changed the price to $9.97.
For $9.97 I picked one up for each grandkid.

Wow thanks for all of the responses! When I google tech questions I just get confused. I will definitely get a portable charger (maybe one for DH too). And turning off the wifi is an awesome tip I never thought of.

While the Fuel Rods are not the most powerful or cheapest...the perk of free swaps for charged rods whenever park wide is what makes them worth the $$. No need to make sure another device is charged before you depart...battery low? just get a fresh one on the go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter