Keeping meds cold at Bell Services

KYTink

Earning My Ears
We will be dropping our luggage at BWI Bell Services on arrival morning then heading to a park. I have medicine that needs to be refrigerated. Does Bell Services have a refrigerator for this? It will be in a small cooler.

Yes - we always have small groceries that we pick up on the way - and they have been put in a fridge and delivered once our room is ready and we return to the resort! Just a quick phone call to the front desk! Or you could just pick it up on the way back. Have done this at many different resorts!

Yep, bell services kept my bag with my daughters meds in it cold in what I like to call the fridge room (they have also done the same when it was 90+ outside and I was afraid my chocolate from Disney Springs would melt waiting in the room with no a/c...priorities lol).

Thank you all very much! I thought they probably would keep it cold but it's always nice to hear from other guests' experiences. And Sarahslay - chocolate is a huge priority! :)

Short answer: yes, they can hold it and keep it cold at Bell Services.

But I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I would never trust leaving my medication that needs temperature control. Maybe it's my bad luck, but if 99% of people have never had a problem -- I'd be the 1% whose item is misplaced or doesn't get refrigerated. I've had to get emergency refills of medications while on vacation and it isn't fun; it's a hassle, time-consuming and expensive. You say it will be in a cooler -- is that a lunchbag-style cooler or something else that you could bring to the park with you? I would prefer to bring it with me, refilling ziploc bags of ice if necessary. I suppose that may depend on the type of medication and the required temperature, dosing schedule, etc. But I would just prefer to keep it under my own control and not trust something as important as medication to someone else.

Enjoy your vacation!

Short answer: yes, they can hold it and keep it cold at Bell Services.

But I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I would never trust leaving my medication that needs temperature control. Maybe it's my bad luck, but if 99% of people have never had a problem -- I'd be the 1% whose item is misplaced or doesn't get refrigerated. I've had to get emergency refills of medications while on vacation and it isn't fun; it's a hassle, time-consuming and expensive. You say it will be in a cooler -- is that a lunchbag-style cooler or something else that you could bring to the park with you? I would prefer to bring it with me, refilling ziploc bags of ice if necessary. I suppose that may depend on the type of medication and the required temperature, dosing schedule, etc. But I would just prefer to keep it under my own control and not trust something as important as medication to someone else.

Enjoy your vacation!
I second this advice. My DD has a medication that requires refrigeration. I don’t leave it at Bell Services with other refrigerated items just because it is a medication, and I do not want the nightmare of needing to get a prescription when we are out of state should Bell Services forget to refrigerate or misplace it. That scenario has never happened to us, and all of the groceries I’ve asked Bell services to refrigerate have always been refrigerated. I am just not willing to risk it with a necessary medication. There are various types of of small portable cooler cases for medications. We use a Frio wallet (intended for insulin, but it works for my daughter’s medication), which is especially nice because it doesn’t require ice packs (we have no way to freeze an ice pack in our room at Disney and need the medication to stay cold for our return home, which can take many hours). Just my opinion.

I have Type-1 diabetes, need insulin every day, and we've moved a lot between resorts. At first I used to tell Bell Services but now I've stopped doing that as it appears they are taking great care anyway not to keep the bags in the outside for too long.

Since insulin stops working once below 32° I've never been confident with using ice cubes, and even if I know bell services has fridges, I wouldn't trust theirs. Everyone has had one that cooled occasionally below freezing temperature, why take the chance? Also, I don't pay for insulin where I live, and I'm not quite sure I would want to pay the silly prices here in the US.

One tip: place a small Ghirardelli chocolate near your medication. If it melts, you'll immediately know it's been too hot too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter