Keep debating between PVI, Tropicana or Desert Inn

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
Most of our stays at DL have been at BWPPI. After our last stay which was the second time my DS got a bad stomach virus while we were staying there, I've decided to look elsewhere (yes I know it could be a coincidence but just don't want to take the chance again). We've also stayed at the Carousel which was okay, but nothing special. For our upcoming trip in July I keep going back and forth on Park Vue, Tropicana and Desert Inn. I'm sure this has been discussed a lot of times, but does anyone want to sway me towards one over the others? I just can't make up my mind, lol. TIA! :goodvibes

I haven't stayed at the Tropicana or Desert Inn, but my last stay was at Park Vue. I loved the proximity to the park, the only thing I would have done differently was ask for a room closer to the front as we were as far back as you could possibly go. The rooms were being remodeled though while we there and we were lucky enough to have a newly completed one and it was actually pretty nice, by now I would think a good majority of them would be done.

Breakfast was your typical offering, but was decent, especially for it being free and I liked being able to sit out on a balcony while we ate. While we didn't actually use the pool, we waited for our shuttle by the pool and although it is in the middle of the parking lot, they put up enough trees and such around it to at least give the illusion of a little privacy.

Would defintely stay here again, we were hoping to for our trip next month but they were already booked for the dates and room we wanted. Hope you enjoy your trip!!

We've stayed at PVI twice and DI&S twice with a 3rd DI&S stay coming up this August.

For me, the deciding factor is price and how many people are coming with. When it is just the 3 of us, we usually do DI&S because by booking far enough in advance I can get us a super rate. If a 4th person is joining us (SIL has come with a few times), then I prefer PVI because they have a decent breakfast.

You can't go wrong with the PVI. The free hot breakfast is great and parking is free. Make your own waffles everyday and anything else you want and save all of that money you would have spent on breakfast. Also nothing beats the short walk back to the PVI for an afternoon nap. The only negative I have to say about the place was the coffee they had for breakfast. To me it tasted like valveoline motor oil but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to coffee so it could just be me. But I would go back there in a heartbeat. Its a great deal and the absolute closest place to stay from the DL main gate.

Last edited:
I've heard the breakfast is better at the Park Vue, but never stayed there. We've stayed at Desert Inn once, and are staying there next month. For us it's about price. The hotels are similar, both have free breakfast, and they're in the same area. Desert Inn is usually cheaper. But keep in mind that Desert Inn charges for parking too. We got our room for only $89, so even with parking and resort fee it's not bad. Park Vue was around $130 or so. We booked more than 3 months out though. If you're booking for something soon, the prices may be more similar between the two hotels.

So Tropicana doesn't have a free breakfast? If that's the case, I think I'll knock it out of the running and decide between Park Vue and Desert Inn. I may go with Desert Inn if it's cheaper.

So Tropicana doesn't have a free breakfast? If that's the case, I think I'll knock it out of the running and decide between Park Vue and Desert Inn. I may go with Desert Inn if it's cheaper.

If it is just the two of you, I would go with DI&S. When there were 4 of us, the difference in rates was more than made up by the savings of not having to buy breakfast for the 4 of us but when it was just 3 people, DI&S made more sense financially.

Oh, and the wifi at DI&S was WAY better!

I've heard the breakfast is better at the Park Vue, but never stayed there. We've stayed at Desert Inn once, and are staying there next month. For us it's about price. The hotels are similar, both have free breakfast, and they're in the same area. Desert Inn is usually cheaper. But keep in mind that Desert Inn charges for parking too. We got our room for only $89, so even with parking and resort fee it's not bad. Park Vue was around $130 or so. We booked more than 3 months out though. If you're booking for something soon, the prices may be more similar between the two hotels.
$89 for is a great deal! I've seen deals like that come across, but never for the dates im looking at. I've got my fingers crossed. Did you book directly through the hotel or was it another site?

I have stayed at all three. They are very comparable in location and room. If breakfast is a must, go with Park Vue. DI has a breakfast, but it is cheap. My kids call it dollar store breakfast. We supplement with items we bring and a reservation for a TS breakfast during our stay.

To me the biggest factor is price. I usually score huge savings, like PPs have mentioned booking DI early. I have been able to book the 10 person family suite for $104 a night in the past. We are going in August during the Expo and I booked for $99 for a deluxe (sleeps four). Park Vue wanted $169 for the same dates. $70 goes a long way at Starbucks or Mimi's.

The dates I'm looking at are nowhere near as cheap as those prices quoted, but then I'm looking at July and booking only a few months out. Hmmm, what to do, what to do.

$89 for is a great deal! I've seen deals like that come across, but never for the dates im looking at. I've got my fingers crossed. Did you book directly through the hotel or was it another site?

Yes, I booked right through their site. I've called and made a change to my reservation already. They're very helpful. When we were there 2 years ago they were renovating some rooms. I've read on Tripadvisor.com that the breakfast has improved, but is still pretty basic. Looks like it includes cereal, toast, pastries (vary by day), hard boiled eggs, juice and coffee. We're bringing our own cereal and then we'll grab some pastries and eggs on our way to the park.

Wow... I just looked for our stay next Feb. The first night is $69 and the second is $109.Even after parking it is $50 cheaper than PVI. Time to try something new!

I ran the dates for PVI and Desert Inn. The cheapest room at Desert Inn was $169 and PVI was $179 for some of the nights and $159 for the others. I think it's probably worth it then to book PVI.

Staying at DI in June, I booked it pretty far in advance, and as others have said, got a really good rate. Needed to add one day to our stay, and when I looked it up on the site the price had gone up about $50, but when I called they added the night on at the same rate I had booked. We don't need a lot as far as hotels go. Clean sheets, working hot water, basically a place to lay our heads and bathe that isn't disgusting. Proximity to the park can't be beat! I remember that the parking can be tight, but that will only affect us for one day in the grand scheme of things.

We stay at PVI loyally. We love the breakfast (hot foods!), we love the beds (pillow tops), and (silly, I know) we love the decently-sized towels. We like the pool more there, as well, because (as another PP mentioned) it feels more "private" with the ivy/brick fencing than the DI&S's "full view display window." I had a nice case of folliculitis after the hot tub at DI&S, but have never had any issues with the hot tub at PVI. I've also never had booking or billing issues with PVI, but I have had many issues with DI&S (confirmation calls for reservations cancelled 6 months ahead twice, no understanding for cancelling at 36hrs due to my FIL's death, holding charges for 10 days, etc.). DI&S is great price-wise, but their breakfast is mediocre at best, and out beds were amazingly hard--enough that I considered sleeping on the floor our first stay there, and actually bought an air mattress to use for our second stay(ended up cancelling the second stay, due to FIL's death, but still got charged for nights that they "weren't able to sell").

PVI gives us a military discount, then a returning guest discount on top of that, so it brings the price down a little.

We are also loyal to PVI. I've stayed at the others and for the proximity to the entrance of DLR, great free breakfast and overall experience of the hotel we feel it's the best in the area.

We stay at PVI loyally. We love the breakfast (hot foods!), we love the beds (pillow tops), and (silly, I know) we love the decently-sized towels. We like the pool more there, as well, because (as another PP mentioned) it feels more "private" with the ivy/brick fencing than the DI&S's "full view display window." I had a nice case of folliculitis after the hot tub at DI&S, but have never had any issues with the hot tub at PVI. I've also never had booking or billing issues with PVI, but I have had many issues with DI&S (confirmation calls for reservations cancelled 6 months ahead twice, no understanding for cancelling at 36hrs due to my FIL's death, holding charges for 10 days, etc.). DI&S is great price-wise, but their breakfast is mediocre at best, and out beds were amazingly hard--enough that I considered sleeping on the floor our first stay there, and actually bought an air mattress to use for our second stay(ended up cancelling the second stay, due to FIL's death, but still got charged for nights that they "weren't able to sell").

PVI gives us a military discount, then a returning guest discount on top of that, so it brings the price down a little.

I was already leaning towards PVI, but I think you have me sold now, especially when you mention the pillow top mattresses and how hard the beds are at Desert Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter