Karla B.'s Common Sense Weight Loss/Fitness Journal Begins!

ptrbryant

DIS Veteran
Hello, everyone!
Well, I saw a recent photo of myself and finally resolved that I just can't stick to a weight-loss/fitness plan on my own. I've eyed these boards for a while and am ready to take the plunge!

Some info: I'm a 43 y.o. homeschooling mom of a 7 year old son with some special needs (receptive language/CAPD type problems). Currently, I'm 175 lbs. and 5'4". I realize that, while I could certainly do a better job of watching what I'm eating (primarily portion size), I REALLY need to excercise to get in better shape and speed up my metabolism.

I like the Body For Life program since it seems to have a lot of common sense (i.e. a program you could stick to indefinately). Basically, aerobic activity 3xwk, weight training 3xweek, watch portion sizes and fat content and one day a week is FREE (eat whatever you want and don't excercise). People I know who have done this have had impressive results. It seems like something that, once you got in the habit of it, would be easier to maintain than some other plans. (PLUS, being a one-income family, I don't have the money to join any "official" program).

Tonight for dinner, I'm going to have a fist-size portion of grilled chicken breast cooked with minimal bbq sauce; a 1/2 cup of fresh-cut veg (cucumber, tomato, green pepper, zuccini, onion) with a light Italian dressing, corn on the cob WITHOUT butter and lots of water to drink.

Later, I plan on doing the weight-training part of Body for Life and, since my husband is going to get together with an old buddy from high school tonight, after ds is in bed, I'm going to pull out my old Callanetics (sp.?) video that had worked for me back in the late '80's.

Wish me luck!!!

Karla B.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Okay, I'm very satisified with my efforts over the past two days. This morning, I weighed 169 1/2, but I think my scale is light.

I stuck to my plan yesterday, varying only by doing the complete Body for LIfe excercises and not the Callanetics (which I may do tonight).

I had a Special K breakfast and for lunch, a SUbway Club salad (NOT sandwich) with baked chips and Diet Pepsi from Subway. Dinner will be grilled chicken, the fresh veg. mis and 1/2 cup of rice (without butter).

I walked 2 miles today, not at a rapid pace, but carrying a load of library books for half of it...does that count for "extra credit"???

I'm keeping the photo of myself looking heavier than ever in my underwear drawer so I have to look at it at the start of each day...quite a motivation!

I did the Body for Life weight-training this evening (yeah!!! The excercise on a regular basis is always the bit I don't keep to!). As far as my diet, I stayed to basic fare, both lunch and dinner under 500 calories. My only indulgence was:eek: 12 Good & Plenty candies = 48 extra calories. As far as indulgences go, I could have done worse!

It's going to be hard to be patient enough to see some reults...esp. since I'm not doing anything dramatic, but a moderate lifestyle change. I'm going to try to post daily until I start seeing results to keep myself motivated and will then post weekly...hopefully to state that week's weight loss!

To anyone reading my journal--PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST!

:Pinkbounc

When I weighed myself on the scale fully clothed, I weighed in at 175- 176 lbs....just as I'd feared! I'm telling myself to look on it as more motivation and that I probably won't see any pounds come off for at least 1-2 weeks.

Stayed on course with food today--no falls off the wagon. I walked with my dog for 2 brisk miles tonight and will do the weight-training again tomorrow.

Karla B.

Minor slip-ups yesterday! By the time I had a chance to do the weight-training excerises, it was 11:30 p.m. and I'm fighting a cold...just couldn't bring myself to do them.

We had to catch a bite at McDonald's for dinner because we had so many errands on top of each other. I think I did OKAY...I had their "all-American cheesburger meal", which is a regular-size cheeseburger, small fries (the size that's in the Kid-sMeals) and a Diet Coke....and, okay I'll confess, 1/2 of an apple pie. To balance that, for lunch, I had only a bowl of homemade vegetable & chicken soup (clear broth) and 135 cal. of crackers.

Today, my diet's been fine...just need to get the weight-training in!

Did well today! I haven't had any "cheats" on my diet all day...even went out with ds and friends for an ice cream treat and I only had a Diet Coke! My walk this evening wasn't as long as I like, but at least I did something to be active!

Hey, Laurie, thanks for the encouragement! I needed it because today, I felt like I kind of sloughed off. I didn't have any major cheat, but I had a few handfuls of popcorn (still, it was the microwave, fat-free type!), about 6 Good & Plenty...just don't feel like I've been super-vigilant. Then again, can I be every day? I gave the dog a good walk this morning, but didn't get any other excercise in--it was a big day for running errands.

What I want to do is make sure I stick with an excercise program. On our last trip to WDW, I ate more than I ever do, but because of all the walking, I came back 3 lbs. lighter! So, I have to keep reminding myself that getting the metabolism up and running is more crucial than a couple of Good & Plentys!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter