Kali river rapids w/ mobility issues

Bump steps/slide can help one get down into the raft, but isn't it harder to get out? My mom can get into things, but it takes 3 of us to get her out.
in general, getting into an attraction is easier because gravity is working with you. When you are getting out, you are working against gravity.
That can make it much harder because you have to lift your body weight.

I could not find a picture of the transfer device, but maybe I can explain it a bit better.
This is a picture of the seats on Kali River Rapids (from Undercover Tourist):
kali-river-rapids-6821.JPG

This is a transfer tier - many people call it a 'bump steps'. You park the wheelchair next to the top step, transfer to it and then move step by step down the stair by bumping on your butt. To get out, you reverse the process and 'bump' back up to the top.
image.jpg
Now, picture a portable set of bump steps that fit into the little stairs between the seats on the first picture. They put the steps in place, you transfer onto a seat and then the bump steps are removed. When you get back, they put the steps back for you to transfer out.

Last edited:
It is difficult to explain, and it has taken us several trips to figure out how to make it work for DS. In this case we can place WC against top box and put DS feet up on the box, he can the "skootch" forward and slide down. We catch, stand and pivot to seat. The exit is definitely harder and you are working against gravity. We have DD sit on top box and she pulls while we guide feet up. It is then a slide back into chair. This may not work, for some and does (in our case) require at least 2 helpers. Three is better as two can stand and help at the top on exiting.

Kali River Rapids is not easy transfer it requires patience and yes they do stop the raft at the loading/docking area. I have slid down into the seat myself and other times been lifted into it by my husband. The ride rocks and as others have said put all belongings away and prepare to be soaked! Your chair waits at that docking site and the CMs were great about having it near to transfer into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter