Kali River Rapids. -- Seat belts too small???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Power

Earning My Ears
I heard someone say on another website that Kali River Rapids has changed their seat belts (at least from our last Disney trip in 08) where it is a belt for each seat instead of one belt for two seats. Also, they said that there are no seat belt extenders and the belt was to small for the POOH sized rider.

Has anyone that fits into this POOH sized category been on Kali lately? Is this true? We are going in August and this might be a concern if the seat belts won't fit. I am about a 20/22 but my husband is a 5X. Last time he rode on it was back in 2006 and he sat with our daughter who was only about seven at the time so he was okay. This time we were going to see if he could have a two seat for himself but if the belts are different now that might not work.

Any information you can give would be great.

Oh, that would suck. Kali was one of the few rides that DH's brother was not able to go on. (He's a size bigger than your husband.) The fact that he could go on almost everything else was very encouraging for him, and he's saving up (and trying to lose some weight) to go back again. He was much more used to parks like Six Flags where he can't ride anything.

It is individual belts now. I go with a Pooh sized GF 3X-4X and she fits fine. Sorry to not be of more help.

Anyone know the reason they changed it:confused3

I have 2 guesses.
1) the seat belt shared by 2 seats meant that if there was a great difference in size between the 2 people, the belt might not hold both securely or would be too tight.

2) sometimes 2 unrelated strangers would be sharing a seatbelt, which would be difficult if the people were not the same size.

A few weeks ago I read on Allears.net that they had belt extenders for Kali and that they were very discrete about giving them out.

I work at Kali. The rafts were refitted with individual seat belts last year for safety reasons. A small person is now more secure when seated next to a large person. Seat belt extenders are not available - never have been, and probably never will be because they have a higher potential for failure than an unextended seat belt.

Occasionally a Pooh sized guest is unable to get the seat belt buckled, and will be asked to exit. We do this as quietly as possible and try to avoid any embarrassment. However this situation is relatively rare, occurring perhaps once a day or less. I have seen many very large guests enjoy the ride without difficulty.

My DS is a solid 4XL ("solid" meaning - distributed. Not all in one place like his Mom, who's all hips! :)) and is 6 ft. tall, and was able to ride with no problems. Thank goodness, because it is his favorite AK ride!!

I work at Kali. The rafts were refitted with individual seat belts last year for safety reasons. A small person is now more secure when seated next to a large person. Seat belt extenders are not available - never have been, and probably never will be because they have a higher potential for failure than an unextended seat belt.

Occasionally a Pooh sized guest is unable to get the seat belt buckled, and will be asked to exit. We do this as quietly as possible and try to avoid any embarrassment. However this situation is relatively rare, occurring perhaps once a day or less. I have seen many very large guests enjoy the ride without difficulty.
Thanks, Guana Joe.

Thank you everyone for your replys. It does make me feel better about our trip this August and we will give it a shot! :thumbsup2

Gauno Joe,

Thanks for the info, if you have the opportunity you might want to mention to the "higher ups" that unless larger poeple on the ride is a safety issues (properly designed exenders are not) that sooner or later they are going to run into someone whoes size is realted to a qualifying disability and they are could be found to be non-compliant with ADA 2009

Please tell me when the seat belts changed... This is one of my favorite rides and was able to do it last sept.... was it before then? If so I know I fit... if not, I am not sure...

I googled this question and got this board and wanted to comment on our experience this past week. My husband who is 6'8" and 375 did not fit on the ride and was told he could not ride. Very embarassing for my husband and even though I understand the CM was just doing her job, it still put a damper on the day for us none the less. We couldn't understand why he could not fit this time as opposed to 4 years ago so this explains a lot.

Since I am always so proud Disney is so accomodating to people with special needs it was suprising they do not offer extenders and I hope eventually they will offer them.

Just and fyi, the rest of our trip was amazing and we cannot wait to get back!

It is individual belts now. I go with a Pooh sized GF 3X-4X and she fits fine. Sorry to not be of more help.
Does she need an exten

I was there about a year ago and did not fit, and was asked to leave the ride. Even though the CM's try to be gracious, it is very embarassing/humiliating to have to do the "walk of shame".
For reference, I am about 5 ft 5 inches and about 350#, well distributed... :)
Doubt I will be trying it again when we go in June...

I was there about a year ago and did not fit, and was asked to leave the ride. Even though the CM's try to be gracious, it is very embarassing/humiliating to have to do the "walk of shame".
For reference, I am about 5 ft 5 inches and about 350#, well distributed... :)
Doubt I will be trying it again when we go in June...

Oh gosh how horrible for you! I'm 5'6" and weigh 275. I wear a 24. You think I oughta skip it??

Gauno Joe,

Thanks for the info, if you have the opportunity you might want to mention to the "higher ups" that unless larger poeple on the ride is a safety issues (properly designed exenders are not) that sooner or later they are going to run into someone whoes size is realted to a qualifying disability and they are could be found to be non-compliant with ADA 2009

Gauno advised it was for safety reasons, therefor not a violation.

For the curious, I'd keep an eye on the 'Pooh sized thread' where the most current experiences will be updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter