Kali River Game Plan

In the summer, we have changed into swim suits with lightweight shorts/tshirts overtop so that we could get soaked and not worry....then just put wet clothes in a ziplock bag for the rest of the day. It was a little more work, but when my daughter was younger, it was well worth it! Poncho/feet up works unless you are the one to get drenched!

I'm not as much worried about getting my clothes wet (they'll dry fairly fast) as I am about getting my walking shoes wet. Once they get wet, they take awhile to dry out and wet shoes can cause blisters. Ouch!

I have ridden Kali 10 times in a row. Back to back on a very fun day with low crowds. We had a large group and some had ponchos. They stayed fairly dry. For sure change into flip flops...

i cannot wait to ride Kali this year its my first time riding and i plan to take a spare tshirt in my bag if things get to wet ill just change the shirt,

I'm not as much worried about getting my clothes wet (they'll dry fairly fast) as I am about getting my walking shoes wet. Once they get wet, they take awhile to dry out and wet shoes can cause blisters. Ouch!

If this is your biggest concern, put your shoes and socks in a plastic bag and put them in the middle bin. buy a cheap pair of flip flops to wear on the ride. Be aware that the bin is not all that big and it's shared by everyone so if you end up riding with a group that has a lot of stuff, it could be full. If that happens, make sure the bag can be sealed and put it under your poncho on your lap.

I think most of the fun of KRR is the anticipation that you MAY get drenched. Where's the fun of heading down the drop if you know the outcome already? The ride itself isn't that special (mostly burned trees and chainsaw noises telling the story of over-logging), but the tension of who in your raft is getting soaked is what makes it fun.

No rhyme or reason as to which seat gets soaked. We ride it just before leaving the park.

We usually get pretty wet on KRR and I try to make it one of the last things we do. Bring a pair of flip flops and put your regular shoes in the free lockers.

We usually wait to do it at the end of our day before heading back to the hotel. However, on our last trip (or maybe the one before that, I can't remember exactly), it was extremely hot for December so we both made sure to wear lightweight cotton pants and shirts and did it almost first thing in the morning. We both got soaked but had already planned to just wander around for a bit after the ride. It was so hot we were dry within a very short period of time. I wouldn't have done it if we were wearing jeans because they would take so long to dry, but it was too hot for jeans anyway. I think that we took our shoes and socks off and put them into the bins so they stayed dry.

FWIW my husband wore a poncho last time because he didn't want to get wet and he ended up just as soaked as I was if not more. It had to do with where he was positioned when we went down the one drop. All the water came rushing right at him when we got to the bottom and went in every opening of the poncho.

If you don't care what other people think... The dollar store sells clear plastic drop cloths, I believe they are like 9 x 12. They are flat and folded in plastic bag so don't take up room in your purse. I take them and wrap it around myself like a cloak and I am bone dry on all water rides. Of course, it's not the best look, but it's better then being soaked. Cheap ponchos don't go to the ground and rarely keep you 100% dry.

That's an awesome idea! Thanks, I'm going to try next time.

I rode it once in all the times I've been to Ak because I don't like getting wet. The day we were doing Blizzard Beach we went to AK first (had swimsuit on under cover up dress. I took off my coverup and DH wore surf shorts which he was wearing to Blizzard Beach and had a rash guard style shirt on. We placed our shoes and my cover up in the compartment and had disposable ponchos with us and we wore the ponchos. Didn't get wet. Headed to Blizzard Beach then. It's such a great ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter