• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kala mai ia'u

minicoopercraig

DIS Veteran
Kala mai ia'u.
In other words, learn Hawaiian. ;) I'm sorry, that's what that means.
I've been kind of pre-occupied for the last couple of months and haven't had to the time or attention span to make it over to my favorite boards.
You see, I've been planning a small vacation for myself over to the great and wonderful state of Hawai'i (It's pronounced Ha-vye-ee).
And I just returned with a buttload of pictures, if you are a friend of mine on Facebook, just look at the 5 days worth of pictures. If you're not a friend and want to see, try a search on Shymatta, and see what comes up. ANYWHO!!! Back to subject.
I had 5 days in that wonderful state, which was surely not enough by the standards of any migrating bird, I should have stayed all winter, but people would have missed me back home. I did two interisland trips:
One day on Kaua'i. (Did adventure like stuff there.)
Kauai_from_space_oriented.jpg

One day on Hawai'i. (The Big Island, saw coffee plantation and volcano.)
Big-Island.gif

And the rest on O'ahu. (That's where Honolulu and the Dole Plantation are.)
Oahu.jpg

Then, once I got home, my DP of 7 years gave me the greatest gift I could possibly ask for besides a wedding band, BUT that's a WHOLE other thread.
On Friday, I recieved a package in the mail, just a medium sized envelope, no markings on it, the return address was actually covered up by a sticker from the Postal Service, so I didn't see who it was from. So I had to wait for him to get home (Fishing trip in MD at The Solomons.) and then I could open it. He said it's an early Christmas present.
When I opened it a doctor's appointment card fell out along with a letter and some brochures. I asked him why he got me a doctor's appointment for Christmas (You'll understand why later.) and he told me to read the information that came with it. I put the letter down, and right underneath it was an information packet of iLasik surgery. The SOB made an appointment for me to have my vision corrected. :yay: :sad: :sad: :dance3:
I've been wearing glasses with a perscription of -3.75 since I was in the third grade (22 years now). I was elated, I was crying, I was jumping up and down inside. I just don't know what to think of that.
So he explained that he researched this and found the eye doctor who does all eye procedures for the Pittsburgh Steelers (and who happens to be the Asst. Professor of Opthamology at UPMC [University of Pittsburgh Medical Center]) See, here he is Dr. Mah.
And then I saw my first appointment is in two days, this Wednesday. And that if I am a candidate for iLasik, that I'll go four weeks without wearing my contacts, have another appointment for the mapping of my eye for the lasers, and then go in for my surgery a week after that. So all in all it should be done before Christmas. He didn't hide the fact that he's found the best person possible in Pittsburgh to do this and that the price is upwards of $1800 - $2500 an eye to have this done. And he said that he wants this person to do it because they are affiliated with a hospital and that if anything goes wrong AFTER the surgery, I can always go back to them.

There's a little more, but I won't bore you with the little things, but let's just say that these two things have been enough to keep me away, so if I don't post for a while after this, you'll have to understand.

Sorry again for being away so long, I'll try to keep updates flowing.

Craig

Oh my gosh, what an incredible gift!!!

I hope you loved Hawaii! We visited several islands when there, also. Ultimately, although the feral roosters of Kaua'i were interesting, we liked Oahu overall, the best.

Nice to hear from you!

What a great gift!

Congratulations!

I do hope that you are in fact a candidate. I was really upset when I found out that I was not....

Good Luck!

And he said that he wants this person to do it because they are affiliated with a hospital and that if anything goes wrong AFTER the surgery, I can always go back to them.

Craig

Come on the REAL reason is that he does it for the Steelers (did you see that game last night!)!! I am just kidding!!!

Really cool. I am to much of a wimp to do it. I also have not made it to Hawaii yet, I would love to see some pictures!

Just so anyone who reads this thread knows, I've just returned from the doctor's office about an hour ago, and it turns out I'm an excellent candidate to have the iLasik surgery, I go back on the 3rd for a follow up exam for eye mapping, then 1 week later I can have the surgery. Yeah!! Just thought you'd all like to know.

Just so anyone who reads this thread knows, I've just returned from the doctor's office about an hour ago, and it turns out I'm an excellent candidate to have the iLasik surgery, I go back on the 3rd for a follow up exam for eye mapping, then 1 week later I can have the surgery. Yeah!! Just thought you'd all like to know.

*jealous
but happy for you.... :goodvibes

Hey!

Today is Wednesday and I'm wondering how the appointment went.
I'll check out your pictures soon.
-R

Woo-Hoo! Sounds like a GREAT vaca and Lasik!!! (I am totally jealous on that count)

They said, just in case some of you haven't had your vision checked in a while, that they can do Lasik on nearsightedness up to -6.00 and an astigmatisim up to -3.00. So get your eyes checked, see if you're in that range and search out the best doctors in your areas (that's why my DP did.). I'm hoping that helps some of you, and until I have the operation, I'm spreading the good word of Lasik, then afterwards I'll let you know if you should go through with it. LOL.

That's so exciting!! What a wonderful gift!! I know quite a few people that have gotten it and they absolutly love it! I hope everything goes as perfect as it can for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter