• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

KA WA’A Luau at Aulani to Return with Increased Pricing

Can anyone share their previous experiences with this? How much of a price increase? I assume their expenses are increased because of covid precautions.

I would tell you to skip it. We just went on May 14th. We paid the 180 plus tax, so effectively 200 dollars per person with a party of 7. This is my opinion.
  • We paid for the “Preferred Seating.” Yes we got in first but there was no reason for it.
  • There were NO activities before dinner, because of Covid. We were taken to our table and that was it.
  • Our seat was in the midst of “Standard Seating. “ You can tell by the Lai you are given. There was Standard Seating in between us and the stage.
  • Food is delivered to you in bento boxes. You get a little and I mean little, sample of everything. When we asked for more of something they acted as if we were asking for their first born. It took then so long to bring a small, small amount to us that the mouthful was consumed almost immediately and when we asked for some more, we were told that the show was beginning and the food service was stopped. Our deserts were delivered to use before they delivered our tiny second helping. Again about a tablespoon, no joke.
  • The food itself, the appetizer box was not that bad but it is hard to mess up a salad and some fruit. I was there for the Pork. The fish in the box was well overcooked and super dry. The Boneless ribs were just a little softer than jerky. The chicken on the other hand was good, but I was not there for the chicken. The pork was only about a tablespoon full. See why I was upset. The second helping I asked or almost immediately was no bigger and it was delivered after desert. I know this is a repeat but it burned my backside. There were other items in the box like the Ube and the rice but I was not really there for that.
  • Back to the seating. Did I mention that I am handicapped and not too tall? There were a lot of taller people between me and the stage so my view was obstructed.
So, I would not waste my time or money unless you are there for the show. It was a very good show but not 200 dollars good. I am a DVC member and love Disney. I understand Covid is making changes everywhere but paying more for a lot less is not a good thing.
I hope this helps someone or a family deciding if it was worth it. As for me it was a real big NO.
Wait till they go back to what it used to be like before doing the Luau.

Best plan is to request Ewa Tower with a view of the Haleiwa Lawn. Then you can watch it from your balcony for free...

DEFINITELY A SKIP! Absolutely 100% agree with the previous two posters. Went to the Luau on May 15th and had the exact same experience, with one added bonus: despite paying for preferred seating, when we arrived at the luau at 4:55 (per the instructions on the tickets) we got sent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to the back of the standard seating line, which we then stood in for about 40 minutes to eventually be seated at a table that did not look at all preferred in the middle of standard seating. Come to find out we should have been sent another way by the entrance attendant, to the preferred seating line entrance, and we got an apology from the manager. That's it. Gee, thanks, I guess.

That happens, you say? Mistakes can be made? Well, except we got sent from the "Standard Seating Entrance" at one end of the luau grounds to the "Preferred Seating Entrance" at the other end of the luau grounds (not a short walk, BTW), where the person who sent us to the back of the wrong line (which of course started way back at the Standard Seating Entrance, meaning we did the walk a second time, only inside the Luau Grounds instead of through the hotel). We questioned it at the time and she insisted that was what we were supposed to do. So clearly the training broke down, and nobody ever came and grabbed us and sent us the right way to fix this, despite knowing that it had happened. How someone ended up working the Preferred Seating Entrance who did not know what to do is a mystery to me; it sure seems like that's the only thing the entrance attendant is supposed to know: which way to send the guests who show up. The Standard Entrance Attendant sure as heck knew, and wouldn't let us in there.

The view from the table wasn't very good, the food's not impressive, and the only thing the luau has going for it is the show. Service is not at all impressive, and runs really slowly. If you do go, I would almost suggest you bring your own water.

We had the Ewa tower room overlooking the luau and saw it multiple times from our balcony, where the view was way better (we were on the 7th floor).

Your money is more well spent elsewhere than on the luau as currently executed. I never saw it in the past, so I can't say how it is compared to then, but my two cents is that it's not worth the price put on it today. If you still decide to go, definitely don't pay extra for preferred seating; there doesn't appear to be any consistent value for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter