Just wondering....do you go the same time each year?

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
Having just spent my first weekend at OKW as a new member, I met a few families that go the same week(s) each year. I was wondering if the majority of you do that or change the weeks every year? On one hand I like the idea of meeting the same people each year and on the other hand I love the flexibility and change (that's why we bought).

Just curious..........

Came back yesterday from OKW.....wonderful....going back in July..........Can't wait...........Homesick already!!!

So far, we've been lucky enough to be able to make two trips each year. We really love to go in early December and have gone the first week each year since purchasing. We've also invited family along each year, and those trip dates have varied according to their schedules.

Glad you didn't make this a poll - I wouldn't have known how to vote and the systems won't let you vote more than once. LOL!
;)

We always go the 1st week of March. That just seems to be a good time for us. I think when we plan our next trip home to OKW it will be the 2nd week of March. Hopefully we will get in some warmer weather. We would like to try Christmas one year but at the rate we are going, we will never have enough points!

WE like to go in December or January. We do not go the same week each year, because we like to be able to get more than one trip in on an AP. If we go the second week of January one year, and the first week the next, we get two trips on one AP. Of course, when we have the APs, we tend to want to go more often, so we have been planning 3 trips in one calendar year, then take a year off and start the process over. Last year we had 29 days used on our APs. :bounce:

We always end up going the last week of July and the first week of August. The only time that we didn't was last year when we took the 7-day cruise. We cruised on August 12-19, then spent 4 nights at BWV. It was quite a change for us. With all of the flexibility of DVC, it amazes us the we end up at OKW the same two weeks every year. In our case, it's mostly a scheduling issue with our kids. By the third week of July, most summer activites are over and we can go somewhere as a family.

Even prior to buying DVC, the first week of May was always good for a trip to Florida/Disney World and is a fairly regular occurence. I also really like Christmas Week and would like to make the Bay Hill Invitational (mid-March) a regular trip as well. But then, I mix it up with other trips too! That's what is so great about having the flexibility to make changes.

This will be our 3rd year of going to WDW the week after Thanksgiving. Not only is it a great time to take my daughter out of school (far enough into the school year that she's settled in yet early enough in the holiday season that she won't miss any activities - concerts, class parties etc) but it's a great time weather-wise and activity-wise to be at Disney. We've had mostly warm weather with a few really chilly nights thrown in to remind us that Florida gets cold too. And when you add MVMCP, Epcot's CP and MGM's Spectacle of Lights into the mix, there's always something new and exciting to see. And did I mention the fantastic decorations at the resorts?? We were swept off our feet by the Gingerbread 'houses' at the Beach Club, Boardwalk and Grand Floridian.

After having said all that I imagine pretty soon we won't be able to take my daughter out of school anymore. As she gets older I'm sure the work will be harder and harder to make up while the teachers become less and less understanding. I guess we'll deal with that when it comes... :D

We have 3 kids in school, so we always go at easter time!! CROWDS, and more crowds!!
When the boys were younger we just took them out of school for a week. We did that last April, but when my high school son returned to school he had a hard time catching up. He is a honor roll student, but said that a week off was just too much to make up.
It seems like the teachers was jealous that we took the week off and loaded up extra hard on him.
So this year we will go at Easter Break, AND NOT take an extra week off. It was nice! The first week it was crowded at Disney and the second week was so relaxing, because everyone left for home.
So Easter it is!!:(

We usually go sometime in May, usually in the first week or two. The crowds aren't bad at this time of year, and the weather is usually pretty nice - hot but not too hot.

We make another trip sometime during the Christmas season, usually right after Thanksgiving or the first week of December. There's nothing better than WDW at Christmas! All the decorations, the Candlelight processional, the Lights of Winter, etc just seem to really kick off Christmas for us.

This will be the third year that we will be at WDW for my birthday (12/8); we like going then for the low crowds, holiday decorations, and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is usually within a day or 2 of my birthday if not right on it, so I let him throw me a 'birthday party'! Of course, now that we've joined DVC, we're also slipping in other trips on the spur of the moment. We went in early May for 4 days, and bought PAP's, so we'll try and get there again next spring before they expire...

We used to only go in January. Lately we have been getting AP's and slipping in a few other trips. We are getting back to going in January as that breaks our winter in two.

Exactly what jenny said...the week after Thanksgiving...for all the reasons she said. (jenny, how old is your daughter? Maybe we'll catch you there this year.)

The coming year will be our 4th trip that week, the first as DVC owners. Don't really know what the future holds...our kids will be 13, 11, and 8 on this coming trip. I do worry about high school, so at some point we may have to change to a school vacation time. The girls are straight A students (at the moment); my DS (8)...not. :rolleyes: But as time goes on and we don't feel so intent on commando touring, I don't think it will be a big deal to go during a higher crowd season. We'll see.

It is funny though to see pictures from other times of the year, like Dan Murphy's. Where are the Christmas trees?? ;)

We've vacationed pretty much every season, and truly take advantage of the flexibility of the point system. Although I'm sure that will change once DD reaches 1st grade. Our favorite times are in the Fall Oct/Nov, around Christmas/New Year's (been there a few times on New Year's Eve, incl. Y2K!) and in April/May. Least favorite times are the Summer months because it's just so darn HOT. Having said that, we'll be there next month for a big birthday party....LOL!

wdwoldtimer

Our kids are in 5th and 1st grades this year, and we take them out of school twice a year to take trips with us. Do they miss school? yes. But we ask for work to take along. I feel its more important that my kids spend time with their parents learning the values we want to impart in them. ANYONE can teach math and reading, only a parent can pass on love and family values.

That said, we vacation to Disney anywhere from Sept to first half of December and mid april to mid may.

Geubux....Could I borrow that quote of yours!! I totally agree with that. Last year my DD's 3rd grade teacher was so upset we took her from school for 3 days to vacation. I taught my DD some math while driving to Florida and lo and behold she was ahead of her classmates when we returned!!!!!!! I think that got the teacher even madder........My DH gets various vacations and family values are a top priority here. Just so happens DH got a summer vacation this year.

MaryAnn - my dd just turned 7 last month, and I have a 3 year old son too. I totally agree with you about not doing the commando thing anymore. Definately one of the perks of DVC. :cool: Dh and I are going to DW later this month (originally wrote 'next' month - had to change it to 'this' month ;) ;) ) and I'm not worried too much about the heat since we can lounge by the pool for as long as we want. I do want to see 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' and a few other attractions, but don't feel the need to visit the parks for the majority of our trip like I used to.

I'd love to go to Disney during the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Maybe when it becomes too much to take dd out of school we'll make April vacation our 'new' traditional time of the year to go. :sunny:

hi: so far we've gone: may-6 times, september-3 times, march-once, october-once and november-once. it does get a lot harder to take the kids out of school. my youngest's (14yo) german teacher threatened him with a lower grade if he took a week off in may. needless to say, a note to the teacher and the guidance counselor cleared that idea up real quickly. i've never had a problem with the kids bringing work with them or making it up afterwards. any of the teachers who have expressed concern have been told that while i could understand and appreciate their concerns, the vacation was going to happen. we have been able to talk to people from all over the world and the kids have been able to share some of that with their teachers.

We try and go at different times of the year. We have gone in February, April, May, October and November and this year we are going in September. Living in the midwest, we try and go when it is cold, so that we appreciate the warmer weather more. I like to check out the festivals like the Flower and Garden and the Food and Wine. I know it will be hot in September and still nice in our area, but since we don't have kids, we thought the crowds would be smaller right after Labor day. I'll probably be sorry that we didn't go later in the year. These Chicago winters sure get long!!

Geubux and rbuzzotta....

I am with you!! Quality family time is just as important (more important) than ANY schoolwork!

Do i remember much geometery? algebra? latin? chemistry? NO!!!

Do i remember family vacations and quality, uninterrupted time with those who loved me while I was growing up? YES!!!

Am I a better adjusted, loving parent for it? YES YES YES!!

When the kids were little we used to take them out for trips. Now they're in high school so we can't do that any more, too much work to miss. Now we vacation August one year and July the next. 2-3 weeks each time. This way the kids don't miss school and we get the most out of our AP's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter