• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just when we thought we could cruise!

KashasMom

DIS Veteran
Last week, just as final payment was coming due for our Feb 2022 cruise Disney extended the date to December. We were happy with that because we could see how cruises would go for the next few months. We decided to wait until December to either move the cruise or pay in full (concierge, so no refund). Well, this week school started and they've thrown a wrench into our plans. For the oldest child (middle school) she'd have to quarantine for 5 days and take a test before returning to school. Kicker is there is no remote learning and she'd have to take those 5 days as unexcused absences. For the elementary school and preK students in our group, the same would apply as far as quarantine and testing. I'm starting to believe that this cruise was just not meant to be! There's no way either of the families traveling can manage the quarantine. Are other schools doing the same (we're in NJ)?

We also live in NJ and our daughter is a senior in a private school. She is fully vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure she will still need to quarantine for some time when we return. She will just have to do asynchronous class - I'm not giving up our last vacation with her before she graduates.

We also live in NJ and our daughter is a senior in a private school. She is fully vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure she will still need to quarantine for some time when we return. She will just have to do asynchronous class - I'm not giving up our last vacation with her before she graduates.

They haven't been very flexible. Seems like our daughter may or may not get the work from her teachers. My daughter also had to have a test to go back to school because we traveled internationally but were home 9 days before school started. I'm sure they didn't apply the same requirements to families who traveled out of state to beaches, Disney, etc. And of course day 3 and one of our elementary classes has been shut down requiring all students to quarantine for 14 days. Knowing the people here, that is NOT happening. I was really hoping things would be better this school year. We're still in a bind though because the parents can't take vacation time in addition to quarantine time to be home with the kids. (As a senior, I would think your daughter is fine to go! I wouldn't give up the last vacation either.)

Interesting….I should look into this at my DDs school. I think we’re in the clear but I should double check. We’re also concierge in December so I feel locked in to sailing….but I can’t have her having to quarantine!!

I can't speak to schools here, but the corporation I worked for until July has the same policy for employees. Travel more than 100 miles from home, you have to quarantine before you can reenter the building.

Last week, just as final payment was coming due for our Feb 2022 cruise Disney extended the date to December. We were happy with that because we could see how cruises would go for the next few months. We decided to wait until December to either move the cruise or pay in full (concierge, so no refund). Well, this week school started and they've thrown a wrench into our plans. For the oldest child (middle school) she'd have to quarantine for 5 days and take a test before returning to school. Kicker is there is no remote learning and she'd have to take those 5 days as unexcused absences. For the elementary school and preK students in our group, the same would apply as far as quarantine and testing. I'm starting to believe that this cruise was just not meant to be! There's no way either of the families traveling can manage the quarantine. Are other schools doing the same (we're in NJ)?

There is no leniency for vaccinated students? In our district, vaccinated students are not subject to any quarantine requirements, even if they are living in a home with someone infected and have been exposed. As long as they have no symptoms and wear a mask (as required for all students) they can come to school.

I would be looking for a new private school the following year.

Ask them how are they checking what everyone is doing over breaks? They installing tracker apps to make sure the kids don't leave home?

I understand the idea but then make it easy. It's 2021 schools should be able to manage having remote learning being part of class especially private schools that you likely pay a ton for.

So I guess no one can visit family out of state for the holidays?

I can't speak to schools here, but the corporation I worked for until July has the same policy for employees. Travel more than 100 miles from home, you have to quarantine before you can reenter the building.
Looks like grandma will have to spend another holiday alone.

Looks like grandma will have to spend another holiday alone.
Well only if she lives more than 100 miles away. And if she lives in a care home, THEY won't let you in anyway.

Much of life operates on an honor system, in concert with the golden rule.

My point being you absolutely can count on people not following the rules because how they are crafted.

I would honor the rules but I absolutely know others wouldn't in our schools with their children.

I feel sorry for those who are yet again pretty much forced in to giving up a full year of doing any traveling as a family.

I feel sorry for those who are yet again pretty much forced in to giving up a full year of doing any traveling as a family.

and don't forget all the Europeans who have been banned from entering USA since March 2020. European families with kids in schools have now missed summer 2020 and summer 2021. Thousands of people have now pushed their Disney Parks holiday to summer 2023.

This thread is more about schools and quarantines than it is cruising, so I am going to move it to the community forum. I'll leave a redirect for a few days!

I work in a school in NH. This is exactly why I just canceled our April cruise and am in the process of booking a totally different domestic vacation. In my case it'd be unpaid time off. No thanks. But domestic travel is completely fine, so that's what we will do. We aren't giving up the opportunity for a vacation, just changing what we are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter