Just watched Governor’s press conference

First, don’t just read my response, read the comment/quote that I’m responding to. This will give you some context. There's only a few, so it shouldn’t take you that long to go through them.

If you’re still not understanding my point…here’s the bottom line:

Just because majority of new cases and rise of COVID transmission can be attributed to community spread, this doesn't mean that non-resident tourists can't unknowingly bring the virus with them.

When folks here make statements like "...it’s not tourists' fault that the virus is raging out of control" and "We actually do know where many cases are coming from and it's definitely not tourists". it's simply not an accurate statement.

Hope that helps.

I feel like you're saying the same thing...

"majority of new cases and rise of COVID transmission can be attributed to community spread" and

""...it’s not tourists' fault that the virus is raging out of control" and "We actually do know where many cases are coming from and it's definitely not tourists"."

In both cases y'all are agreeing the majority is community spread. Tourists coming and getting sick or injured definitely would add to the strain though, as well as those who are positive. Testing should help with the latter if they decide to go that route, but if they choose to stick with what the CDC recommends then it'd be up to folk to self test before they go.

Tourism dollars aren’t wanted/needed as much as perceived. Hospital care and cultivating sustainable businesses that strengthen Hawaiian people and land are what I see as the actual needs.

We have a trip planned in a few weeks, still debating on going. It looks like the restaurants, bars, gyms etc. will implement the vaccine mandate so hopefully that will help curb the spread.

OP here…we decided to reschedule our 9/5-9/12 trip…it was just to stressful…I was debating the trip even before his announcement because of the spike in cases and the risk of another lockdown…after 4 hours on the phone last night between DVC and CHase travel we are now booked for the beginning December…after our boosters and hopefully the virus will not be surging then..
DVC was great with helping me change it even though the points should of gone into holding…Chase travel was more challenging even though it should have been simple…I got hung up on after 45 minutes…then the next associate was telling me I had to add another $900 to get my ticket even though I was looking at American’s website and it says it was cheaper…thank goodness I was knowledgeable…I knew exactly what flights I wanted..I couldn’t imagine if they had to advise you..I had to get a supervisor on the line but It is done..
The kennel is switched…
It turns out good friends I met on the Dis will be there that week…so there is a silver lining…haven’t seen them since we said goodbye at the airport after sailing on the first Wonder cruise out of New Orleans in February 2020 right before COVID hit.
Good luck to everyone who has trips coming up…it such a tough decision…I know it’s not that easy to change things since everyone circumstances are different..

OP here…we decided to reschedule our 9/5-9/12 trip…it was just to stressful…I was debating the trip even before his announcement because of the spike in cases and the risk of another lockdown…after 4 hours on the phone last night between DVC and CHase travel we are now booked for the beginning December…after our boosters and hopefully the virus will not be surging then..
DVC was great with helping me change it even though the points should of gone into holding…Chase travel was more challenging even though it should have been simple…I got hung up on after 45 minutes…then the next associate was telling me I had to add another $900 to get my ticket even though I was looking at American’s website and it says it was cheaper…thank goodness I was knowledgeable…I knew exactly what flights I wanted..I couldn’t imagine if they had to advise you..I had to get a supervisor on the line but It is done..
The kennel is switched…
It turns out good friends I met on the Dis will be there that week…so there is a silver lining…haven’t seen them since we said goodbye at the airport after sailing on the first Wonder cruise out of New Orleans in February 2020 right before COVID hit.
Good luck to everyone who has trips coming up…it such a tough decision…I know it’s not that easy to change things since everyone circumstances are different..

December is off season and you'll enjoy low crowds. The past few years, December weather has been wonderful! Morning hikes are cool (for Hawaii anyway), skies are blue, and afternoons are warm enough for even my scrawny little 3yo to swim until the sun goes down. Aulani's Christmas decorations will be up, holiday merch will be available, and you'll have a GREAT time!

The kennel is switched…

I'm glad you were able to make a decision that works for everyone! We're leaning towards cancelling as well, but verified we lose 50% of our VRBO on Maui and of course the DVC rental. Since we splurged on first class flights we would have a TON of credit to use on Alaska in the next year to boot. Since we'd lose so much $ we wouldn't reschedule - well and because we already have booked plans for all our 2022 vacation time. Only 4 days to decide, or the VRBO goes to 100% as well. :scratchin

I'm glad you were able to make a decision that works for everyone! We're leaning towards cancelling as well, but verified we lose 50% of our VRBO on Maui and of course the DVC rental. Since we splurged on first class flights we would have a TON of credit to use on Alaska in the next year to boot. Since we'd lose so much $ we wouldn't reschedule - well and because we already have booked plans for all our 2022 vacation time. Only 4 days to decide, or the VRBO goes to 100% as well. :scratchin

We have a trip planned in mid-September and we are still planning on going. I would encourage you to look up what the Mayor of Honolulu said yesterday. Basically said that he doesn’t want a lockdown, likely vaccine passport, and it’s not tourists causing the current spike.

Obviously you absolutely have to do what you are comfortable with, and that might be not going. We were at Aulani in February and had an amazing time, Ko Olina does feel very safe to us as it’s far less crowded than many other spots. All the best whatever you decide to do.

We are scheduled to be there in 3 weeks. Doubtful we will cancel unless we have to.

I wonder logistically, how long the full effect of the Governors plea takes to make an impact... We have 2 nights booked in waikiki and that price dropped the week before his announcement, and then again a couple of days ago... I think even the news stories about rising cases and now the govs rhetoric is slowing tourism... Plus school is back etc...

When I called the waikiki hotel and asked them basically "should I still be come" the guy sounded like he was in tears, and said if they close us down again they will go out of business.

It may actually be a great time to go... Anytime crowds are lower for me it makes for a much more enjoyable time.

We are scheduled to be there in 3 weeks. Doubtful we will cancel unless we have to.

I wonder logistically, how long the full effect of the Governors plea takes to make an impact... We have 2 nights booked in waikiki and that price dropped the week before his announcement, and then again a couple of days ago... I think even the news stories about rising cases and now the govs rhetoric is slowing tourism... Plus school is back etc...

When I called the waikiki hotel and asked them basically "should I still be come" the guy sounded like he was in tears, and said if they close us down again they will go out of business.

It may actually be a great time to go... Anytime crowds are lower for me it makes for a much more enjoyable time.

In my opinion the Governor said what he had to say, but his actions have yet looked to shut down tourists and thus most businesses.

I think the business, especially the local ones, will be very appreciative of those who still make the trip out. And crowds are likely to be lighter, weather great, so we are super excited…and it’s not like Covid isn’t in our hometown, so we might as well enjoy the pools and beaches at Aulani.

PBS Hawaii had a good show on tourism impact the other night with a number of community members/mayors with current insight. Aside from that, the maxed out island hospitals and rapidly rising numbers are the biggest concern and I can’t stop thinking of that.
I haven’t seen any evidence of slowing here.

I am worried as well, i have rented DVC points for the end of October and am getting more stressed as i read more of the news. All but one of my family are vacinatted (9 year old, and hoping to get that done as soon as she can get it). We had to cancel last years trip and are very excited about going this year. Hopefully with some small changes in Hawaii they can slow down infection rate and keep the hospital system from going down.

I will also say that the family owned business we use for transportation from the airport to Aulani and back, is extremely thankful that we are coming out.

People have a livelihood and families to take care of. Doesn’t mean going is right for everyone, just that there are a lot of different angles to what is happening.

Do not cancel if you are going to lose money/points etc. oh my God. If they don’t want fellow US citizens coming in - fine, let them do it/try (From a legal standpoint good luck). But you shouldn’t suffer the economic consequences.

1 in 3 jobs in Hawaii are related to tourism. They are not going to close their “borders” - it’s like saying Wisconsin won’t let someone in - it’s bonkers.

Do not cancel if you are going to lose money/points etc. oh my God. If they don’t want fellow US citizens coming in - fine, let them do it/try (From a legal standpoint good luck). But you shouldn’t suffer the economic consequences.

1 in 3 jobs in Hawaii are related to tourism. They are not going to close their “borders” - it’s like saying Wisconsin won’t let someone in - it’s bonkers.

Very good points. Certainly no one should go if not comfortable, but if you want to go and follow the guidelines, then go and do not feel bad.

I agree we are heading out to Hawaii next Saturday and will be spending 8 days starting Sept 10th at Aulani for our 30th anniversary. Both me and DW are vaccinated and will be following any protocols that are set. I have spoken to the few excursions that we have booked and have been told that nothing has changed. We will adapt to what we need to

Very good points. Certainly no one should go if not comfortable, but if you want to go and follow the guidelines, then go and do not feel bad.
I should say, when we went to Hawaii in early July we were extremely careful in the weeks leading up to. We chose a time after schools closed for us and we had the testing requirement. And every member of our party that could be vaccinated was. But the thought of people being coerced into losing (many) thousands of dollars rubs me the wrong way. Particularly when nobody would make a similar calculus for MORE stressed hospital systems in other states, ahem, Florida.

I should say, when we went to Hawaii in early July we were extremely careful in the weeks leading up to. We chose a time after schools closed for us and we had the testing requirement. And every member of our party that could be vaccinated was. But the thought of people being coerced into losing (many) thousands of dollars rubs me the wrong way. Particularly when nobody would make a similar calculus for MORE stressed hospital systems in other states, ahem, Florida.

Well, Florida at least has some closer options than Hawaii for sharing the load... I do feel for them in a special way as they are an island. My husband sounded more certain he did not want to go this morning. Maui should be hitting their peak in a couple weeks, and then it should get better there, versus Oahu which supposedly won't peak until later in September. This all just models though; reality can of course turn out very different.

I mentioned the idea of skipping Oahu and going home after our 9 days on Maui - he seemed intrigued by that so I'll let him ruminate another day or two and then check in again. They are asking folk to stay away from the smaller areas like Hana which is easy enough for us, we've been there before and we know we'll be back again eventually. We have a couple reservations for dinners but they're for outdoor or open air places which would be fine - to be honest we mostly eat simple stuff like poke from Foodland and take away on our trips so we can be flexible with beach time and get stuck somewhere without caring. The one indoor dinner reservation we have we're cancelling for sure. We can cancel the snorkeling trips but they're open air obviously too so I'm not even sure what the real risk is there.

FWIW yes, we're both vaccinated so that's not a concern at all if there was something that necessitated it. We were both planning on testing before we leave as well even though its not required just to be sure.

PBS Hawaii had a good show on tourism impact the other night with a number of community members/mayors with current insight. Aside from that, the maxed out island hospitals and rapidly rising numbers are the biggest concern and I can’t stop thinking of that.
I haven’t seen any evidence of slowing here.

The hospital situation is giving me the most concern. We’re a party of seven. Four of the adults over 60 have what would be considered “underlying conditions.” I’m not sure I would feel comfortable bringing us somewhere where the hospitals and ICUs are struggling to cope with large patient loads. We haven’t made our decision yet, but will shortly.

What are you all hearing about the wave duration? Vaccination rates and highly transmissible delta variant are the two different factors in this wave, so you would think this wave would behave differently than past waves….

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter