Just wading into scary waters

What time of year do you plan to travel? Are you basing the 300 points off the Riviera point chart?

What other resorts do you like? Do you want to use your points at multiple resorts?

I would be very hesitant of buying at Riviera. Too many unknowns with the resale restrictions.

What time of year do you plan to travel? Are you basing the 300 points off the Riviera point chart?

What other resorts do you like? Do you want to use your points at multiple resorts?

I would be very hesitant of buying at Riviera. Too many unknowns with the resale restrictions.
We plan on going in late Jan/early Feb for a full week with the whole crew and probably a 4 or 5 day every fall, just the 2 of us. We’ve stayed and loved numerous resorts: AKL, GF, BW, Poly are our favorite. I was basing 300 on the Riviera points and one of the above resorts each year

We plan on going in late Jan/early Feb for a full week with the whole crew and probably a 4 or 5 day every fall, just the 2 of us. We’ve stayed and loved numerous resorts: AKL, GF, BW, Poly are our favorite. I was basing 300 on the Riviera points and one of the above resorts each year
If you plan to go in the fall and want to stay in an Epcot resort, you'll need to own there. Riviera might suffice with the use of the sky liner system. Don't plan on booking BWV in the fall with any other resort points.

For the fall trip, especially if booking a studio from the 2 of you, your going to need to own at one of the places you most want to stay at because there may not be any opportunity to change. Certainly nothing you can count on. If that’s 5 nights in a standard view studio at BWV including a full weekend that’s going to take approx 60 points. AKV savannah view? Approx 85 points. PVB standard view? Closer to 100. Riviera standard? Closer to 90 and preferred view close to 110. So there’s a big difference when looking at the points required.
Then will the whole crew be in a 2BR? You could range from 255 points in an AKV standard view to 300+/- for BWV to 370 or so at Riviera or 400 for VGF.

For the fall trip, especially if booking a studio from the 2 of you, your going to need to own at one of the places you most want to stay at because there may not be any opportunity to change. Certainly nothing you can count on. If that’s 5 nights in a standard view studio at BWV including a full weekend that’s going to take approx 60 points. AKV savannah view? Approx 85 points. PVB standard view? Closer to 100. Riviera standard? Closer to 90 and preferred view close to 110. So there’s a big difference when looking at the points required.
Then will the whole crew be in a 2BR? You could range from 255 points in an AKV standard view to 300+/- for BWV to 370 or so at Riviera or 400 for VGF.

Don't count on getting a standard view studio at BWV - budget for Boardwalk or Pool/Garden view (they cost the same) and when you do get a standard view, rejoice!

I don't know if this consideration has been mentioned here: We have 200 points at BLT and 2 children (18 and 16). We bought when we were aged 45 so there is a good chance that we might not be interested/able to take trips when we are 80+ years old. I wish I had instead bought two 100 contracts at BLT in the same UY so that I could hand over an equal contract to each kid, either in my will or by having them take over the contract. Something tells me that a 'gift' or 'inheritance' of a 200 point contract will be a financial burden to one or both of my children when the time comes and I certainly don't want the sharing of a contract to cause any problems between them. Our guide did mention this to us at the time we bought but we didn't thoroughly consider the future ramifications of only owning 1 contract. Not sure what extra costs come with buying smaller, multiple contracts (although I'm sure there must be some). I would definitely keep my first contracts at the same resort though, so that the points can be pooled for an 11 month reservation.

We have 300 points. We started with 200 originally thinking we would go once a year and it was enough points to get a one bedroom at kidani (where we own) for a week. We got an extra set of points our first year (because Kidani wasn't open yet) so we were able to stay in a two bedroom (we have 3 kids). With banking points and skipping one year; we were able to do this for 5 years. After that we decided to add on 100 points at BW. This was the best thing for us because we started doing what your plan is. Going once a year with our kids and once a year ourselves. Love it! I think 300 points is a good amount to be able to do that. We usually go once in November and March.

We do want to buy direct for cache ( pixie cache if you will)..."New" has an appeal as well. We're not going to finance, as we planned on getting some money out of our home that we own.

Buying direct has some value if AP discounts continue to be offered. The other stuff is mostly a bunch of hand waving.

A very few people get to stay in a new resort on opening day. After that, all timeshares are "used" whether purchased direct or resale.

If you have a negative surprise (divorce / job loss / health issue / etc.), it sounds like you are putting your house on the line to purchase a timeshare. Think twice about that one.

Based on your initial questions, you should really spend another 3 or so months learning about the system before buying in, IMO.

Buying direct has some value if AP discounts continue to be offered. The other stuff is mostly a bunch of hand waving.

A very few people get to stay in a new resort on opening day. After that, all timeshares are "used" whether purchased direct or resale.

If you have a negative surprise (divorce / job loss / health issue / etc.), it sounds like you are putting your house on the line to purchase a timeshare. Think twice about that one.

Based on your initial questions, you should really spend another 3 or so months learning about the system before buying in, IMO.

We are taking it easy, and aren't just using the HEL on DVC. We have home improvements, and a kid entering art school too. We are soaking up all the info we can, and these boards , as always, have been remarkably helpful

Don't buy for perks because they can disappear overnight. Buy because you want to stay in a DVC resort using your DVC points and it's the resort you like the best.

I would also add that if possible buy small contracts, if you ever decide to sell they seem to go much faster and for more money when compared to higher point contracts.

If you plan on buying resale there are many resale sites you should check, just do a google search for DVC resale. Some sites are much higher priced then others...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter