Just the two of you?!

We had dinner at BOG once and were seated next to another party of two and had the same server. He was so attentive to them and essentially ignored us. Pretty awkward when our tables were literally six inches apart and the difference in service was so obvious. I don't know what his deal was, but it wasn't party size.
that is really weird. I mean, as I said, we've all had bad service for probably a million reasons. Who even knows why. Some are weirder than others. I have read some doozie stories here and I had horrendous service at Narcoossees where the meal for two ran about $250 - like you'd think a $50 tip would be worth showing up and asking if someone wants a second glass of wine. Could have nothing to do with you at all but a bad day for the server. I generally try to be understanding but at some point the inflated prices at Disney make me lose patience.

that said I've had some of my best service at some of the places where people are panning it here. LTT we had a great server, the kid ordered the kid AYCTE platter... server brought the salad first and I said "oh my goodness, I forgot to tell you that he won't eat the salad, I'm sorry!" and she said "no worries, why don't you enjoy it?" And I loved that salad so much, I ordered it alone next time I went in there. I ordered a kid's pot roast so she knew this was not a big ticket table, and when the big ooey gooey toffee cake came for my son the server brought two spoons and said to him sternly "now you are going to share with mommy, right?" and then winked and left. When she came back she asked how everything was my son, who is on the spectrum and very straightforward and literal told her that he thought it was too much food on the platter for a child and he felt bad wasting it. That he really liked the pot roast the best and should have ordered a pot roast kid's meal but he doesn't want green beans and did want the mac and cheese on the platter. She told him next time order the pot roast and they will sub out the mac and cheese. I left her a really nice tip, she was so sweet and engaging - it was a high percentage but based more on what it would have been if I had ordered an adult meal instead of a kid meal.

Next time we went to LTT, I ordered a side salad, we split an adult pot roast with the mac and cheese subbed for the green beans. They messed up and brought the green beans and when the waiter checked on us about 10 seconds after it showed up he apologized and ran out two crocks from the platter full of mac and cheese. We were trying to eat light and here we had almost a full platter again. We did save room for the ooey gooey toffee cake but again we were a table of 2 with a low bill (I would say it was under $40 with tip and AP discount) but we were still treated very well.

Bad service just happens sometimes but I don't think there is an overwhelming trend about it being smaller parties or even lower bills. There are tons of reasons and you may never know why! So definitely sympathetic to the OP's run of bad luck, I just think the overwhelming response is it's due to something other than party size.

We have had that happen at Ohana, once. I don't think it was because we were a 2 top, but the waiter was just.. bad.

We had an exceptionally awesome server at Rose & Crown a few weeks ago. She commented on my Dr Who/Ducktales shirt, and we had a long conversation about the show. At the end, she brought us cupcakes and drew a Tardis and a Dalek on my receipt. This, even though I ordered a kids meal. I believe her tip that night was higher than the actual bill.

I think it's probably luck of the draw, like anywhere else.

DW and I travel just the two of us and have at least one TS meal a day while at Disney, and while we've had some experiences that were better than others, I can honestly say that we haven't had anything like what you're describing.

Our party is just DH and I and we have never noticed that we were treated as less than just because there were only two of us. The only time we were taken to a table that was really a terrible table was at Rose and Crown and I just asked the seater for a different table. He had to go check the chart, but was glad to find us another table.

Party of 2 - empty nesters checking in... or Hi yes checking in with a party of the whole family and grand-kids..... more often is just us party of 2.

We have not really experienced this sort of service... Now we have gotten some tables that we were like no, we are not sitting in the aisle, or basically in the bathroom or kitchen breeze way... no problem we will wait for a normal table...then magical they find something else...

What I have noticed that sometimes if the hostess has no idea what is going on that when things start to running amok...over seating or double seating, or giving one server to many large tables can create havoc for the rotation, and the server is in weeds right off the starting line...

With a wheel chair, or scooter... seating at times can pose a problem, due to the set up of the restaurants, and keeping within code, keeping the aisle free and clear... as a suggestion you might need to ad in a note in when making ADR's that there is a wheel chair or scooter, and remind them when checking in... tell them your needs... My wife or whoever is in a wheel chair or scooter, and can transfer or she or he can not transfer to a regular dinning chair or booth...

When I was a server a long long time ago... I preferred 2 and 4 tops... I really disliked big parties...for me they were to needy, demanding, and would run you to death, and not tip worth anything...

As far as food, this is the kitchen... if something isn't right ask for a manager to address the problem, the server has no control over the kitchen line...

At any time during a meal, and you feel that you are not receiving proper service or that the food is lacking you have to speak up, ask for a manager... If you don't make them aware then how are the going to know what happened...

It’s good to see people have had great service, especially as a party of two. Not all of ours have been so bad, but visiting 2-4 times a year and having a sit down daily, I think maybe they have slipped on service in the past 3 or 5 years.

We don’t use DDP anymore, but for the two of us a sit down will generally bring at least a $75 bill. That’s a $15 tip on one table that’s going to be in and out in an hour. If a server had three tables that’s $45 an hour, and that’s the low end. Sure hey have to share tips with bartenders and bussers, but if you take $30 and hour home, I shouldn’t need to ask for a manager. A CM making $10.50 an hour bends over backwards to make your vacation great.

Maybe I am spoiled in my thinking, but servers make their money on tips. Working a Disney restaurant is a huge step up from a Waffle House or being in custodial.

Last edited:
We are a party of two and have been going to WDW 2-4 times a year over the past 10 years, with at least 1 sit down meal a day, and do not have the same experience with poor servers, sure, we have gotten a less than stellar server a time or two, but for the most part we have received perfectly good service. Two servers over that time really stick out as terrible, one a few years ago at Narcoossee's that was just awful and didn't have the time of day for us, and even neglected to bring out the specialty dessert that my husband ordered in advance and had reminded her of. The second, I had to ask for a manager to rectify, as I couldn't even get another mimosa from her or coffee refill during CA Grill brunch, she was just completely absent from the entire restaurant any time I looked around, and that brunch is too expensive to miss out on included mimosa refills! We have also been as larger groups and never noticed a difference in how servers interacted with us, the third worst server we have had was at Morimoto with a table of 5, I am pretty confident that one of the women we were dining with had to ask for soy sauce for her sushi at least 6 times before she got it.

We have had many, many poor tables though. DH and I just laugh it off, we figure everyone gets a bad table at some point, and we have gotten awesome tables too so it all works out.

I've had similar experiences, PJ. Agree with you.

My experience is a solo guest during free dining.

Not every dining experience is terrible and I've also had some great service and interactions with wait staff.

I've had a few terrible ones and gone to the podium and asked to be reseated. That doesn't always work well and at the very least delays my meal by 20 mins or more.

But by and large the general trend is toward being ignored at every step of the dining experience in favour of parties of 4 or more.

The tip is king. 4 tops or more are simply preferred.

It’s good to see people have had great service, especially as a party of two. Not all of ours have been so bad, but visiting 2-4 times a year and having a sit down daily, I think maybe they have slipped on service in the past 3 or 5 years.

We don’t use DDP anymore, but for the two of us a sit down will generally bring at least a $75 bill. That’s a $15 tip on one table that’s going to be in and out in an hour. If a server had three tables that’s $45 an hour, and that’s the low end. Sure hey have to share tips with bartenders and bussers, but if you take $30 and hour home, I shouldn’t need to ask for a manager. A CM making $10.50 an hour bends over backwards to make your vacation great.

Maybe I am spoiled in my thinking, but servers make their money on tips. Working a Disney restaurant is a huge step up from a Waffle House or being in custodial.

yeah no one is not sympathizing with your crappy stream of luck and you are right that even though it is Disney, they should not view those tips as a "gimme" - in fact, especially at Disney since prices are so inflated, service should always be stellar

but people are servers so it varies.

I will say that I do hold my breath when they realize there is basically a $30-40 bill at my table at a TS where it would be double that if I ate more but I have not run into any issues with that yet. In fact some of my best experiences were under that circumstance! I guess I just got lucky to get a very good server who doesn't change their level of service based on that.

At Liberty Tree Tavern we didn’t even get a platter. Parties of two are only brought plates of meats, stuffing, etc and a gravy boat. This may be because the two top tables are so small,----------

Buffetts and AYCTE as a whole have horrid service when we go as a couple, -------------

Does it matter how it's served if the complete meal is there? DH & I ate there a few months ago and ours was served the same - that wasn't an issue with us, but we won't be back, but not for that reason - our pot roast and brisket was half fat, but as we had plenty with the turkey, we left it at that.

As for the service at buffets, etc. we have never had problems in that regard.

Not the same, but, they like to sit us near the bathroom or serve station.

This!! It's happened to us a few times, and we will not accept!

We have not really experienced this sort of service... Now we have gotten some tables that we were like no, we are not sitting in the aisle, or basically in the bathroom or kitchen breeze way... no problem we will wait for a normal table...then magical they find something else...

I agree! It happens more in our home area than at Disney, but, like you, we just say we'll wait - not sitting where we'll have a constant traffic pattern by us. Have seldom had any issues in regard to service or seating at Disney.

OP worry for the bad luck . Other than 1 trip when went went with family we are always a party of 2. We have had so-so to great service every trip . We usually book early lunch times so our wait isn't bad. I find Mama Melrose seems to get backed up so we now go for the earlier lunch we can find ( our 1 dinner experience was bad long wait and rushed service ). One of our best servers from our last trip was there as opposed to the worst the trip before.
We actually got seated early at Art Smith's. A lot may have to do with who is at the podium as we got a 4 top both visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter