• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned from 12- day trip. Who provides the magic?

best days

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

Long time lurker and not someone who posts much, but after returning from a 12-day split stay between Kidani and OKW, I feel the urge to post, which really saddens me to be honest.

My Disney love affair began almost twenty years ago when I came with my future wife with her family to OKW. As someone whose own family couldn’t afford vacations, Disney World was like heaven. My father-in-law would point out to me how Disney did everything “just right” and I could see it everywhere I looked. Two years later, I married his daughter and two years after that we became DVC members.

We last visited Disney as the pandemic began and had to book an early flight home. We returned this summer for the first time- so excited, but cautious about knowing that the world and Disney has changed a lot the past few years. Maybe I need to keep this in mind, but man, oh man, I wasn’t ready for what hit me. I’m not going to commit to saying that the Disney magic is gone, but it is requiring a whole lot of work to find it and usually at the customer’s expense.

Some things that really made me just so sad:
- Magical Express- Sunshine Flyer did a great job, don’t get me wrong, but how Disney have decided to surrender this magic, I will never know.
- hand sanitizer stations are pretty much non-existent. The pandemic is over at Disney.
-Bell Services- I called at Kidani for our bags to be delivered to our room; they said no problem and proceeded to remind me that baggage handlers work for tips. When did reminders like this ever happen? I also waited one hour for clean sheets when one of my kids had an accident and another hour for a kettle. Disney has never been like this.
- Have a Magical Day! Ok, staff have clearly been told not to say this, have never been taught to say this or simply don’t give a damn. In twelve days, I had a CM say have a magical day to me. I don’t really care, I’m a grown adult, but that was always part of the magic and reminded you that you really could get close to something that is other-worldly at Disney. Now, it’s the generic, “have a good evening.”
- Internal Transportation at OKW is a sick joke. We waited for 45 minutes one evening to get back to our room and then gave up and walked. Way to bring the magic, Disney. We have a lovely evening, then have cranky kids waiting and waiting to get back to our room and before long we are all arguing as we walk back to Turtle Pond. Bye bye magic!
- the food at the Kidani pool was tragic. We get to Kidani from the airport at noon and want something to eat to tide us over till dinner and really get us in the mood for a great trip. No turkey available for turkey sandwiches and the ham sandwiches they have inside of stale pita bread was so bad I wouldn’t even give it to my enemy’s dog.
- a small thing- but there are no coasters in any rooms- you know what people do with those cardboard coasters, Disney? They take them home and use them and look at them and remember the good times and yearn for more. Why do away with them? Everywhere you look is nickel and diming.

I guess overall, what I noticed is that the Magic is there if you are willing to find it- it isn’t coming to you like it always did. I was new to the whole Genie + thing and really liked it a lot. Typhoon Lagoon was a total blast and I loved how they had DVC ticket rates.

I will be back next year, but I have to tell you all, I’m so sad at how the way I feel right now is that Disney magic is only coming back if I am willing to make-do, over look, be beyond patient and forget about the Disney World of ten years ago.

I just wrote out a long and detailed post about the positives and negatives we encountered last week but then I got an error message and my draft is gone. :badpc:

It's too late to rewrite the whole thing, but in any case, we had a lot of similar experiences. I totally miss the Magical Express and their bag delivery service. Our bellman also told me it's a tipped service when he started loading our bags on the cart. At three different carts (in different parks), I couldn't get a straw after buying a soda for $5. They all told me I had to go get a straw at a counter service location or restaurant if I wanted one. Not sure what's the deal with that, I ended up taking extras and carrying them in my bag. I found it totally cheap and bizarre to not supply straws when selling a bottle of soda for $5.

I found the overall experience at counter service locations to have gone way downhill (limited options, incorrect orders, lukewarm/subpar food).
We encountered some less than enthusiastic CMs here and there over the course of our 9 day stay that were not up to the usual Disney standard.

On the upside, my family had a FABULOUS time at our resort and the parks. Really a fantastic time. I preferred Fastpass+ (both that it was free and also that I could preschedule three attractions). At least Genie+ worked well for us and we got onto every ride we wanted to at least one time during our stay. I found the resort and parks to be very clean and well maintained. We had wonderful servers at every sit down restaurant we went to (really they were all great). We had surprisingly good luck with the transportation all week and never waited more than 5 minutes (for the monorail, bus or ferry). I was very happy to find photo pass photographers frequently throughout the parks (and even a few times at our resort). So we also encountered a lot of positives. :love:

I'm not sure that the value is the same with the resort prices way up, ticket prices up, extra costs to get to/from the resort, Genie+, ILL, etc.. I'll have to weigh the different travel options available. My family LOVES Disney and I've gone since childhood (I'm turning 50 so it's been a few years lol). Disney has never been inexpensive, but it's always been good value for your money, I have to think over whether or not that's really still the case.

Sad to say that we had a similar experience in June.
Our resort and the CM’s there were fantastic, but the parks were missing a lot of the simple magic we enjoy- to include “Good morning, Princess” and “Have a magical day.”

We much preferred Fastpass to Genie, and my DH was surprised by the nickel-and-diming park-wide.
He says he is done with Disney… I am hoping to read that some of this turns around, so I can convince him to try again!

but there are no coasters in any rooms- you know what people do with those cardboard coasters, Disney? They take them home and use them and look at them and remember the good times and yearn for more. Why do away with them? Everywhere you look is nickel and diming.
I totally agree with everything you said and regarding coasters, I think it's so dumb of them to take them away. Give me a break. If I didn't use (or my DD in the next room didn't use), I definitely took them home and thoroughly enjoyed them on my desk. I've spent ridiculous money on souvenirs on our massive amount of trips these past 50 years. I think a paper coaster isn't a big deal for them to give. (and save the furniture.)

Also, I despise that the notepad and pen were taken away. I can't tell you how many times I've written on my hand while on an important call, be it with Disney or not. I finally now always travel with paper from non Disney hotels) in my suitcase. (I have always tried to have a pen on hand). Again, give me a break, Disney.
And yes, I have 3 more trips planned and just got back 2 months ago. Who's the dumb one?

Please tell us about the good stuff. I am heading down in January and hoping I am not making a big mistake. It's been 4 years since my last trip.

Please tell us about the good stuff. I am heading down in January and hoping I am not making a big mistake. It's been 4 years since my last trip.
We recently came back from a 9 day trip and while we encountered some blips here and there, we had a fabulous time. Carry some straws on you and all will be well. ;)

Sadly the Magic is going away . . . I just returned form a 9 day trip at Disney, staying at Grand Floridian. We had to wait 2 hours after normal check-in for our room. When we did get the room, the door was falling off the hinges and wouldn't open or close without picking the entire door up. They worked on it twice and it still didn't fix it. We had the large 3 bedroom grand villa and the facuets in the master bath were rusted. Cast members really didn't care much. I even told a CM that the kids were not "having a magical day" and nobody seemed to care. The CM didn't go out of their way for anything. There seemed to be an underlying theme of dissatisfaction in them.
We even had CM correct us quickly several times if we were doing something wrong.

10 years ago, the manager of the Grand Floridian took me to my car in a rain storm. That certainly didn't happen this time or anything close.

The DVC discounts seemed to be a constant problem and I was generally treated rudely when making purchases. It has now gone digital and works sporadically when checking out. An older DVC member would not be able to use the new digital access for their discounts. The CM may or may not take your expired DVC membership card depending on their mood. I did walk away from one purchase because the lady was so rude.

We paid top dollar for some sit-down Disney meals and the waitresses acted like it was a bother to refill my drink. Food is always just mediocre.

I agree with the above posts about transportation back from the parks. We waited for 45 minutes for a boat to take us back to the hotel. We could have easily walked, but we had small children.

Tried to get into Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for the 2 little girls and was unable. So I had read somewhere to try the Four Seasons Spa, which I did. For $150.00 each, each girl got a 15 minute treatment which included sloppy nail polish, little eye shadow, and a bottle of glitter poured on their head as pixie dust. We are having to use tooth brushes to get the glitter out and still have it in their hair today.

The kids really enjoyed Disney. We tried to get things upbeat around them.

Disney is still fun, but it's nothing like it used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter